I sold off almost ALL of my baseball cards today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metrotheme

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I spent a good part of the weekend taking my cards out of binders and putting them into 700 count boxes to clear up some shelf space. After it was said and done, I realized that I no longer needed these cards. They were commons from 87-93, just about the time when everyone who is now over 25 was collecting heavily (think jr.high / early high school). I wound up with about 8 "new" boxes that came out of the cards that I pulled from the binders. I had about another 12 in the closet. After deciding to keep a few boxes of just Topps cards, one box from 87, 88, 89, 90 and 92, I came to the conclusion that the rest had to go.

Knowing the value of these cards, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get any money past postage for them. I put a few notices on other message boards that I would sell them for basically the s/h costs and I had no takers.

I then put them on craigslist for $5 per box of commons, which comes out to almost $.01 per card. Someone hit me up within the day, wanting the whole thing. In the end I sold him 15 (700 ct.) boxes for $65. It's kind of liberating to get away from all of those cards. I have about 6 boxes that I kept which fit nicely into one corner of the shelf in my closet and about 4 moderate sized binders of cards.

The cards I kept aren't worth a whole lot, but I wanted some for TTM / IP purposes. Has anyone else gone through a similar purge of their cards and if so, what was your experience?

PS - I have about 150 9-pocket pages here and a few binders if anyone is interested. If so, PM me.

I am beginning to go through that process. Was cleaning out my room a couple weeks ago and saw that books filled with cards and a box i had are taking up too much room.

I haven't collected since 2008, so they had just been lying around.

I am basically looking to do the same thing that you are. Selling all my base for just pennies as long as the shipping is taken care of.

Years ago, I bought a collection of complete Topps sets from 1969 to 1994 from a friend who was moving and didn't want his collection anymore, but wanted them to have a good home. I couldn't pass it up given the price and my interest in the earlier sets, but what to do with these 80s and 90s sets that are taking up some much needed space. I enjoy going through my collection and seeing what is presently relevant, but I haven't gotten around to dealing with these newer sets. Any suggestions?

I was able to sell my complete 86 Topps set on ebay about 2 years ago for $10 plus s/h.

I think people will still pay between $5-$10 plus s/h for the late 80's set (86-89) on ebay.

Years ago, I bought a collection of complete Topps sets from 1969 to 1994 from a friend who was moving and didn't want his collection anymore, but wanted them to have a good home. I couldn't pass it up given the price and my interest in the earlier sets, but what to do with these 80s and 90s sets that are taking up some much needed space. I enjoy going through my collection and seeing what is presently relevant, but I haven't gotten around to dealing with these newer sets. Any suggestions?

I never even thought about listing that stuff on craigslist for some reason. Maybe becuase I have a Snap-On multimeter I've been trying to sell on craigslist for about 2 years and haven't had success. I'll have to give the cards a shot.

I never even thought about listing that stuff on craigslist for some reason. Maybe becuase I have a Snap-On multimeter I've been trying to sell on craigslist for about 2 years and haven't had success. I'll have to give the cards a shot.

Hmm, Snap-On multimeter you say? My Dad is a certified Master Electrician, he may be interested. I'll find out. How much you want for it?

I am trying to do the same thing. If I were to take the time to break them into team lots or player lots I could get a little bit for them, but why spend hours to net maybe 20 bucks paypal. My goal is to have my collection to be only Brewers and Allen and Ginter, with 1 or 2 binders of cards for trade. I may put all of my common boxes in the attic and not think about the fact that I spent roughly $250 opening packs of 2008 Upper Deck base! :)

I can't imagine parting with the late 80's early 90's cards that I have just because of the memoires that are associated with them.

Frank