Here's a new one for you Ebay sellers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYY1

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
It turns out buyers can change the shipping costs if they don't like them. I currently have someone trying this on me. They paid their auction but only the bid price and gave themselves FREE shipping. I've refunded the money, re-sent the invoice and same thing. The buyer is claiming that they are doing nothing but pressing pay.

How this is even allowed is beyond me. It turns out though that Ebay has a setting for this that you have to turn off.. a setting for common sense.. lol .. under MY ACCOUNT go to SITE PREFERENCES then go to PAYMENT FROM BUYERS and click NO for "ALLOW BUYERS TO EDIT PAYMENT TOTALS"

I see my first negative coming shortly.

There is a way to edit that in your seller account. I noticed this too late and just fixed it myself. Why would ebay even leave an option open like that?

Thanks for the heads up. I just went in and changed my setting to no to avoid any similar problems.

I used to do that when I had sellers with combined shipping discounts. One in particular capped my shipping costs on any order I placed, so when I was done buying I could edit the s/h costs and pay w/o him having to deal with it. It was nice, but it was obviously not for that use you described!

Mine was already set to "no" but thanks for the heads up. I like eBay but sometimes they tend to do things the wrong way.

Yeah, combined shipping is why they did that. As a buyer, it's a royal pain sometimes to have to wait for the seller to go back and change the shipping to what he promised in his listing. I'd much rather pay it immediately than wait up to a week for the seller to fix it, but of course this opens the door for dishonest buyers to try to mess with things.

Yeah, combined shipping is why they did that. As a buyer, it's a royal pain sometimes to have to wait for the seller to go back and change the shipping to what he promised in his listing. I'd much rather pay it immediately than wait up to a week for the seller to fix it, but of course this opens the door for dishonest buyers to try to mess with things.

No, they only bought one item. There wasn't any reason to even touch the shipping part of the invoice.

I ended up trying the live chat with ebay and they told me to send an invoice directly from Paypal. Sent it and after two emails and two reminders, they paid.

The "they" I was referring to was ebay. Anyway, glad you got it resolved.
No, they only bought one item. There wasn't any reason to even touch the shipping part of the invoice.

I ended up trying the live chat with ebay and they told me to send an invoice directly from Paypal. Sent it and after two emails and two reminders, they paid.