Have you ever given in to... BURBANK?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
With collecting guys that played in the 90's, it can be a long time between hits. During those dead times some of Burbank's hostages start looking... not so ridiculous :D

Have you ever given in?

I'm sure you are talking about them due to their ridiculous prices on rare Rusty Greer cards.

I sent them an e-mail once offering a deal that was something like $300 for a bunch of Greer cards I needed. The deal was VERY reasonable, something like 25-30% of high BV.

All I got in response was an extremely rude, poorly typed e-mail. Thanks to that, they will never get my business no matter how bad I want/need one of the cards.

I dont think i would even if i won the lottery... I really hate looking through all of maddux cards with 9000+ so i usually just stick with the auctions only. Mainly because of the insane prices and burbank is currently a MAJOR factor in this with 1098/9440 (11%) of the total cards listed. He's got the goods, thats for sure.

i live in the burbank area and have met the guy. i am close to a very rare topps parallel set and purchased about 20 of the last 30 i needed for the set, at about 20% above book! yes, i won't go there for anything unless it is so rare, you may never see it again! i have a couple of great stories too, about how i got over on them!

i was browsing one night on another website just looking for cards and found a 2010 topps chrome red refractor of jayson heyward listed for $10. it was burbank cards too! i was literally shaking as i tried to hurry and send a paypal payment thinking that at any moment, the transaction would be stopped and i would be informed that the card was not available. got it in the mail in a couple of days. traded it for over $100 in other stuff i needed! i am sure the owner would have killed the person who listed that card accidentally!

one other time, about 5 years or so ago, i found a 2003 topps black jeter parallel for $25! try finding that anywhere at any price let alone $25! they have another one of those listed on their site now for $130! nice to get a deal from those dudes! they really try to squeeze every last penny out of every card they sell!

don't ever sell to them neither. i have heard horror stories about if the cards are not in numerical order, they won't take them. and they pay like $5 for a 5,000-count box of commons!
sell your commons to me or better yet, give to the neighborhood kids before you sell to burbank and then they turn around and sell commons for $1 each! give me a break!

be well all.

Last edited:
Yes I have and will in the future if they have something on my wantlist!

In fact, it is POSSIBLE to flip cards BOUGHT from Burbank...you just have to know your cards.

Additionally, Burbank as dropped some prices greatly over the past years. For my guy, there were stuff that was $60 and it's now $38, etc.

But definitely would buy from them if they have what I need.

Unfortunately, the lack of precise serial #ing is what I has held me back from buying dozens more cards from them.

Yes I have and will in the future if they have something on my wantlist!

In fact, it is POSSIBLE to flip cards BOUGHT from Burbank...you just have to know your cards.

Additionally, Burbank as dropped some prices greatly over the past years. For my guy, there were stuff that was $60 and it's now $38, etc.

But definitely would buy from them if they have what I need.

Unfortunately, the lack of precise serial #ing is what I has held me back from buying dozens more cards from them.

I have bought from him a number of times over the last few years and it does drive me nuts sometimes. It seems as though the shorter my player needs lists get the more he has them hostage!

Jade, I know what you mean about the serial numbers, man not to many people understand us numbered guys but Burback is a killer on those serial numbered non-descriptions more than a killer at prices.

I actually purchased an O’neill G/U from him once not knowing much except it was numbered to a hundred and was I ever shocked it was O’neills number 21/100.

I've given in on two different occassions, and the price I paid on each card has been significantly lower than the most recent ending auction price on eBay. As jaderock stated, it is possible to get a deal fom them if you know what you are looking at.

I did once. After bidding full BV on a 2003 Topps Heritage Tommy Lasorda auto twice and being out bid I did it. Payed $20 over BV from them but now I have it. Cards are only worth what someone will pay for it. Was it worth the extra money for me? Yes.
For hard to find cards, at times you have to pay the price or just wish you had it. I have a friend that collects autos and tells me all the time that I over paid for a card. I just tell him I have the card and you don't.

A few times for the more rarer Frank Thomas cards that almost never show up on ebay. They had a 1998 Pinnacle summit Big Bang Seasonal outburst card of Frank Thomas....serial to only 35! It was based on the number of home runs they hit in 1997. It was listed for about $100.00...I emailed them that I was interested in the card and that beckett had the card booked for a high of $35.00. They replied back that the list prices on their cards was not updated.....offered the card to me for $45.00 and I took it. Best regards, David

A few times for the more rarer Frank Thomas cards that almost never show up on ebay. They had a 1998 Pinnacle summit Big Bang Seasonal outburst card of Frank Thomas....serial to only 35! It was based on the number of home runs they hit in 1997. It was listed for about $100.00...I emailed them that I was interested in the card and that beckett had the card booked for a high of $35.00. They replied back that the list prices on their cards was not updated.....offered the card to me for $45.00 and I took it. Best regards, David

Wow, really? From what little I had heard of them they never do that. Interesting... Any idea what year that was that they did that?

i have been lucky so far and they have not had anything I needed priced above book...I have seen some insane prices on rather common stuff from them though...someone must be buying it because they are still in business lol.

I too have purchased but, generally it's because they have one of my set needs and no one else does.

Ever try gettting cards from "supercards" they are a little better but, still high to beat all heck. I have gotten 2 of my Glavine TOTT's from them. They seem to have every TOTT under the sun. Of course it's everything I want too. Allmost all Braves. I emailed them once because they were selling a Hank Aaron GU at double book price and they said we don't go by book prices, we base our prices on supply and demand, whatever.

I think I bought one 2002 Studio Proof /100 that I needed to finish the set. I had to swallow hard because I told myself I would never buy from them. It was a common card but one I had rarely seen listed for sale, so I bought it (think it was $9).

They have a ton of my 2002 Studio cards I need (most autos or low numbered cards), but I am content to keep trudging along without them. They just did a big batch dump on 2002 Studio's on Ebay, I have a saved search now that searches for 2002 Studio -burbank(what ever the rest of their name is).

They had a 2002 Studio Classics First Ballot Lou Gehrig numbered to /39 for over one hundred dollars (think they have one listed now on there for $109). I just cringed because I thought I'd never found one. Then eventually one was listed for auction and I got it for $20 plus shipping.

They must make money somehow, because if they sold their cards even at a higher rate, but not at their ridiculous prices, they would make a mint.

Todd

I'm sure you are talking about them due to their ridiculous prices on rare Rusty Greer cards.

I sent them an e-mail once offering a deal that was something like $300 for a bunch of Greer cards I needed. The deal was VERY reasonable, something like 25-30% of high BV.

All I got in response was an extremely rude, poorly typed e-mail. Thanks to that, they will never get my business no matter how bad I want/need one of the cards.

As far as my collection, I don't need much from their Rusty Greers except for some Pacific. Which scares me because at one time I did and I have a feeling they sold it/them. Maybe Totally Certified Gold and Brilliants 24k?

But Jake Reed on the other hand... I need a lot of theirs, but these are the most tempting:

98 Fleer Brilliants 24K $32
96 Select Certified Mirror Red Premium Stock $39
96 Select Certified Mirror Gold $20
96 Select Certified Mirror Blue $12

They have quite a few Rich Harden cards I need but I just am not willing to pay over full BV on Harden because you can pick up some extremely nice AUs and Patches for the min + shipping in normal auctions. I would love to get some of the Harden Topps Blacks he has though, but I could get 15 rare AU for the same price.

Just grabbed a couple of cards from them last night.

I always look to Burbank when I get lucky enough to grab a string of cards for way below what I was willing to pay. So, even after I pay Burbank price for a want, I am still within my spending limit for the group of cards as a whole. Yea their prices can be crazy, but Im not sure I have ever looked at their inventory and NOT seen a want listed.

clinton