How poor is this card? Hank Aaron.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwj20

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've had this card in my PC since I was about 6. It was never in great condition, but I don't know what it would actually get for a grade. I'm guessing it would be poor, but a card I had checked out in worse condition than this was a higher grade.

What are your thoughts?

HankAaron001.jpg

HankAaron002.jpg

Actually,I don't think it's a bad looking card.
Might rate a fair and that's what I'd call it.
The crease is located in an area that doesn't
detract from image that much and the scuffing
isn't that bad either.
I'll eventually need to pick-up an Aaron for my
64's and one like that would fit.
Try to match it up with the grades in the "Wing"
condition guide.
Ken

W/O looking up a grade scale, I believe a VG card can have minor creasing, so I would guess that to be a VG to VG- card. However, based on the cards I have scanned below, I wouldn't expect anything better than G if you were to have it graded, possibly a P/F. It's up to the "expert" who gets to grade your card!

I like to share this card, because I still just don't get how this can be a "poor" card???

Gil.jpg
GH.jpg

This is the good and bad to grading. I suppose the 1 grade kept the price down, which was good for me. However, I think 1 seems a bit extreme for this nice eye appeal card with no obvious flaws, but general wear.

And for good measure, how it sizes up to other "low" grade cards I have. IU'd say the PSA 2 O'Doul looks worse than the PSA 1 Hodges!

123.jpg
123back.jpg

Have to agree Curt!
The "experts":rolleyes:
I think it would be fun to
set-up a "The Bench,You Grade It" forum.
Members could submit(scan)a card and fellow members
could vote on the grade(s).
.......:D
Ken

Wow, you are not kidding. The Hodges does look better in my opinion too.

I had a friend who got a card graded 6, resubmitted it to the same company and it came back as an 8.

I've been too leery of grading services, but it's a decent way to settle arguments between people who have no clue of the grading criteria. I've been asked about this Aaron by a few members on here and I always say it's NFT mainly because it's not a well conditioned card.

Ken, thanks for the tip. I recalled there being a thread here, but a general search on "condition" couldn't help me find it easily. I forgot Mark wrote it.

I can't believe that Hodges is a 1 ?!

Here is my Nolan RC that is on it's way back from PSA, it has a crease and got a 2, go figure. I would say that Hodges is a 3 easy. I did fully expect a 2 on this Nolan though, I was hoping it wouldn't slip to a 1.

nr.png
nrb.png

Jeremy

The Hodges must have a pin hole. That will grade a 1 every time.

The Aaron would also be a 1. Might be better to have it graded Authentic rather than 1.

Shawn

No pin hole, but maybe a pin head for the guy who graded it?

Like I said, I got a screaming deal on it, probably because it graded a 1. Can't complain, because I am not looking to get rid of it.

The Hodges must have a pin hole. That will grade a 1 every time.

The Aaron would also be a 1. Might be better to have it graded Authentic rather than 1.

Shawn

I'm going to say it's a "good" condition card............Some of those that I have in my collection I keep because I'm the only owner..............Left a pile of 1972 out in my sandbox over night, then it rained and they swelled up like my Grandma's ankles! I still have them to this day, in Top loaders!