I wouldn't give ya 5 bucks for that !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Story to share,..
I love collecting cards,have for years.I usually put everything away, but I always keep one card out to look at,..
I always enjoy when I get company and they ask me about the card sitting out and it always amazes me how much most people don't know about the hobby.My brother brought over a friend yesterday and I had a Rocky Colovito RC (latest addition to the PC) sitting out.The card isn't perfect but it's in nice shape.
He asked me what it's worth,..Now I know thats a loaded question to any true collecter, but I told him 60.00 bucks and his jaw dropped and he said,..

"I wouldn't give ya 5 bucks for that"

I didn't say anything, I just smiled,..,but I was LMAO inside,...

Clint

Last edited:
Story to share,..
I love collecting cards,have for years.I usually put everything away, but I always keep one card out to look at,..
I always enjoy when I get company and they ask me about the card sitting out and it always amazes me how much most people don't know about the hobby.My brother brought over a friend yesterday and I had a Rocky Colovito RC (latest addition to the PC) sitting out.The card isn't perfect but it's in nice shape.
He asked me what it's worth,..Now I know thats a loaded question to any true collecter, but I told him 60.00 bucks and his jaw dropped and he said,..

Clint

You just described every 'collectible' out there. How many of us put any value on an old record album, or stamp, or tin toy, or comic book, etc. Look how many people complain about non baseball celebrities ion their baseball cards. I watched someone open a pack of legendary cuts and get a Lucille Ball cut. I thought they would have an aneurysm. They got an autograph of one of the most iconic television figures in history, and they are beside themselves and would have been happier with a dime a dozen player autograph. I picked up a card with a piece of Sydney Greenstreet's robe from Casablanca. To me, that is movie history right there, to the person who pulled it, he was happy for me to give him $5 (literally) for it because they had nothing more than a passing interest in movies.

Story to share,..

Clint

Clint,

Good story that demonstrates how misuderstood our hobby is.

This sounds like my 65-year old father. To him it's just a piece of cardboard. However, he and my step-mom collect Hummel (SP?) figures and some sort of porcelain mice collectable. They pay $50 for items that I wouldn't pay $1 for at a garage sale. When I tell him this, he gets all defensive and says "Yeah but a lot of people really collect these things - can you say that about your baseball cards?" I just show a Beckett Monthly and tell him "If there weren't a lot people collecting cards, would you have this every month?" Whereas I understand that different people collect and place a value on different thing, my curmudgeon father can't.

Yea that is funny. I'm sure he collects something - you should find out what it is and then go to his house and mock his collection!