I'm In SHOCK! Someone Explain This One?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I missed batch three...a downside to sniping (I could have loaded the snipes, but figured to be around). I especially wanted that Ultra Platinum and several of the TTM oddballs...oh well. I'll keep my eye open for batch 4.

I had an Autograph /25 listed tonight that the only other one I had ever seen before sold for $70 and mine sold for $8.50! Then an $8.00 Game Used card /325 that sells often at $1-$5 sells for $48.00
Thanks
Craig

For me, auctions are too big of a risk...as bdink25 mentioned "timing is everything" and with a majority of ebayers using the pratice of sniping (both in person or programs), most auctions go less than expected which is why I encourage Fixed Priced listings with a best offer option.

With auctions, more times than not, as a seller, you'll get the ugh story than the yipee story.

email the guy and ask him what the deal is? I've done this before and gotten some crazy answers.
nice sale!

It is timing, but I believe that more often than not, the good stuff will sell for a representative value. There are always enough eyes looking out for the good stuff! Junk will always fail to sell or sell poorly. Occasionally a steal slips by and occasional there is an insane bidding war nobody expects, but all in all it works out well for all involved. Sellers too often think their items are worth more than market will bear and feel like they were cheated if they sell below expectations.

No personal offense meant, but I'll use your Garvey 1/1 as an example. Those have been selling in the $10-25 range for the last year or more fairly consistently. I have not seen one top $50 since they were new and everybody figured out there were 99 SLIGHTLY different 1/1s that looked the same. I think you were asking $80 for yours and maybe best offer. I don't know what you were willing to take as a BO but the $80 opening price didn't lend well to me making an offer so as not to offend. I don't see it anymore, so maybe it sold or maybe the listing ended. I have close to 30 of them and never paid close to that for even one of them.

I have watched fix price listings sit stagnant and then see the seller finally "give up" and start it at a buck or something like that and see the listing top the original BIN price. People want a bargain and I think they are willing to bid their way past it even, in the heat of the battle. High fixed price listings will sell sometimes, if the price is still right or the item is that desirable, but often they are overpriced to begin with.

For me, auctions are too big of a risk...as bdink25 mentioned "timing is everything" and with a majority of ebayers using the pratice of sniping (both in person or programs), most auctions go less than expected which is why I encourage Fixed Priced listings with a best offer option.

With auctions, more times than not, as a seller, you'll get the ugh story than the yipee story.

Craig,
I've got one right now that's up to $35 with an hour left. Can't for the life of me figure out why. I only paid 8-$10 for it. But I sold a card last month that went for under $30 that should have gone for $60+. I asked the guy that won it and he said his high bid was $60 and he didn't expect to win it. In the long run these oddball prices seem to balance out so I don't even waste my time trying to figure it out any more.

Unbelievable !!! My unnumbered, what I consider a common, game used card sold for as much as my 2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Red Auto /49 AND the buyer paid 5 minutes after the auction ended.

Win some......Lose some........I REALLY like it when I win one !

Unbelievable !!! My unnumbered, what I consider a common, game used card sold for as much as my 2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Red Auto /49 AND the buyer paid 5 minutes after the auction ended.

Win some......Lose some........I REALLY like it when I win one !

The Shirt off my back was SP'ed to 50 according to Beckett. My 2005/2006 Baseball Cards plus has a BV of $150

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Set those snipes Curt!

Jaderock - I've always felt like I had a better chance for the cards to sell higher if I start it at .99 and let it go. I don't know...

Thanks
Craig

I had a 1996 Zenith Diamond Connection with Diamond Frank Thomas sell for $102 when it was only a $30 card. The card is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I've always felt like I had a better chance for the cards to sell higher if I start it at .99 and let it go. I don't know...

Thanks
Craig

That's kind of been my take. I start cheap....no reserve....and hope for some extra exposure. It does open you up to those possible $0.99 winning bids from time-to-time, but overall it has worked out pretty well. By day 7, I usually have a ton of hits/watchers on my auctions.

Good luck with the rest of your lots.

-Chad