in your opinion who was the classiest player to ever play the game?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

As a Red Sox fan this is hard for me to say but the current crop of Yankee HOFers always have struck me as classy - Jeter and Rivera.

Thanks,

Jeff

I gotta go with Cal Jr..

Took my (then) 15 year old daughter to a game back in 1997 @ Camden Yards - she waited right by the dugout during infield practice hoping to get Cal to sign a ball. The O's came off the field and she was reaching out to Cal with the ball when an usher went to move her away. Cal looks at the usher and says "Hold up." - takes the ball, signs it, and hands it back. Gave her (and me) a memory neither of us will forget.

Dan

I gotta go with Cal Jr..

Took my (then) 15 year old daughter to a game back in 1997 @ Camden Yards - she waited right by the dugout during infield practice hoping to get Cal to sign a ball. The O's came off the field and she was reaching out to Cal with the ball when an usher went to move her away. Cal looks at the usher and says "Hold up." - takes the ball, signs it, and hands it back. Gave her (and me) a memory neither of us will forget.

Dan

Lot of great people but I have to go with Cal, only because he's the only one I really know anything about.

I've seen more stories like greyhounds than I can remember. The man is/was a great athlete, devoted to his team, and what I think is most important he gives an incredible amount of his time to the charities he supports. Giving lots of money is great and many people do it, but for the rich there's always more money. TIME however is limited and finite and Cal gives it his all !

Almost forgot...............

You said "the game" (but you put this in general talk) so I'd add Arnold Palmer as the classiest golfer ever.

I was never a fan of his team but I always loved the way he played the game and treated the fans: Kirby Puckett. I remember hearing a story that he came out of the locker room and told fans waiting for his auto that he would put his bags on the team bus and be right back. When he got on the bus it started to leave. Kirby stopped the bus, got out and signed for every single person that was there.

From personal experience I would put Dave Stewart into this category. He and Dave Henderson must have signed hundreds of autographs one night outside of Comisky as most people were waiting for Mac and Canseco. Canseco signed two before a dash to the bus and Mac slid out a back door straight to a cab before anyone could get to him.

Stewart, Puckett and I couldn't be a Tigers fan w/out adding Alan Tramell to the discussion :)

David Eckstein - one of the only players to consistently hustle, even on his way to first after a walk.

You got that right!

And, he will always sign for ya!

This quote from Tony LaRussa a few years back....."I don't know if I've ever been around a guy tougher than David. He gets blasted with foul balls, hit balls, hit by pitches, slides into second base, diving. He's fearless. Toughest guy I've ever been around."

That from LaRussa.....well, he's been around awhile!

Paul

One player that I enjoy having on the Twins is Ben Revere. He signs autographs regularly and is respectful during interviews. He plays his hardest, diving and sliding and somersaulting around the field and has fun doing it. Hopefully the Twins will keep him in the majors.. he's batting .316 and he can run.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps

Members online