Hobby Boxes differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDHitman

Prospect
Oh great and knowledgable Oz.....please explain to me the difference between 2010 Bowman Platinum, 2010 Bowman Sterling, 2010 Topps Triple Thread, and 2010 Topps Heritage.

I just recently have gotten back into collecting after 20 years off and I like vintage, todays rookies w/ autos, I dont understand the GU fascination, and on card autographs, not the stickers. I dont care for cards that are produced in such mass numbers that they have no value, so I guess I prefer ser#, SP and the like. Which would you suggest for me and why?

Thanks for your help explaining this to a noob. I remember when we just had Topps, Fleer, and Donruss....ahhh, the simple life.

Paul

Do you like building sets? If so, and given that you like SP's, I would suggest you go for Heritage...if you're set on buying a box that is:)

If you're just getting back into the hobby I would take a few weeks to get back into the groove, read a lot of posts, check out other people's box breaks and maybe put your money towards buying singles on auction sites instead of jumping for a box right away.

Just my thoughts:)

Triple Threads is high-end, but full of game-used cards and autographs. Every card is serial-numbered.

Heritage has SPs. Waaaaaaaaay too many SPs, in my opinion, but then, I hate SPs. You'll also probably get a jersey or autograph card in a hobby box (but you'll generally get at least 1 in every hobby box).

Bowman Sterling is full of jerseys and autos, too. It's high end, and for prospectors with nothing better to do with their money than waste it on cards of players that will likely never hit the big leagues. You'll occassionally pull a big hit ... although you might have to wait a few years to find out you've done so. Pulling an auto of a current "sure-thing" *coughStrasburgcough* might be a good flip, tho.

Platinum --- I haven't heard of. Likely, it's somewhere between Heritage and Triple Threads.

I'm with Meliah on this; I like Topps Heritage, but I'm a set collector. They're like Lay's potato chips - you can't stop at just one.

I'm with Meliah on this; I like Topps Heritage, but I'm a set collector. They're like Lay's potato chips - you can't stop at just one.

Excellent analogy. I dont really go for GU cards and I am a set builder so I would go for Heritage. I really do think you want to take your time before jumping into something. Heritage sets are fun but can be tough with all of the SPs. And of course the packs have gum so........

Thanks,

Jeff