How do you sort your cards after breaking a box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potvin48

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
For example, you break a case of 08 Heroes (200 card set).
How do you physically sort them so they're in numerical order?

I first break them into groups of 50, then those 50 into groups of 10, then sort the piles of 10.

Just wondering if someone else has the golden way to make sorting like this faster.

I sort by 100s. If it is a 200+ card set, I get a pile of the 1-99s, a pile of the 100-199's and a pile of the 200's, etc. Then I break them down by 1-9, 10-19, etc.

I use a sorter box which helps. It takes up some extra space but I think it's well worth it. Especially if you do a lot of set collating. They are only a few bucks from most supply dealers.

I take the stack of cards, and I take the first one, and read the back. And then I take the second card, and read the back, and then I take the two cards and put them in sequential order. I then take a third card, read the back, and place in with the previous two in sequential order.

I repeat this process until I have exhausted my supply of cards to sort and organize.

Me and Becka broke two cases of Baseball Heroes.

We opened the first case in March or so, and we just opened the whole case, then seperated them into piles of 1-99, 100-199, and 200. We then made piles of 1-10, 11-19 ect. Then put them in order. :)

Robbie & Becka

I sort by 100s. If it is a 200+ card set, I get a pile of the 1-99s, a pile of the 100-199's and a pile of the 200's, etc. Then I break them down by 1-9, 10-19, etc.

I use a sorter box which helps. It takes up some extra space but I think it's well worth it. Especially if you do a lot of set collating. They are only a few bucks from most supply dealers.

That's what I do as well. Makes a huge pile into several manageable piles.

have never broken a case, but with the few boxes i do bust i also always read each back and put in number order after each pack is opened...

I have two 10 pocket sortin boxes. If I were to bust a box of 2009 Topps baseball, I would...

Separate cards by 100's first (0-99, 100-199, 200-299, 300-399, etc)
Separate inserts

For example, you break a case of 08 Heroes (200 card set).
How do you physically sort them so they're in numerical order?

I first break them into groups of 50, then those 50 into groups of 10, then sort the piles of 10.

Just wondering if someone else has the golden way to make sorting like this faster.

Typically I pick out star commons/inserts and throw the rest away (i.e commons that I dont need although could trade, I have too many)

Same as others have mentioned -- as I break, sort the cards into piles -- 100s, 200s, 300s, and so on. From there, sort each pile by 1-10, 11-19, 20-29, and so on.