How do you guys sell successfully?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

but you asked why you tend to have difficulty selling...he told you....i hadn't even checked your ebay feedback yet , but seeing that i'd shy away even more too....you have comments on poor packaging , extremely slow shipping , and faulty/defective merchandise....that's a very bad combination and i know i'd hesitate to send a large payment your way until i saw a trend in the other direction....and i again repeat regarding your MSF tag here : if all you have to do to get it removed is request it , then you really need to take action ...failure to do so shows a lack of concern which is another big turn-off to potential buyers...

frankly , if you don't want an honest answer , then don't ask the question....

Thanks for your post. About an hour or two ago I requested that it'd be removed, and they are having a Mod vote on the issue.

Thanks for your post. About an hour or two ago I requested that it'd be removed, and they are having a Mod vote on the issue.

that's a very good first step.....

now just go above and beyond to offer great service to those who DO buy from you....if you do so , you'll start getting better feedback - it may seem painfully slow at first , but if you continue to satisfy your customers it will snowball ....

that's a very good first step.....

now just go above and beyond to offer great service to those who DO buy from you....if you do so , you'll start getting better feedback - it may seem painfully slow at first , but if you continue to satisfy your customers it will snowball ....

Thanks. Ever since the MSF tag was given to me, no one has had any complaints on trades with me.

I have a problem. Despite the fact that some of my prices are really reasonable (some may be high, but not too many), I've been having trouble selling, a LOT.
I rarely if ever make sales on here, on the other two sites I belong to. Furthermore, on eBay, I don't make too many sales (I've sold like 2 items this month only one was a card, and I've listed about 10 or so. Please don't tell me to do the 99 cents and let if fly ordeal. IMO, it's a catch 22. If you have a reserve, people will shy away. If you don't have a reserve, it may end higher, but it rarely gets a price you'll be happy with, unless you are a top notch seller with like 20k 99.9% feedback). So, what do you guys do to increase sales?

To summarize the previous posts........

1) MSF tag
2) Terrible ebay fb record
3) High starting prices
4) No pics and not even a link to a pic
5) Admitted slow shipping
6) Damaged merchandise
7) Poor packaging

All of the above would concern me greatly when considering buying.

Would you feel comfortable buying from someone with those problems ?

FYI

If ebay catches it or someone reports you, the statement "If you want priority or insurance......" will get your auctions cancelled. Thanks to ebay's new policy regarding insurance.

To summarize the previous posts........

1) MSF tag
2) Terrible ebay fb record
3) High starting prices
4) No pics and not even a link to a pic
5) Admitted slow shipping
6) Damaged merchandise
7) Poor packaging

All of the above would concern me greatly when considering buying.

Would you feel comfortable buying from someone with those problems ?
Wow, you just made me check my feedback. I didn't realize I got a recent feedback negative! :( He was complaining about the ESN on a phone I sold, but then he realized he gave them the incorrect ESN, so it wasn't working. He had already left a neg, I guess. This sucks! I contacted the member in hopes that he would change it.

FYI

If ebay catches it or someone reports you, the statement "If you want priority or insurance......" will get your auctions cancelled. Thanks to ebay's new policy regarding insurance.
Really? I guess I'll take that out, thanks for letting me know.

Sorry to take this thread a different direction, but those rules are good and bad I guess. No separate cost for insurance, but you can add a handling fee. What is the difference? No fees for mileage, gas, etc, but you can charge a handling fee. Get my drift. The new abused fee will be handling charges soon!

They also say the seller can only charge actual postage costs. That is stupid and impossible to enforce if I ever say a rule that was. Shipping varies by zones, weight, size, etc. Are sellers supposed to prepackage everything and provide options for every possible zone? That (reasonable s/h charges) is something sellers need to self-enforce or lose business because of.

Shipping $1.59
Handling Fee $6.00!!!

No separate cost for insurance

true...but seller's CAN still charge for insurance ....the distinction is that the cost for insurance can not be made OPTIONAL or added to the stated shipping rates....if the seller wants to provide insurance , then he needs to add the cost for the insurance to his standard shipping charge....for example a seller charges $2 to ship....up to $50 of insurance coverage costs $1.75...to provide insurance , the seller will now need to raise his stated shipping rate to $3.75 ...

the real thing this move does is finally lay to rest all the claims by so many uninformed sellers that insurance is for the buyer....very untrue - insurance really is for the seller since he is technically still responsible for getting the item to the buyer in it original advertised condition even thought the delivery itself is handled by a third party....no matter how much a seller posts that they are not responsible for uninsured items , in reality they ARE....in fact , ebay also included the rule that sellers are not allowed to post such statements in their listings anymore....

You also have to look at what you're selling.

You've got 2 auctions, for the same card, at 2 vastly different prices. Both prices are way more than what someone's likely to pay for a prospect in today's economy.

You've got an auction for what appears to be a lot of autos of another prospect, but it's badly worded, includes a link that doesn't work, and is over-priced for a prospect that few have heard of, in today's economy.

And you've got a nice Hanley auto, but you're actually asking MORE than book value, and your scans make the cards appear less-than-mint.

People go to eBay looking for deals. If you had the Ramirez up for $300, maybe $400. But even then ... with your ratings and history ... it'd be difficult to get a bite. Asking $1100 on a $900 card? Not going to happen.

You also have to look at what you're selling.

You've got 2 auctions, for the same card, at 2 vastly different prices. Both prices are way more than what someone's likely to pay for a prospect in today's economy.

You've got an auction for what appears to be a lot of autos of another prospect, but it's badly worded, includes a link that doesn't work, and is over-priced for a prospect that few have heard of, in today's economy.

And you've got a nice Hanley auto, but you're actually asking MORE than book value, and your scans make the cards appear less-than-mint.

People go to eBay looking for deals. If you had the Ramirez up for $300, maybe $400. But even then ... with your ratings and history ... it'd be difficult to get a bite. Asking $1100 on a $900 card? Not going to happen.

Thanks for the post; however, I'll have to respectfully disagree on that.
Poreda: That card was actually a $150 card at peak. Now it's about 70-75. I accidentally have two up, but I'm currently deciding on what to exchange in it's place. But, the different prices make perfect sense. One is a Buy it Now, one is a Buy it Now or Best offer.
Beavan: Every single prospector has heard of Blake Beavan.
Hanley: Book value is irrelevant on eBay. The card sells at $1000, usually, so I put 1100, or best offer, hoping to get between 900-1050. Again, it's a Best Offer, and not a regular Buy it Now, so it isn't like I'm asking 1100.

If you get your feedback here and ebay where they need to be, then you can start your auctions at $.99 and get a very fair price for it. If you do that now, you are going to lose money due to your ratings. If you leave your prices as a BIN where they are now, you arent going to make many sales. So pick your poison. You aren't going to get the "going rate" when buyers can get it somewhere else for the same price or lower, with a better feeling towards the seller. If you had a card I needed, I honestly would bid about 50% of what I would from a trusted and established seller. Just being honest. I work hard for my money, and I try to be smart with it.