How do you enjoy your personal/player collections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Fortunately I have stayed somewhat focused in my pc and don't have a ton of stuff. But I still struggle with how to best enjoy my collection.

How do you enjoy yours?

1. Make scans and build a site - I rarely ever look at the actual cards
2. Album
3. I don't really - it's all in boxes
4. Other method of display

Also for my player collection, while I'm trying to get every card, I don't really enjoy looking at base cards and other common issues unless they are part of a group or rainbow. So I'm considering just storing those and whittling down my albums to something less gigantic.

The best of the best are in my photobuckett the rest are on a Mac site made by many collector's were I can see pics of what I have and what I dream of having anytime I want.It is the best Mac site that has been created ever known to man. Then I store them all in top loaders and never look at the cards except to add cards to the boxes.

I am a Ryan Klesko super-collector (as you know as you've traded with me before).

I keep all my 60+ GU and 20+ autographed cards in individual holders in a tin box. Then I have everything else broken up into three ring-binders with 9-pocket Ultra-Pro pages. I have binders for each of the following:
  1. All of Ryan Klesko's Bowman cards
  2. All of Ryan Klesko's Topps cards
  3. All of Ryan Klesko's Donruss cards
  4. All of Ryan Klesko's Leaf cards
  5. All of Ryan Klesko's Score/Pinnacle cards
  6. All of Ryan Klesko's Upper Deck cards
  7. All of Ryan Klesko's Fleer/Skybox cards
  8. All of Ryan Klesko's Pacific/Playoff/Classic and other cards

Every thing is then placed in order of what sub-brand it is (i.e. Upper Deck has Collector's Choice, MVP, Electirc Diamond, SP, Victory, etc.) and then I sort by year.
I look at my cards all the time! Whenever I get new cards, I put them in the binders and sections they go and re-organize as need be. I usually do this when I'm sitting down in my den to watch a game on TV.
all in all, I probably have about 80% of Ryno's 2,220 cards and probably about 5,000 total cards. I still need to get all the rare parallel's and low serial numbered stuff.

Plus, I have autographed jerseys and MOC Starting Line-Up's hanging on a wall, too.

Last edited:
In my opinion the point in having your PC is to peek at it once a month or twice a day. That is the beauty of collecting. But to each his or her own. Curious to hear what other people say.

Right now I have all 610 cards in a 3 row sort box. I keep all cards in penny sleeves and toploaders (for viewing purposes.) I used to keep my g/u and autos separate from the base and inserts but I recently decided not only does it look better when looking at all the sets organized by year, but it's easier for my haves list as well bc everything is right there rather then being on another page or in another box. I also keep Ticket Stubs and Box Toppers on the top of the sort box.

What I like about albums is how I can see card groupings all together (well, at least nine). I haven't started scanning yet, but from what I've seen from others' sites there's not really an attractive way to group cards together.

I especially like issues like 98 Leaf. I'm trying to recall if they all have the same photo, so maybe this is a bad example, but base card, fractal matrix, fractal matrix DC, diamond axis, fractal foundations, fractal materials, fractal materials DC, fractal materials DC Z2, collections, and prized collections... is that right? LOL

Good question and an interesting thread....

My PC boxes are all organized by year, then by brand.
Team sets go in team bags with a checklist.
The checklist is in front if, it is a set in progress, in the back when the set is complete.
Expensive cards $20+ go in top loaders all other penny sleeves.
Irreplaceable cards go in the safe deposit box.

As far as enjoying them goes, I will show them off to anyone who cares to see them (or anyone, I can convince to look at them with me.)
I have been working on scanning cards for my PC bucket, which means I get to handle each one as I go.
The scanning also allows me to look at (ans show off) my best cards, without risk...really, how many people would I actually hand my Ted Williams or Mantle rookies too??
Finally I do have a couple of 20 card snap-tite display case that hang on the wall. I do rotate those once or twice a year to show off new stuff, or sets I have recently completed.

Scott

I had orginally had all my Ron Gant cards in binders with 9 pocket pages. But it seemed I had ammassed so many of those early 90's issues it take several minutes just to flip through the 1990 Topps. I took them all out of the pages and boxed them up. Soon I plan on going back through and starting looking for his stuff again. However, I took my 1 autograph and 2 game used cards and put them in the snap tight cases with display stands and put them on a book shelf. Along with my 2010 Finest Drew Stubbs (RC) I have 1 for each letter in his last name plus 2 diffrent refractors. As for the rest of my personal collection I now have 1 3200ct box for player collections and 1 5000ct box for Reds. Of course the later is almost full.

