I'm confused - 2007 Topps Coppers /56

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potvin48

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
Ok, I understand typically the Topps Update sets are lower in price, but the 2007 Copper versions, limited to 56 amaze me.

Some sample prices from the Beckett OPG:

Series 1:
Mantle $150
Dice-K $150
I get those...HOF legend, and Dice-K rookie...

But...
Andrew Miller $150 ?
Jeter series 1 $800??? (And that's not inflated because of 3,000 hits either)
Jeter update $40

The thing that gets me the most is the "common" players. Series 1 and 2, they're $15 similar to today's black /60 Topps cards. The Update coppers are only $6 for the common player.

Why is there such a difference in the common price between the two, and how the heck is Jeter's series 1 card $800, yet the update card is only $40

2007 Topps had the Jeter variation where some cards had Bush and Mickey Mantle airbrushed in the photo on a limited number of cards (SP). The $800 is for the variation, and was the price it sold for back then. It wouldn't get near that in today's market.

Miller was hot upon release, again a case of Beckett not updating prices.

Usually the numbered parallels are easier to pull in Topps Update/Traded because fewer cases are produced than Series 1 and 2. You will usually notice Topps Gold cards from the update series being lower priced than their series 1 and 2 counterparts, as well (2006 Topps Update Gold commons only book for $1 each). While I would consider the 2007 Copper cards to be somewhat less popular than the Topps Black cards from other years because they do not carry the big name BLACK cache, I agree that $6 for the commons in the update series is very undervalued and can't guess why they arrived at that particular number.

As far as Jeter goes, it is a combination of Beckett screwing up the price on his Series 1 Copper (Pujols' 2007 Copper only books for $60 and Jeter's Topps Black cards from other years are $50-120) and the hype surrounding the Bush variation that year.

Richard