Have Redemption Cards with Upper Deck? Read This.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I have not bought packs in any serious quantity since probably 1998. I miss it sometimes, but not that much. I buy what I want exactly and quit wasting money on a stack of cards I don't need when the ripping is done.

They (the companies) can all dry up and I can focus on filling in the past wants!

Its sad to say, but this hobby is going down the toilet so fast its not even funny. I have a hard time justifying any purchase anymore.

Thing is, people have been saying that since at least the year in your username. It sucked because Topps was the only cardmaker and we had to accept whatever they came up with. Then we got Donruss and Fleer and it sucked because of lousy photography, dozens of errors, bad card stock, lousy rough cut cards, and they overproduced them. People were screaming about the insanity of paying $35 for a Mickey Mantle autograph at a show and how it was killing the hobby. Then Donruss and Fleer started cutting back production and prices went through the roof and it the hobby was being ruined because people couldn't find them anywhere. Then the hobby exploded and everyone started complaining how the high prices couldn't last and the hobby was doomed. Then insert mania hit and it sucked because the only thing anyone wanted was the 'gimmick' inserts. Then it was too many card companies and too many sets, so the hobby was doomed because no one could collect everything anymore. Then prices came back down and it sucked because people's 'investments' were worthless. Then came the auto's, GU'ed, serial #'ed and parallels, more stuff they overdid and the hobby was going to die because of it. Then it was the 'I bought baseball cards and some of the cards aren't baseball cards! They are destroying the hobby!' Now we're back to one company and the hobby is going in the toilet (again). We live in a time when we can collect any way we want, we have access to cards generations past never imagined, and the internet puts any card we imagine at our fingertips. There was a time a card /10,000 was beyond the means of many, if not most collectors, now nearly everyone has a card in their collections /25 or less, and a LOT of people have 1 of 1's. We can assemble an amazing collection of Hall of Fame and future HOF autographs for about the price of a blaster, and some huge additions for less than many hobby boxes. If you live in a small town in rural South Dakota, you can talk to a huge group of fellow collectors, discuss the good, the bad, what you like, what you hate, how the hobby has changed, ask for a needle in a haystack. More cards are within the reach of more collectors than ever before.

Thing is, people have been saying that since at least the year in your username. It sucked because Topps was the only cardmaker and we had to accept whatever they came up with. Then we got Donruss and Fleer and it sucked because of lousy photography, dozens of errors, bad card stock, lousy rough cut cards, and they overproduced them. People were screaming about the insanity of paying $35 for a Mickey Mantle autograph at a show and how it was killing the hobby. Then Donruss and Fleer started cutting back production and prices went through the roof and it the hobby was being ruined because people couldn't find them anywhere. Then the hobby exploded and everyone started complaining how the high prices couldn't last and the hobby was doomed. Then insert mania hit and it sucked because the only thing anyone wanted was the 'gimmick' inserts. Then it was too many card companies and too many sets, so the hobby was doomed because no one could collect everything anymore. Then prices came back down and it sucked because people's 'investments' were worthless. Then came the auto's, GU'ed, serial #'ed and parallels, more stuff they overdid and the hobby was going to die because of it. Then it was the 'I bought baseball cards and some of the cards aren't baseball cards! They are destroying the hobby!' Now we're back to one company and the hobby is going in the toilet (again). We live in a time when we can collect any way we want, we have access to cards generations past never imagined, and the internet puts any card we imagine at our fingertips. There was a time a card /10,000 was beyond the means of many, if not most collectors, now nearly everyone has a card in their collections /25 or less, and a LOT of people have 1 of 1's. We can assemble an amazing collection of Hall of Fame and future HOF autographs for about the price of a blaster, and some huge additions for less than many hobby boxes. If you live in a small town in rural South Dakota, you can talk to a huge group of fellow collectors, discuss the good, the bad, what you like, what you hate, how the hobby has changed, ask for a needle in a haystack. More cards are within the reach of more collectors than ever before.

I agree and would add that at any time you can stop collecting because of interest, money, illness, whatever, and start up again where you left off..............I've done it numerous times over the past four decades..............And for a lot of the reasons you mentioned..................But for some reason, I always come back:cool: ...............Mike

So what does this mean that everyone will dump there upper deck baseball for cheap. Or will it have the opposite effect. People with hord them for dear life? Maybe we could rebel against UD all together and bid them farewell. Even if I think they make the nicest product on the market today bar none. This is my opinion of course. But they do flood the market certain players auto's which is not good. They shoud sign player's every several years to increase demand. That is my take.