How to seperate cards stuck together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamsets4u.com

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have a 1993 Pacific Spanish set that it seems the cards have been stuck together since 1993. Any ideas on how to deperate them without damage?

Had the same problem with opening 1996 Pinnacle Summit boxes......the cards were starting to stick together.....That was about 5 years ago....I would think that now....their struck like glue now! Sorry...I don't have the answer to your question. Best regards, David

I've been putting my Topps sets in binders (the few I hadn't). 2001 Topps, green glossy cards. Opened the box and half of them are are stuck. Started pulling them apart, now they are useless. Looks like I will be putting that set together now.

Hopefully you can find a remedy, but I have a feeling it's a goner.

Todd

get them into the driest (no-humidity) location you can for awhile, then go about manually detaching them. The moisture in the air mixing with the finishes on the cards is what makes them stick together. Glossy cards always will have more issues with it.

I have the same problem with my 2003 Topps set. My doubles box is a big brick! Let me know if you find a way to fix them.

Thanks,

When you start to separate them, grab a small pile of stuck cards and hold them lengthwise and slightly bend the entire stack up and/or down. This usually breaks loose a number of cards at a time.

I recently came on to literally millions of cards that had been in storage for years. The heat is what I think causes the cards to stick. Of course, the glossy cards are the worst. What Jeffo65 says is what I suggest also. Once you get them halfway separated, fanning the "deck" will help loosen the cards too. Otherwise, I have found no surefire solution to this sticky problem. Good luck.

I agree with the last 2 posters. That is how I get mine to unstick. Some may see some light damage to the finish, but all in all they separate fairly well. It's a pain to do it though. I have been trying not to pack cards into boxes too tight, but even that may not stop "the stick".

Nothing seems to work.
Seems that the cards have melted together and will not come apart without damaging both cards.

tRY putting them in the freezer!

I'm really curious as to whether this works. I've heard it's a great way to remove old photographs stuck together and even saw someone suggesting it as a way to unstick cards from tight screwdowns.