How'd you pick your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My old colletion... started back in the 1990...Had the choice between Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr. Liked the power and the high batting average of Frank Thomas and the rest is history! Stopped collection Frank Thomas when his rookie cards reached the $40.00 range....Still have over 100 (1990 Leaf RC) in my personal collection! Best regards, David

Cool story David. I liked collecting Heyward but there was to many people collecting him so getting his cards made it diffucult because others had better trade bait. So I picked up Freddie Freeman & Andrelton Simmons hoping the Braves would make a splash in FA and they make a little with the BJ Upton signing and I started collecting him after debating it. I started hearing trade rumors about Justin possibly being traded to the Braves and I was quite happy because I wanted a Superstar caliber player that not many collected and always liked him when he played for the DBacks so when he was traded to the Braves I jumped right into trying to get his cards. I believe Justin Upton is someone I will collect for the remander of his career as he has potential power, speed, and can hit .300(even though only done it once so far). I think even if Upton leaves the Braves in 3 years I will continue to collect him as he was a Brave at one point and someone I enjoyed watching play the game.

Phillies- If I remember correctly, as a kid in 1966 I opened a pack of Topps cards and 2 of the cards were Phillies cards with one of the players having my first name. I've been hooked ever since.

Thome- I 've been collecting Jim Thome cards since 2002, when he signed with the Phillies. But in addition to becoming a Philly I collect Thome because he is a class act both on and off the field and he plays the game the right way. He's an old-school player with a great passion for the game, which is why he is still playing at 42. Hope he comes back for the 2013 season.

Phillies- If I remember correctly, as a kid in 1966 I opened a pack of Topps cards and 2 of the cards were Phillies cards with one of the players having my first name. I've been hooked ever since.

Thome- I 've been collecting Jim Thome cards since 2002, when he signed with the Phillies. But in addition to becoming a Philly I collect Thome because he is a class act both on and off the field and he plays the game the right way. He's an old-school player with a great passion for the game, which is why he is still playing at 42. Hope he comes back for the 2013 season.

You absolutly correct on Thome being a class act. Very nice story also.

When i started the birthday collection back in March of 2009 i keep asking myself should i start this task and after almost 4 years the collection grows and grows it actually has some of my other quests placed on the back burner the hardest card for me to obtain is the 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Tom Seaver #9 as it was only included in the test sets which were only distributed in the Eastern Massachusetts area only 2 cards per pack and a stick of gum may only be 10 in existence

Best,
David