I submitted 8 cards to Beckett

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I see PSA raised their prices this week. I've never had a card graded, but it seems like it may not be worth it unless you're into the flipping game.

I have never sent to PSA. I always felt like BGS gave a more accurate grade. PSA sell higher but since I dont sell a whole lot that doesnt matter to me.

I submitted a card for grading it arrived at Beckett on the 17th of November and I am hoping to get it back late April early mayish... I am hoping.

WOW! Looks like you're on the economy 12 month plan...........I know with the virus and crap it would slow it down..........Quoting Biden, "Come on, man"........

Ok so Its April 20th and my grades just popped.

2018 Topps update Gleyber Torres sp Black Pullover------ 9.5
2018 topps update Juan Soto rc X2------------- Both 9.5
2018 topps update Ronald Acuna jr. RC X3 -------all three 9.5
2019 topps update Vlad Guerrero Jr. Rainbow foil rc----- 9.5

Im liking this trend. Last One is 2011 Finest Mike Trout rc------------------- 8.5

Oh well, overall very happy.

Im liking this trend. Last One is 2011 Finest Mike Trout rc------------------- 8.5

Oh well, overall very hap

Update on my card I sent to BGS. The card was sent on November 17th of 2020 got it back on the 15th of April 2021 and that was a 10 day submission. Good luck with yours.

Is 8.5 on the Trout enough to recover the cost of grading it when compared to selling raw?

Good eye! Congrats on the grades!

Thanks
Craig

I decided to try CSG, I recently sent in 5 cards under economy, will see if their timetable holds up.
I just got my first CSG order back and am pretty impressed with the slabs themselves. Very clear, nice feel in-hand and very sturdy but not at all bulky. Tough but fair grades- which I expected given their grading reputation outside of cards. I now have about 200 cards submitted with them. They do appear to be growing further and further behind. I did get my first bulk order back in about 50 days total. The second one just hit 60-days and is still in "grading" phase.

I got mine back from CSG and out of the 5 , two of them where too big to fit in the slab, so they didnt grade them. Which is odd as I sent them a hockey card from 1972 and a baseball card from 1972, both topps cards and they said the hockey card was too big. But my 1972 Clemente came back a 5, I was really disappointed, I feel the card deserved better at least a 6 if not a 7 , tell me what think.bob.JPG

I got mine back from CSG and out of the 5 , two of them where too big to fit in the slab, so they didnt grade them. Which is odd as I sent them a hockey card from 1972 and a baseball card from 1972, both topps cards and they said the hockey card was too big. But my 1972 Clemente came back a 5, I was really disappointed, I feel the card deserved better at least a 6 if not a 7 , tell me what think.View attachment 10531
Unless there is some major defect I can't see in that scan, I am stunned that Clemente only got a 5!!!!!.. The centering L to R looks to be 45/55 at worst and it is a tad high top to bottom..60/40 I'd guess. To me that card is a 100% high book card in Becketts and probably even more.

I'd think about cracking that case and submitting it to another grading service.

I know graded cards go for a lot more than raw ones but when I see a 5 to me that means the card is not that nice. But your card looks awesome. At our LCS there is a PSA 3.5 1964 Topps Standup Hank Aaron that I would have guessed would sell for 40% of high book which is $200. But on EBAY they 3.5s sell for nearly twice the raw high book!!! I just don't know what to make of these grades. THe LCS owner owes me a fair amount of cards and if the Aaron stand up was raw, I'd certainly trade for it. But the 3.5 grade makes me gun shy even though they sell for over high book on EBAY.

There was a PSA 4 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle and a PSA 1 1958 Topps All Star Mantle at tjhe same store and me and a handfull of other vintage collectors could not see a difference in the tewo cards conditionwise.

I seriously wonder how much these "professional" graders actually know. I doubt their expertise is any better than mine and in some cases I've seen, I know it is not as good.

Last edited:
I agree, I think this card is better than the grade, unless there is some major underlying condition, but if that was the case it would have been noticeable. I have looked at that card so many times and cant find the flaw that makes it a 5

I was curious what the two cards were that would not fit into slabs. Were they some kind of think insert like the 1970 Topps Glossy Football or oversized specialty product like the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments?