Have you ever given in to... BURBANK?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big picture - he who dies with the coolest collection wins? :D

That, and I've seen people pass on a card they've been searching 5+ years for because they think they should only pay $5-10 and it's at Burbank (or a local dealer at a show) for $20 or so. It is their choice to buy or not buy at that price, but they act like they are being extorted because someone wants more than they want to pay for a card they literally have spent 5 years looking for.

it takes all kinds!

sure, it happens. however, most people are reasonable and will buy if the prices are reasonable, if they are true collectors. i am not even going to get into the speculators who almost ruined this hobby in the '80s and '90s! good point!

That, and I've seen people pass on a card they've been searching 5+ years for because they think they should only pay $5-10 and it's at Burbank (or a local dealer at a show) for $20 or so. It is their choice to buy or not buy at that price, but they act like they are being extorted because someone wants more than they want to pay for a card they literally have spent 5 years looking for.

Last edited:
I used to be one of those guys that said I would never buy from Burbank no matter what. Then I realized they have only one copy of several cards I have never, ever, ever, seen come up and will most likely never come up. If you are looking for a rare card from say 1994, and they only have one copy of it then you better hit that buy it button or somebody else will and you will wait forever for another one.

For die hard player collectors like myself I ask the question, "What would my snipe be on Ebay if this card did come up from another buyer?" Nine times out of ten my snipe would be as high as or higher than what Burbank is asking. I used to say if you watch Ebay long enough everything rolls around but the fact is that there are a few cards I've been waiting for since 1998 and I've never seen them hit the 'Bay ( and I search several times a day), and if they do there will be one hell of a bidding war.

Lesson: If you need it and they only have one copy you better seriously think about buying it or you'll really kick yourself.

I don't fault anyone from buying from them, if it's worth it to you, then that's the right price.

I personally don't understand their method. I would seriously consider the cards I will never see anywhere else if they lowered their prices even to BV or just below, but some of their prices just make me eliminate their business from my searches. I too think they could be making a killing if they lowered their prices - but it is their business, so if they want to sell a card for $109 + shipping that came up for auction and I was the only bidder for $19.99 + shipping, they have every right to. Just seems like a waste of time to list all those cards and maybe sell a small percentage.

Todd

If anyone can get the most $$$ for their cards, don't they do it? I do!! I remember back in the mid-200's when those Topps Black Angels cards #/54 were selling for over $100 each on ebay (when they booked only $15). I checked ebay several times per day waiting for people to list them at or near the $15 "book value". I purchased at least 10 of them at, around, or below "BV" and put them right back on ebay with $100 price tags. Got it everytime.

In a free market, why should anyone give in to Beckett and their "price guide", when it is only that - a GUIDE. They do not give the VALUES of cards. They give a guide based on "actual sales". However, they obviously cannot and are not tracking every set and every card, or they would see that some cards are ridiculously off in terms of pricing. Example? 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame ARTifacts game used. I'd love to see someone go out on ebay and buy Edd Roush, Heinie Manush, or Harry Heilmann for their $40 book value. Roush sells for as much as $275.

As much as love getting bargains on my personal collection cards, I know it is only fair to pay someone what they want for a card if A) I have the extra $$ to spend at the time; and B) If I know I might never see it again.

How much money a company could be making if they lowered their costs is their business. They obviously are making enough or they wouldn't be able to stay in business in this tough economy.

Tim

I have been looking for my 2003 timeless treasures gold serial #10 and if any shows up in their inventory....been searching for close to 6+ years. Best regards, David

Things will eventually come around. It may take a while, but they do. You might not necessarily see it though. Even with search functions that search the web and not just a certain site, you still could miss them. It could be at a shop or a show even. Consider anyone's collection. Most of them will hit the market when that person dies. There is a chance the cards could be passed down, but I see the "selling dad's collection" all the time.

You should not be ashamed to pay any price for something you want if you feel it's worth it. I think most people here who admitted to buying from this particular dealer feel like they were ripped off in some manner, but still pulled the trigger due to a desire for the item. I feel a lot better buying from trusted dealers again and again, those who treat me fair and work with me. Burbank doesn't foster that type of client and I guess likes the random hits from those buyers who are tired of waiting or not willing to wait for a better price/better experience. I have not heard too many "I love Burbank and do major business with them" comments. Why would you either? They strive to provide the lowest possible customer service. ****** businesses still get sales. That is life.

I bet the guy sees these types of threads and snickers that they are getting more publicity. It's said that any publicity is good publicity. Burbank gets their fair share of publicity among the card trading community. Some people reading these posts may check them out, while others will avoid them.

I have to agree that this business model is foolish in the traditional sense, but maybe the guy can sit on the inventory. It's much like a collector who doesn't have to trade/sell. He'll sit on a "PC" card until the deal is right. Maybe this guy doesn't need the cash flow or maybe he gets enough sales to worth through that issue. He'll never move a lot of what he is trying to sell, at least at the current prices and that is almost a guarantee.

You are missing my point.

My point is that this card company is not really a company out there to maximize their profits and make money. You proved it by what you wrote. They could care less if they don't ever sell anything at their inflated prices. Yes, their prices are inflated, again, proven by the fact that so many people, including myself, have some nice wants in their inventory but refuse to be gouged by this company.

Trust me, just read this thread and you will understand my point; if they lowered their prices and asked something even a bit more reasonable, they would make 100s if not 1000s of new lifetime customers and fill the till with cash!

So, they really are not a company in the strict sense of the word. They are just like the antique dealers who open when they want, sell what they want at the price they want, and are more interested in shooting 18 holes than making money. That is not a business and how many of us quit going to these dealers because we are not taken care of?

That is how you know a company is serious about doing business and will be around for the long haul; people vote with their feet by spending money with the companies they like and trust. From the look of things, Burbank needs to wake up so they can always be assured of paying their employees' salaries! They have quite a few now!

Burbank used to be loved by collectors because you could go into the store and go through millions of cards at your leisure. No more! Take a trip and visit their storefront. Pathetic! Totally customer "un" friendly! It is depressing just going into the store! That is not how you keep a solid customer base and make money. So, there you go; they are not about making money. Period! These people are opportunists not businessmen.

Be well.

If anyone can get the most $$$ for their cards, don't they do it? I do!! I remember back in the mid-200's when those Topps Black Angels cards #/54 were selling for over $100 each on ebay (when they booked only $15). I checked ebay several times per day waiting for people to list them at or near the $15 "book value". I purchased at least 10 of them at, around, or below "BV" and put them right back on ebay with $100 price tags. Got it everytime.

In a free market, why should anyone give in to Beckett and their "price guide", when it is only that - a GUIDE. They do not give the VALUES of cards. They give a guide based on "actual sales". However, they obviously cannot and are not tracking every set and every card, or they would see that some cards are ridiculously off in terms of pricing. Example? 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame ARTifacts game used. I'd love to see someone go out on ebay and buy Edd Roush, Heinie Manush, or Harry Heilmann for their $40 book value. Roush sells for as much as $275.

As much as love getting bargains on my personal collection cards, I know it is only fair to pay someone what they want for a card if A) I have the extra $$ to spend at the time; and B) If I know I might never see it again.

How much money a company could be making if they lowered their costs is their business. They obviously are making enough or they wouldn't be able to stay in business in this tough economy.

Tim

Last edited:
they purchased a huge hawaii collection from a man's widow who passed away a few years ago. anyway, the collection was shipped from hawaii to burbank in literally 3 shipping containers! do you know how many cards would fit into three shipping containers? it is incredible and hard to imagine!

This has been the most interesting part to me. I keep imagining a rich recluse opening packs day after day on the patio of his oceanfront home in Hawaii. :cool:

Burbank

With collecting guys that played in the 90's, it can be a long time between hits. During those dead times some of Burbank's hostages start looking... not so ridiculous :D

Have you ever given in?

Yes once. But I have been to their shop in Burbank a few year ago and honestly do not want to deal with them. Its not really about the money grubbing part. Its that I just found the particular people I dealt with there on that particualr day rude and not very helpful.