I'll never forget though, as a kid in the late 80's early 90's. A middle school teacher lived down the road from us. Even back then he only bought topps, he said it was easier to obtain all the cards of his favorite players sticking with 1 brand. He use to keep everything he didnt collect in boxes and the players he did in binders. We always traded outside, but every now again he'd invite me and another friend inside and he'd show us his vintage stuff. Complete or near complete sets from 1952 topps through the early 70's and a few Bowman issues. All in pages and he had 3 Mickey Mantle 3 RC's. By the time I reached middle school, he was out of the hobby and saving them for his son. Could you imagine being that kid?!? O yea and he's the one that would tell us stories about the greats my favorite storys always seems to be around Satchel Paige.

I keep Most of my Mark Grace cards in a folder.
This is most of them except for a few dull looking base which I keep in a card box.
The folder is seperated into three sections. 1. GU's, AU's, including TTM's and #'d cards.
2. Cubs section 3. Diamondback section.

Rich

I used to use the binders to store cards but they take up way too much room. Now I primarily put the GU and autos in one of the three 5000ct boxes I have for them (depending on if it is a Gu set, HoF or current player) in top loaders, snap-tights, or screw-down (size determines which). All of my Gehrig cards are done the same, base also are in toploaders or snap-tights.

I look at them physically at least once a month. I do have a photobucket that has a scan of every auto and Gu card I have so can always view them there. Like several people have said, it is really up to the collector.

Take care,
Dewayne

I store my cards in sheets of nine and then put them into 12x18 boxes. That way I can put two rows of sheets in a box for maximum storage. This works for the sets I build since I'm not a big fan of grading when it comes to modern cards given my mixed experience with grading companies.

What I like about albums is how I can see card groupings all together (well, at least nine). I haven't started scanning yet, but from what I've seen from others' sites there's not really an attractive way to group cards together.

I especially like issues like 98 Leaf. I'm trying to recall if they all have the same photo, so maybe this is a bad example, but base card, fractal matrix, fractal matrix DC, diamond axis, fractal foundations, fractal materials, fractal materials DC, fractal materials DC Z2, collections, and prized collections... is that right? LOL

If you want to see about the 98 Leaf go to my www and type 1998 Leaf it will pull up 48 images for you to look at.

all my stuff is in boxes...i'm going to do up a site one of these days when i have time...so might be a while...lol. I will get there though if I live long enough...AB may be retired by that point, but oh well :)

My stuff is all over the place. I have some stuff hanging on the wall (mostly due to a lack of floor space). I have all of my jerseys hanging in a closet. Large items are on a shelf or in drawers. All cards are in 3 row boxes or clear plastic tubs. I try to scan in everything for my own visual pleasure. It also helps me to figure out what I have and comes in handy for quick checks. I show my cards to people who care to see them but it's mostly for me.

As soon as I get new items, I take a photo(s) or scan it, then everything gets moved to the offsite cave/bunker that is filling up rapidly. I only "see" my things for a day or two at most before it gets boxed up. Otherwise all unique cards are in penny sleeves and toploaders and in 3 row cardboard boxes. Other things like uncut sheets, helmets, football, game used items, etc are all boxed or zipped up.

I have a website, but most things don't even make it there because it's too time consuming.

I guess I'm happy just knowing I have it :p

Complete sets are in albums,incomplete sets in storage boxes waiting/hoping
to be completed.Autos,GU and misc.things are in top loads or cases and
filed in(card)storage boxes.Things like yearbooks,photos and old baseball
digests are in plastic sheets &(comic book)storage boxes.
Many of the the above have been scaned for viewing in the bucket with
alot yet to be done.
Having things scaned,though time consuming,is the easiest way(for me)
to enjoy most of my PC.
Ken

I have my entire collection in 3 inch binders in a book self. All cards are in Ultra Pro Platinum pages. I have purchased all the different sizes of Ultra Pro so they are in the correct size for the type. Currently the collection is in 30 binders so far. Also, I have all my autographed index cards in pages also. I thought about scanning the pages once I am done with a year, but so far 1980 is the only year I have completed. I do have all my autographed cards scanned up on my website. Cards that have been slabbed are in a wooden case.

When I look at them it is mostly when I am putting new cards away. Occasionally, someone will come over who is interested and we will flip though a few binders.

- Chris

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.