Has this ever happened to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timfsu2k

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Recently sold a card at a card show for $30. I was happy as I picked it up in a bigger lot and the money I made for that one card paid for the whole lot. Anyway, I got curious and looked for the card on ebay just now....it recently sold for over $130 plus shipping!!!!! Not that I am greedy, and as I said I was happy with the sale, but man that stings a bit!

I think you did just fine. Don't beat yourself over it. I'm thinking that the recent transaction for $130 was probably two bidders going hard after it, and it may not sell for that amount again.

I think you did just fine. Don't beat yourself over it. I'm thinking that the recent transaction for $130 was probably two bidders going hard after it, and it may not sell for that amount again.

Yea you are probably right...at least that is what I will tell myself! I never seem to do well on ebay anyway with those types of cards, always sell for less than I thought.

Recently sold a card at a card show for $30. I was happy as I picked it up in a bigger lot and the money I made for that one card paid for the whole lot. Anyway, I got curious and looked for the card on ebay just now....it recently sold for over $130 plus shipping!!!!! Not that I am greedy, and as I said I was happy with the sale, but man that stings a bit!
Yes, that had to sting a bit. But on the plus side, you got the rest of your cards for free and maybe you could sell a couple more and turn a profit on the lot

Waiting to see a thread titled "Check Out My Recent Card Show Steal Of A Deal" :D

Think of all the cards you've sold that don't sell for nearly as much now and you're probably way ahead.

I've done it before where I've traded a card and then come to find out that it sells for more than it booked for...and more than not I will trade away a card of someone who is just average and then they become a quick stud: the card shoots up in value and sells for a ton on ebay. Yeah it sucks, but it's the crappiness of the hobby sometimes haha

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose, just think about the times you've won and you'll completely forget about it.

I had a card that I sold for 5 bucks and then a month later it vaulted to 30 and was selling on e-bay for roughly 50 at its peak.

That stung a bit, but then I realized that the box was 80 bucks, I completed my set from it and sold some cards for a total of 20 bucks and got a trade value of about 40 for the remainder. In the end, that was roughly 100 bucks there. While my pockets were -70, I managed to knock out a complete set, make some money back and then use the other 40 to knock out portions of other sets I had not spent money on. I was still ahead.

That's the way I look at it and I why I usually throw out insane deals once in a blue moon. I always assume a 100 loss for each box in the end. I typically end up about 800 in the hole by the end of the year, but it beats any other type of vices!

This is really bringing out the humorous side of some of the Benchies...

I've been on both sides - sometimes with the same card. Picked up a Brian Wilson 2006 rookie auto for $1 or $2 at a card show. Sold it here on the Bench for $3 or $4. Figured that was not too bad until Beardmania happened and it was selling for $50 on ebay.

In fact, I get more upset when I see something that I am meaning to bid on on eBay for my PC, and I forget to place a bid, and then I see it sells for something like less than 10% of book!

In fact, I get more upset when I see something that I am meaning to bid on on eBay for my PC, and I forget to place a bid, and then I see it sells for something like less than 10% of book!

LOL... that happens to me all the time. Add a card I really want to my watch list thinking I'll get back to it. When I do... auction ended and sold for peanuts!!! Had to chuckle; glad I'm not the only one.

Adam

We're like baseball players.
They only remember the line drives that are caught that cost them a hit...not the 12 hoppers that squeak through the infield for a single.
Somehow, they'll tell you they never quite even out.
:rolleyes:

Good comments guys, thanks for giving me a little laugh out of the situation. As I said in my post, I got good money out of the card, just stings that I left $100 on the table. Full disclosure: I limit my spending severely, so if I figured up all my non-PC purchases against how much I sold them for I am no doubt ahead this year so I really can't complain.

Steffan - You are right, those fees are killers!