Now that Beckett appears to be shutting down parts of their website which I think has allowed dealers to list all their cards for free (is that true?) they appear now to be flooding ebay with their massive inventory of cards making searches more difficult having to scroll down past page after page of their high price cards because ebay does not allow you to Block sellers (Sellers can block Buyers but not the other way around)

Its a business and people can ask what they want for their cards. I do not begrudge that. In fact I have 1500+ 1998 TEK cards 13 years old) that when I sell (I am normally NOT a seller and rarely list cards to sell).. I sell them at High Beckett plus postage and in spite of my post stating that in several places a few buyers (not many) still whine as if I should just give them the cards they need because they want them. And in reality some buyers would foolishly spend 10-20 hours of their time (or much longer) questing for the final one or two cards for a set trying to buy them dirt cheap than pay an extra buck or two and be done. So sometimes going to a Seller-of-last-resort and buying certainly makes sense unless you do not value your time at all and are in it for the bargain hunting and questing process.

It just bugs me that I cant BLOCK certain sellers I would prefer not to do business with on ebay to eliminate time wasting scrolling.

My two cents

Carl T

Last edited:
Yes once. But I have been to their shop in Burbank a few year ago and honestly do not want to deal with them. Its not really about the money grubbing part. Its that I just found the particular people I dealt with there on that particualr day rude and not very helpful.

Now that Beckett appears to be shutting down parts of their website which I think has allowed dealers to list all their cards for free (is that true?) they appear now to be flooding ebay with their massive inventory of cards making searches more difficult having to scroll down past page after page of their high price cards because ebay does not allow you to Block sellers (Sellers can block Buyers but not the other way around)

Its a business and people can ask what they want for their cards. I do not begrudge that. In fact I have 1500+ 1998 TEK cards 13 years old) that when I sell (I am normally NOT a seller and rarely lists card to sell) I sell them at High Beckett plus postage and in spite of my post stating that in severl places a few buyers (not many) still whine as if I should just give them the cards they need because they want them. And in reality some buyers would foolishly spend 10 hours of their time (or much lopnger) questing ror the final one or two cards for a set trying to buy them dirt cheap than pay an extra buck or two and be done. So sometimes going to a self-perceived Seller-of-last-resort and buying certainly makes sense unless you do no value your time at all and are in it for the bargain hunting and questing process.

It just bugs me that I cant BLOCK certain sellers I would prefer not to do business with on ebay to elliminate time wasting scrolling.

My two cents

Carl T

Carl,

I wanted the same thing with Ebay, wanting to block certain sellers. The only way I found to was to do an advanced search and chose exclude seller and insert their name. Only problem is you have to do with every search title you use, but you can save them.

Todd

I've bought from them a couple of times when they had something I needed at a price I was willing to pay. Where I am with my "Trent Dilfer supercollection", needing maybe 30 or 40 of his non-1/1's out of a total of 1,200+, I have no clue and no care what the book value is on the cards I need. I sure know what I'd be willing to pay for them, though.

I think the complaining about Burbank's prices being over BV is a fun release for those who desire some of their cards that are priced at more than they are willing to pay. But the real issue is that they are priced above the market rate if they've been sitting in their inventory unsold for years and years. Now THAT is annoying, thinking of those piles of cards I'd like that I'd have if they were priced at a rate I was willing to pay. But hey, their choice.

Everybody just remember, they can't hold the cards forever. Eventually, years from now, somebody will be in charge that will decide to cut down on inventory and let some stuff go. Or there will be a fire, it is Southern California. Ugh that would suck!

I'm sure that happens a lot. Many people enjoy hunting for cards, it makes finding them even more satisfying. I mean, I could go buy a deer head and hang it on my wall... but just going out and buying it defeats the purpose. Plus I think they're creepy. (The deer heads).

Anyway, I shop for Jason Jennings. They had an auto from 2001 #/25 going around and around on ebay for years, for $74. They never lowered it. It's Jason Jennings!! I waited it out, and won one for $5. Then a month later, somebody listed #01/25 and I won it for $4. DLVD!! Another great example, they have 2 copies of a 2003 Donruss statline #/16. The asking price? $91. EACH! I got mine for 99 cents.

