Harry Connick Jr.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

When you send these emails/requests, do you try to flatter them first or just ask for their autograph?

When you send these emails/requests, do you try to flatter them first or just ask for their autograph?
@Mike121

For everyone I write to or email, I always open with compliments regarding their work, and do try to be sincere. For what it's worth, I only write to or email people whose signatures I actually want, or (more infrequently) plan to use for a custom to give away, etc. I often see addresses get a ton of pending requests when someone generously starts signing and I can't imagine everyone who sends an email is sincerely wanting a signature for their own collection. I try to be respectful and limit my requests, both via US mail and email.

In Harry's case, I grew up listening to his music (my Grandparents loved him and had all of his CDs!) and went with my Aunt to his show on the West Side of Chicago in 1995. We got to meet him after, and he was SUPER friendly, though he had just put on a 2+ hour show! I sent him an email note reminiscing about our meeting that day, and how I really appreciated his kindness and generosity for everyone, including 14 year old me that day!

Blessings,

Kevin

I often wonder how tired of these kinds of requests some of these guys must get. I imagine it's a delight to read something like what you're talking about. I'd also imagine the fact that you only send to folks who you actually want, and have had some kind of personal experience with (be it in person or otherwise), probably increases your chances of getting a return. I have a feeling you probably brought a smile to Harry Connick Jr.'s face with that request. Mine wouldn't be nearly as interesting. When I was trying to learn piano I came across his online course and ended up using it quite a bit to help learn. When I saw this one my immediate reaction was that this would be a cool one to hang above my keyboard since he, albeit without his knowledge, did teach me a little bit about how to play it. My wife and I watch American Idol, too, so there's that as well.

I feel like I'd probably be the same way, as far as only requesting from guys I want. I'm not even that interested in cards of guys who I don't know, or am not a fan of, so I certainly wouldn't want to mail something to them to request their autograph. In fact, there are only a few guys who I could name off the top of my head who I'd want an autograph from. Harry Connick Jr. wouldn't have been one of those guys until I read this thread. I may request one at some point, but more likely I'll forget and it'll never happen. Ha!

Thanks for the reply, @KCLJ520!

I often wonder how tired of these kinds of requests some of these guys must get. I imagine it's a delight to read something like what you're talking about. I'd also imagine the fact that you only send to folks who you actually want, and have had some kind of personal experience with (be it in person or otherwise), probably increases your chances of getting a return. I have a feeling you probably brought a smile to Harry Connick Jr.'s face with that request. Mine wouldn't be nearly as interesting. When I was trying to learn piano I came across his online course and ended up using it quite a bit to help learn. When I saw this one my immediate reaction was that this would be a cool one to hang above my keyboard since he, albeit without his knowledge, did teach me a little bit about how to play it. My wife and I watch American Idol, too, so there's that as well.

I feel like I'd probably be the same way, as far as only requesting from guys I want. I'm not even that interested in cards of guys who I don't know, or am not a fan of, so I certainly wouldn't want to mail something to them to request their autograph. In fact, there are only a few guys who I could name off the top of my head who I'd want an autograph from. Harry Connick Jr. wouldn't have been one of those guys until I read this thread. I may request one at some point, but more likely I'll forget and it'll never happen. Ha!

Thanks for the reply, @KCLJ520!

@Mike121

Honestly, I think Harry would love to read a letter like that, since I had no idea he ever had an online piano course, and he is one of the best known and most accomplished players! In fact, most of the album that made him widely known (When Harry Met Sally in 1989) was his piano music, and he sang on some tracks. That was the CD my Grandparents and I listened to most frequently! I have not watched American Idol recently, though he was always funny and very encouraging on the show, and he very much mirrored the person I met in 1995. I think he is just a genuine, down to earth kind of guy who didnt let the trappings of fame and celebrity go to his head.

There was a time I sent out to whoever, kind of when I got started, and really hit the requests hard. I eventually just decided to focus on customs, and a few other items from my childhood that I had kept, just as fun memories. I honestly think that some people do get tired of a million requests and the same form letter over and over again, and just stop signing, which is a shame. If I were in their shoes, I would like to get nice letters that are sincere, and I have had some awesome returns over the years, some individuals have taken the time to write back to me, some have corresponded with me multiple times, which has been a real thrill! I always remind myself that everyone I am writing to is a person just like me, so I write about what I would like to hear were I in that person's place in life!

Blessings,

Kevin