How would you sell your entire collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soxfan33

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey everyone,

I've always wondered what the best way to sell my collection would be. I have "monster" boxes full of base from the 80s to present, GU, patches & autos.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND that I'm not doing this right now, but have thought about it before and have always wondered what the best way to do this would be. If you were selling your entire collection, would you:

Sell together or separate?

After deciding that, where/how would you sell to make the most money and take the least effort and time?

1. Sell locally
2. Sell on eBay (their fees seem to be quite high lately)
3. Sell on another site

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
Anything of value you would want to sell as singles. Anything as a lot is going to go for less once you break it down as a per card price. To save yourself a lot of fees shop them around the trading sites before hitting Ebay. Given the economy these days you may not sell much on trading sites though.

Good sets I would do over Ebay as well. As for the rest of the stuff, commons and anything else of lower value, package them up into nice lot boxes and those sell decent on trading sites. For example fill up a bunch of USPS Flat Rate boxes and give a decent description of each box, ie. Box 1 has commons from 2004-2008 and give a few set examples to help sell them. If you price them nice they will sell on the trading sites, $20-25 a box (that includes shipping) and you can unload them. You can also offer them locally on Craigslist and save yourself some time at the PO and with packing.

Anything of value you would want to sell as singles. Anything as a lot is going to go for less once you break it down as a per card price. To save yourself a lot of fees shop them around the trading sites before hitting Ebay. Given the economy these days you may not sell much on trading sites though.

Good sets I would do over Ebay as well. As for the rest of the stuff, commons and anything else of lower value, package them up into nice lot boxes and those sell decent on trading sites. For example fill up a bunch of USPS Flat Rate boxes and give a decent description of each box, ie. Box 1 has commons from 2004-2008 and give a few set examples to help sell them. If you price them nice they will sell on the trading sites, $20-25 a box (that includes shipping) and you can unload them. You can also offer them locally on Craigslist and save yourself some time at the PO and with packing.

Perfect. Thanks for the input, I relly appreciate it! That makes a lot of sense. I think I'll at least do the commons in the flat rate boxes to get them out of here.

Thanks again!
John

I wouldnt sell any of it on ebay. I'd sell on craigslist, The Bench and so on at places that dont charge a fee. Ebay has become communistic in fees and in allowing only Paypal as an option for payment inwhich you have to pay another fee.

If I were you, I'd donate the commons have them write the estimated value on a ticket and take it off the taxes at the end of year. You'd be donating
and receiving a tax credit at the same time, you'd save fuel and time of posting. and could really unload a great amount of items that are duplicates really fast.

On the cards no one bought as in game used, auto's, You could see if you could use them for a credit on a box of cards, maybe knock some bucks off new product.

There is no listing fees on ebay anymore-as long as you start the auction at $0.99 or less -

Yeah, but BIG (fill in the blank) DEAL....

With the new fee structure as soon as your item goes over something like $26.50
your fees become 2 1/2 times what they were before !:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

If you start an auction out at $0.99 and it does sell for $26.50 the final value fee is $2.38 (9%) and the paypal fee would be $1.16 total fees being $3.45 if you offer free shipping you would profit $23.05..lets say you charge $3.00 for shipping and it actually costs you $1.39 to ship the item then your final profit would be $24.57..if your a standard power seller (5% discount) your profit would be $24.69..if your a top rated seller (20% discount) your profit would be $25.05..now lets say you list an item and it doesn't sell now you re-list without being charged a fee

Lets say you have an ebay store (basic) $0.20 (used to be $0.03)listing fee and you sell an item for $26.50 final value fee is $3.18 with paypal fee being $1.07 total fees being $4.45 now lets say you charge $3.00 for shipping but it actually only costs you $1.39 ship the item..your total profit would be $23.57 but lets keep in mind you have to pay a fee each month for your store

You have to keep in mind Ebay is business that provides the seller with a
great means to sell an item of course there going to charge a fee to use
there service costs money to pay employees overhead and other costs
also Ebay has millions of visitors each day..and to put it Ebay if they really
wanted to could buy out Craigslist in a heartbeat

If I was planning on moving my collection, I'd personally sell the higher end stuff on eBay. Lower-end autos/GUs I'd sell in lots of similar sports/players/teams through trading sites or even on eBay. Nicer BV ($5+) inserts and RCs would go to COMC. Base and lower BV stuff would go in grab bags/boxes for a local garage sale or given away.

I'd also send my Twins and Vikings cards to Chaddie84 ;).

Yeah, but BIG (fill in the blank) DEAL....

With the new fee structure as soon as your item goes over something like $26.50
your fees become 2 1/2 times what they were before !:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Where are you getting that? I sold a $60 card last May for $4.02 in fees, to sell it today would be $5.40, a decent jump to be sure, but 35% is a long ways away from 250%.

Where are you getting that? I sold a $60 card last May for $4.02 in fees, to sell it today would be $5.40, a decent jump to be sure, but 35% is a long ways away from 250%.

The new fvf is 2.5 times greater for the amount OVER $25.

Over $25 was 3.5%, now it's 9%.

I just sold a card for $182 and the fvf was like $7.50. Under new fee structure the fvf would be over $16. That's one heck of a jump !

dragonslayer913

The way things are now if you charge $3 s/h and actual postage is only $1.39 you ain't gonna be no top rated seller very long.

Where are you getting THAT ? $60 item sold by auction your fvf would have been only $3.07......

first $25 @ 8.75% = $2.19
$35 @ 3.5% = 87.5 cents
Grand Total = $3.07 or $3.08 depending how ebay rounds