How do you guys sell successfully?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilikeautoandgu

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I have a problem. Despite the fact that some of my prices are really reasonable (some may be high, but not too many), I've been having trouble selling, a LOT.
I rarely if ever make sales on here, on the other two sites I belong to. Furthermore, on eBay, I don't make too many sales (I've sold like 2 items this month only one was a card, and I've listed about 10 or so. Please don't tell me to do the 99 cents and let if fly ordeal. IMO, it's a catch 22. If you have a reserve, people will shy away. If you don't have a reserve, it may end higher, but it rarely gets a price you'll be happy with, unless you are a top notch seller with like 20k 99.9% feedback). So, what do you guys do to increase sales?

It will take a lot more info to even try to guess why you struggle. What are you selling? How much are you asking? Why do you have a MSF avatar here?

All these have an effect on your selling ability. Selling something everyone else has leads to low prices. If you ask too much to begin with, your items won't even get considered. Starting items off at $0.99 on ebay gives buyers hope of a deal. If it's worthwhile, the good stuff usually sees a fair price. Maybe your fair price and market value differ greatly? Who knows.

People look for different autos at different times. I generally sell hof autos which a majority of people like. Best bet is to talk to player collectors with certain autos.

Thanks for the post! I have the MSF tag because I was a slow shipper, which I have since fixed. I'm selling anything from Razor Autos, to Hof and Veteran Autos and Game Used, to Prospects. Some of my prices may be high, but a lot are at below market value.

Josh
It will take a lot more info to even try to guess why you struggle. What are you selling? How much are you asking? Why do you have a MSF avatar here?

All these have an effect on your selling ability. Selling something everyone else has leads to low prices. If you ask too much to begin with, your items won't even get considered. Starting items off at $0.99 on ebay gives buyers hope of a deal. If it's worthwhile, the good stuff usually sees a fair price. Maybe your fair price and market value differ greatly? Who knows.

Last edited:
People look for different autos at different times. I generally sell hof autos which a majority of people like. Best bet is to talk to player collectors with certain autos.

Do you use the collector database here to contact player collectors via pm to sell? Has this method been successful for you (if you've tried it).

Usually I contact people ive done business with and once in a while use the database but typically not.

It's not easy to sell on this site. People want cards at Ebay prices or less. I have high end autos in baseball & football & rarely am able to sell. I feel your pain!!

It's not easy to sell on this site. People want cards at Ebay prices or less. I have high end autos in baseball & football & rarely am able to sell. I feel your pain!!
Yeah, I hear you. But, on a lot of my cards, I'm willing to go ebay or lower. They save me fees, I'll save them $$.

The economy is awful. Many people have had to tone down their collecting budgets in order to adapt to the changes. It's happening here, it's happening on eBay, everywhere I see it. I know I'm not buying nearly as much as I used to be.

Steph

Yeah, I hear you. But, on a lot of my cards, I'm willing to go ebay or lower. They save me fees, I'll save them $$.

for selling HERE , as noted previously , your MSF avatar is going to be a huge factor....prospective buyers don't know WHY you have the avatar and since you are selling they'd be expected to pay up front...the concern over WHY you have the avatar has to be a factor for many people who choose not to enter a deal with you....

in short - if you can get the MSF tag removed by merely requesting it , DO IT ...the longer you wait the worse it will be ....also just my 2 cents , but if you already know and openly admit in this thread that it could be gone if you only felt like taking the time to request it , that little tidbit may scare away others as well since they see you aren't really putting forth much effort...

The economy is awful. Many people have had to tone down their collecting budgets in order to adapt to the changes. It's happening here, it's happening on eBay, everywhere I see it. I know I'm not buying nearly as much as I used to be.

Steph
Steph described me at this time. I've been off-line from collecting for about eight months. I've considered doing some selling but the economy will probably cause the cards to sell for sixty cents on the usual dollar sale.

By looking at what you have for sale, I noticed you didn't have scans of anything, and no link to a bucket or anything.

If I were to buy something, I usually like to see what I'm buying first. Even on ebay I tend to shy away from listings that don't have a picture, and I would be very unlikely to buy something higher end if I didn't have a picture of the card first.

Just my opinion.

Dan

By looking at what you have for sale, I noticed you didn't have scans of anything, and no link to a bucket or anything.

If I were to buy something, I usually like to see what I'm buying first. Even on ebay I tend to shy away from listings that don't have a picture, and I would be very unlikely to buy something higher end if I didn't have a picture of the card first.

Just my opinion.

Dan

Dan- Think I should post my bucket link? My bucket has scans of everything.

Thanks for the post! I have the MSF tag because I was a slow shipper, which I have since fixed.
Josh

Dude.. I'm not trying to call you out or anything.. but you have MSF on here.. and your ebay rating is horrible.. no offense I wouldn't send you my money.. especially for the high priced stuff you have on there!! You should take more pride in your seller ratings.. actually if they get any lower ebay is not even going to let you sell on there with their selling standards they have now!

Christopher

Dude.. I'm not trying to call you out or anything.. but you have MSF on here.. and your ebay rating is horrible.. no offense I wouldn't send you my money.. especially for the high priced stuff you have on there!! You should take more pride in your seller ratings.. actually if they get any lower ebay is not even going to let you sell on there with their selling standards they have now!

Christopher
Actually, my EBay ratings came at the same time my ratings here took a hit. I shipped a little slow (took 6 days to ship video games) so they negged me. Two negs. This wasn't meant to call me out, so if that was your intention, don't bother posting.

Actually, my EBay ratings came at the same time my ratings here took a hit. I shipped a little slow (took 6 days to ship video games) so they negged me. Two negs. This wasn't meant to call me out, so if that was your intention, don't bother posting.

but you asked why you tend to have difficulty selling...he told you....i hadn't even checked your ebay feedback yet , but seeing that i'd shy away even more too....you have comments on poor packaging , extremely slow shipping , and faulty/defective merchandise....that's a very bad combination and i know i'd hesitate to send a large payment your way until i saw a trend in the other direction....and i again repeat regarding your MSF tag here : if all you have to do to get it removed is request it , then you really need to take action ...failure to do so shows a lack of concern which is another big turn-off to potential buyers...

frankly , if you don't want an honest answer , then don't ask the question....

I wasnt calling you out.. I said that in original posting... merely stating that is probably why you are having problems selling..