How do you get autos of the big names

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
How do you get autos of the big names guys like, verlander, fielder, kemp, wright, halladay, pujols, etc. almost all dont sign ttm and are moslty impossible ip, so how does someone get an auto of these superstars? also, for players that dont sign that much ip or ttm, how do people get their autos to put on ebay? an example, there is a certain player that i need for my collection that doesnt sign ttm or ip muh, yet there are dozens of his autos on ebay! how does that work? how do these people get the "tough" autos? how do you get the "tough" autos?

How do you get autos of the big names guys like, verlander, fielder, kemp, wright, halladay, pujols, etc. almost all dont sign ttm and are moslty impossible ip, so how does someone get an auto of these superstars? also, for players that dont sign that much ip or ttm, how do people get their autos to put on ebay? an example, there is a certain player that i need for my collection that doesnt sign ttm or ip muh, yet there are dozens of his autos on ebay! how does that work? how do these people get the "tough" autos? how do you get the "tough" autos?

Well it really depends. Some people get them when they are in the minor leagues. Alot of people get them IP because they use kids to get autos. 9 out of 10 times a "big name player" will sign for a kid before he will sign for an adult.

Well it really depends. Some people get them when they are in the minor leagues. Alot of people get them IP because they use kids to get autos. 9 out of 10 times a "big name player" will sign for a kid before he will sign for an adult.

That later I'm sure happens in some places. You don't see that much around here. Yes, the big name players will sign for the kids more so than the adults, but kids collect, too. There are a few that do it quite a bit down here but they do it for their own colections. Not for dad's business or anything like that. I saw Edgar Rentaria give someone a hard time here in Houston, last year, when he signed one autograph for a kid and turned the adult down. He said, "You should be ashamed of yourself making him (pointing at the kid) come out here and do this in this heat." It was funny for a couple of reasons: 1.) It wasn't that guy's kid, and 2.) the kid's dad thought it was hilarious because his son was the one who dragged him out to Minute Maid to 'graph.

- in person at the park, hotels, etc.
-Spring Training
-Private signings
-Team events
- Public appearances
- Through the mail. Even if they don't sign much, they may sign some here and there. I've talked to a few that just got lucky that way.
- getting ambushed when they're out in public
- just straight up good timing/luck. Catch a player at a time when there is some media around, some of them figure it's a lot better PR to be caught on camera signing than to get caught pushing them out of your face

my guess is the tougher signers that appear on ebay a lot are fakes. ebay is LOADED with fakes. These guys get good at signing players names... not perfect but good enough to fool a novice eye

If you are speaking of the Tigers like Verlander last year they had a deal going for charity. I had a card I needed for a set I sent a request and got back a form which directed me to make a check out to the Tigers Charity. I did and I got a beautiful auto that came with a COA. To me it was worth the 20 bucks. Other big names it is about patience. I got Banks, Brock and Berra but it took multiple requests. Also you can try the HOF as I got a couple from there in Schmidt and Joe Morgan.

I'd guess private signing for large bucks are where most of the autographs come from. I'm sure someone with connections can get many of the players to sign for a few-several thousand bucks and in turn sell the autographs over time.

that totally sucks that ebay is loaded with fakes, i think for now on i better stick to psa/dna certified autographs for the bigger names.

It's really easy to get autographs of any big time superstar athlete. I've been doing it for 35 years. Wanna know the secrets? Okay, here you go:
1) Go to where they are. Go to the games. Go to the charity events. Go to the off-season events. Go to spring training. Go to summer camps. Go to training camps. Go to the drafts. Go to minor league games and events.
2) Be constantly on the watch for the above and follow through with #1.
3) Be prepared, be nice, be thankful, don't be greedy.

See, pretty easy. No excuses- "wah, I live too far away", "Wah, they never sign for me", "Wah, I never know about these things before they happen","Wah, these signings are too expensive", etc.

Everything you need to know is available to you on this thing called the internet. All that's missing is motivation and execution.

