if i file this claim will i win?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I had my first experience of not being able to get a refund from a purchase of cards I made from Stevenmelcollectibles in Lindenhurst, NY for $48. He requested a personal paypal payment which saved him fees, but also unbeknownst to me didn't protect my purchase. He mailed the cards but the tracking has them leaving Melville, NY three weeks ago and I haven't gotten them. His emails have been strangely combative, even to the degree of insinuating that I might actually have the cards since I'm in a 'rush' to get a refund because hey, mail can be a month or two late, right?...so an expensive lesson for me trying to be a nice guy and save a seller some money. No more personal paypal payments from me...and certainly no more purchases from Steve.

This is a tough situation, especially since you tried to be nice and considerate of him by sending the personal payment. In his defense (not much of a defense but...) Melville is not far from Lindenhurst (I did my undergrad work at Stony Brook, in eastern Long Island). Who knows, perhaps the items will turn up and you'll have a happy ending? I really hope so.

I had my first experience of not being able to get a refund from a purchase of cards I made from Stevenmelcollectibles in Lindenhurst, NY for $48. He requested a personal paypal payment which saved him fees, but also unbeknownst to me didn't protect my purchase. He mailed the cards but the tracking has them leaving Melville, NY three weeks ago and I haven't gotten them. His emails have been strangely combative, even to the degree of insinuating that I might actually have the cards since I'm in a 'rush' to get a refund because hey, mail can be a month or two late, right?...so an expensive lesson for me trying to be a nice guy and save a seller some money. No more personal paypal payments from me...and certainly no more purchases from Steve.

roberts right it still may turn up, hopefully it does. i have had to PO do some weird things. i once had a package sent with dc take over 2 weeks to get from vermont to CT. i checked the dc and for some reason it went past CT and down to a sorting center in new jersey where it stayed for almost a week before being sent back up to CT. not sure why the post office does some of the stuff it does. maybe it just got sent on the wrong truck and not caught for awhile. so hopefully it will turn up for you.

roberts right it still may turn up, hopefully it does. i have had to PO do some weird things. i once had a package sent with dc take over 2 weeks to get from vermont to CT. i checked the dc and for some reason it went past CT and down to a sorting center in new jersey where it stayed for almost a week before being sent back up to CT. not sure why the post office does some of the stuff it does. maybe it just got sent on the wrong truck and not caught for awhile. so hopefully it will turn up for you.

This is a very good point. Mail does get misdirected. Happens rarely, but it does happen. Amid hundreds or thousands of transactions, one or two can (and will) get fouled up...just speaking from a perspective of probability/statistics here.

Question: Did you "Issue a Refund", or did you simply send him some money for the cards? If you "issued a refund", I do not think you will win anything. If you sent the money as a regular transaction, he has to then prove he sent the cards, or you get your money back.

Tim

Question: Did you "Issue a Refund", or did you simply send him some money for the cards? If you "issued a refund", I do not think you will win anything. If you sent the money as a regular transaction, he has to then prove he sent the cards, or you get your money back.

Tim

i sent him money in a seperate transaction

Just wondering...was there any resolution in either dispute?

i got my cards back but other then some very minor chipping on a couple there was no damage. he clearly lied about the condition for a refund becasue he didnt like that they were crap gu/auto which i told him they were. he was also a member using a second account after his first one was banned which i reported to the other site and they confirmed. but i closed the paypal case because it wasnt worth it. i got my cards back so i would have a hard time winning a claim. but basically i was scammed because he didnt like the cards he bought.

it is a shame, at least you got some of your cards back... better then nothing

i got them all back so i should be able to turn around and sell them to another bulk buyer but it annoys me when people do that he didnt ask for a list of players he just asked for a number and then he asked if they were junk which i said yea they were and he paid anyway.

i got my cards back but other then some very minor chipping on a couple there was no damage. he clearly lied about the condition for a refund becasue he didnt like that they were crap gu/auto which i told him they were. he was also a member using a second account after his first one was banned which i reported to the other site and they confirmed. but i closed the paypal case because it wasnt worth it. i got my cards back so i would have a hard time winning a claim. but basically i was scammed because he didnt like the cards he bought.

And he should have been banned from the other site again! Best regards, David