I can see how it might pay off with Jeter or Pujols cards, but Jason Jennings? It just doesn't work. They list batch after batch, cards of Jason @ $32, $50, $75. It's Jason Jennings. I have won an auction for a Topps Superfractor for $7 dlvd. I love the guy, but his cards just aren't that valuable....

Burbank note

With collecting guys that played in the 90's, it can be a long time between hits. During those dead times some of Burbank's hostages start looking... not so ridiculous :D

Have you ever given in?

Here's an email below I got from Burbank today (3/15/2011). I had offered $ 1.50 each for 13 Focus Mania cards valued at $4 each (Beckett) . Since Beckett shut down their listing page they are now moving their entire inventory of overpriced cards to ebay clogging up the ebay boards making searches more cumbersome as you have to wade through all their cards. These cards have been on Beckett for 10 years.

He first asked me to go back and list each card with his asking price.

Burbank- email

No Thanks!!!! We pass on your ridiculous offer.

The bad pub is from people just like you who wants to pay $ 1.00 for a $ 5.00 card. We'll take the bad press for it. We didn't become the largest card shop in the world because we are ripping people off. Our 7,500 sq/ft facility cost money to operate. It is customers like you who try to rip off dealers.

We just go on doing what we are doing shipping over 300 orders a day 6 days a week which is over 20,000 cards a week out of over 30 Million card Inventory.

Good luck finding those cards from other dealers at your
prices. Maybe you can blast them also for their pricing.

I rather keep those cards for another 5-6 years. We don't need your $ 20.00.

Stephen

Nuff said. I highly recommend you do not do business with Burbank. I know I won't again. I remember visiting their store once in Burbank before they moved around 7-8 years ago and was surprised how rude they are in person as well. Oye vey

Thanks for your business!

Stephen Veres
Burbank Sportscards
1500 W. Burbank Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Tel: (818) 843-2600

What is this about Beckett? I just ordered from Burbank yesterday.

I was following a Precious Metal Gems Jake Reed on Ebay, and it ended up selling for about the same price as I could get it from Burbank.

I guess the moral of all this is "Educate yourself". I prefer not to frequent business establishments who offer shoddy and rude customer service. The email from Stephen at Burbank cards, proves they could care less how they treat you and serve you. I know this and so won't venture into their store any more. However, I may purchase from them online again if I find a deal they accidentally listed too low or if they have a card I cannot live without. But, once again, if they gave better service and were polite, I would frequent the store and spend much more money than I do or will now. It really is very simple; treat your customer like you want to be treated and you will have a customer for life! Truly a rare thing to find in this modern age we live in!

Last edited:
Nice! I'd say that is an idiotic move on his part, at least to respond in writing this way, but he won't miss your measly $20 order I guess. I suppose he can also claim you edited the email and that it was nothing like that and that he was very professional and polite!

I just have one question. Just how does a customer rip off a dealer? Aside from stealing merchandise or modifying prices (switching tags/holders or other dishonest activites), I don't see how that is possible. A dealer sets prices and either sells the card at the set price or is willing to negotiate a lesser amount, but still controls the final price he/she is willing to let the card go for! That may just be the stupidest thing he said in that email.

Steven, you take the bad press because you earn the bad press with your actions. Enough said!

Burbank- email

No Thanks!!!! We pass on your ridiculous offer.

The bad pub is from people just like you who wants to pay $ 1.00 for a $ 5.00 card. We'll take the bad press for it. We didn't become the largest card shop in the world because we are ripping people off. Our 7,500 sq/ft facility cost money to operate. It is customers like you who try to rip off dealers.

We just go on doing what we are doing shipping over 300 orders a day 6 days a week which is over 20,000 cards a week out of over 30 Million card Inventory.

Good luck finding those cards from other dealers at your
prices. Maybe you can blast them also for their pricing.

I rather keep those cards for another 5-6 years. We don't need your $ 20.00.

Stephen

Thanks for your business!

Stephen Veres
Burbank Sportscards
1500 W. Burbank Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Tel: (818) 843-2600