I'll give you your start- want a Tim Tebow autograph? Be in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida this Saturday, at Sawgrass gold course for his charity event. For a $25 ticket, you'll get his sig, and about 20+ other "stars".
http://www.timtebowfoundation.org/news/2012-02-28-tim-tebow-foundation-celebrity-golf-classic

It's really easy to get autographs of any big time superstar athlete. I've been doing it for 35 years. Wanna know the secrets? Okay, here you go:
1) Go to where they are. Go to the games. Go to the charity events. Go to the off-season events. Go to spring training. Go to summer camps. Go to training camps. Go to the drafts. Go to minor league games and events.
2) Be constantly on the watch for the above and follow through with #1.
3) Be prepared, be nice, be thankful, don't be greedy.

See, pretty easy. No excuses- "wah, I live too far away", "Wah, they never sign for me", "Wah, I never know about these things before they happen","Wah, these signings are too expensive", etc.

Everything you need to know is available to you on this thing called the internet. All that's missing is motivation and execution.

I'll give you your start- want a Tim Tebow autograph? Be in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida this Saturday, at Sawgrass gold course for his charity event. For a $25 ticket, you'll get his sig, and about 20+ other "stars".
http://www.timtebowfoundation.org/news/2012-02-28-tim-tebow-foundation-celebrity-golf-classic

Kind of have to disagree with this assessment. If you live close to where all these types of events take place, than it is a bit easier. But if you are an out of market fan, you may not ever see your favorite player/team within 500 miles of where you live.

Not everyone has spring training in their backyards. And not everyone has the finances to fly all over the country to attend charity events.

If you are speaking of the Tigers like Verlander last year they had a deal going for charity. I had a card I needed for a set I sent a request and got back a form which directed me to make a check out to the Tigers Charity. I did and I got a beautiful auto that came with a COA. To me it was worth the 20 bucks. Other big names it is about patience. I got Banks, Brock and Berra but it took multiple requests. Also you can try the HOF as I got a couple from there in Schmidt and Joe Morgan.

FYI, looks like some players have changed along with prices...
http://mlb.mlb.com/det/community/foundation.jsp

Kind of have to disagree with this assessment. If you live close to where all these types of events take place, than it is a bit easier. But if you are an out of market fan, you may not ever see your favorite player/team within 500 miles of where you live.

Not everyone has spring training in their backyards. And not everyone has the finances to fly all over the country to attend charity events.

No excuses- "wah, I live too far away".....etc.

First off Fielder isn't hard. That guy signs multiples IP. I get most of my graphs during Spring Training. A lot of times guys that don't travel for games are pretty easy to get at practices because there are not very many people graphing them.

David Wright isn't that hard either. Got him twice in one day last year when he was rehabbing. Again not very many people at a single A minor league game & most that were there didn't even know he was going to be there.

Like BoomerSooner said you have to pay attention & be prepared for when guys might be in your area.

He described a way to get stars. Yes, travel and price may be a factor that excludes people. At that point, maybe you make that purchase online instead.

I agree though, if you are willing to do the research and some traveling, it is possible. I am not one of those people.

I'll take a road trip for autographs, but it won't be much more than an hour or so away.

No excuses- "wah, I live too far away".....etc.

All I was saying is that certain geographical areas have higher percentages of seeing bigger stars on a more consistent basis.

You are 100% correct about getting someone if you want them - I could have easily taken time off of work, bought a plane ticket to Vegas, rented a car, got a hotel room and than hung out at the golf course all day at Michael Jordans tournament for the chance to get his autograph. But that isn't a prudent use of my time or my finances. And if I were to guess, most people would agree with that assessment. However, if I lived within an hour or so drive, I would be much more likely to try and attend a high end event like that.

As for the expense v. worth argument - if someone that I would like to get a signature from does show up "locally", it than comes down to a decision I make as to whether or not to get that autograph. If I choose to spend the time and money to get it, great. If I choose not to, I have chosen to pass on the opportunity that has presented itself and maybe I will regret it, maybe I won't. If I had unlimited finances, time and accesibilty, would I try to acquire a lot more high end stars, yes. But I don't, so I pick and choose what I spend on.