IP Autograph Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGerutfan9

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the IP autograph game and would like some tips.

1. What kind of pens/markers do you guys use for cards and 8x10s? I use a regular sharpie but it seems that it doesn't come through as clean as I hope it would. Seems like the pen dries half way through the signature.

2. Do you have more success before or after the game? My home stadium is Progressive Field and it seems like they usually kick everyone out who is standing down by the dugout about 20 minutes before the game starts. However after the game most players just bolt.

3. I really like to get cards signed for my Tribe players in their Tribe uni. For the new guys or guys without cards what do you usually get signed? I hate being un-prepared and usually just have them sign my team ball.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Eric

I'm a newbie too but I made friends with the local graphers at my stadium and they showed me where the players enter and leave the ballpark...although I can get some autos before the game, after the game(leaving the clubhouse) is when the players are most amicable.

I use a fine sharpie but I dull the point a little for a slightly fatter sig but they have to be fairly new, after about 3 games, I open a new one but I don't get more than 6-12 autos per game.

Hope this helps...I'm sure the more experienced graphers will chime in on this.

Eric, this is a hobby that has as many ways to go about it as there are followers of the hobby! Brian (Beachbum) is a great IP grapher, and his signatures look great! His tip to make friends with other graphers who know the ins and outs of player signing habits etc. is a great one.

Generally the biggest names dont sign, though once in a while they will (see Sweeney, Mike: Entire Career!). My favorite way to obtain signatures is to put cards on a piece of cardboard or in a notebook fastened down by photo corners. I met a favorite of mine, Randy Martz at our local indy league team game this summer, and asked him before the game to sign. I have 10 spots on the board and he signed all 10 cards for me. Next time I go back, I have some customs I made (simple process, just print out on cardstock, can edit player names in textboxes, add photos, etc.)

Other graphers can probably better answer this, but I go with a specific player in mind (we are Cardinals fans and they are TOUGH before games, I have never done the parking lot thing) and maybe I have luck, maybe not. Minor and Independent Leagues are the best way to go if you are looking for prospects and retired players who manage and coach. Personally, I like these environments best, very family and fan friendly, and everyone is very accessible.

Hope that helps, thanks for asking, it is always fun to share tips with fellow collectors! Oh, and store your sharpies with the point facing down, if you have a backpack or something, the ink collects better that way near the tip, and if you scribble a little on something before you hand it to a player, the ink flows better and it doesnt dry halfway through!

God Bless!

Kevin Mc

Hi Eric,

I am fairly new also, but there are many collectors on here who are veterans at it that have great tips. Hockeybrawler has a nice blog about ip autos, and tribefan is a fellow Indians fan who has done quite a bit. He helped me out a lot with some nice tips. Here are a few tips I have learned this year:

1) Blue sharpie seems to work out best for 8X10 pics. It looks bolder than black and does not streak as bad. It also works for cards, but you may want to try a Staedtler Lumocolor. It is the pen Topps uses for the chrome cards. It does not leave as big/bold a sig as a Sharpie, but is still very nice. If you are getting chrome or any card with a glossy finish signed, you should sprinkle a little baby powder on it then rub it down a little. This will help prevent the sig from bubbling or streaking.

2) I have never done MLB games due to the difficulty and larger crowds. I also do not like to spend time in the parking lot because I always take my 6 and 9 year olds with me. Minor league games are great for autos. Even most of the top prospects will sign. I have most luck before the games by the dugouts. You may also get some after the game there. Have never tried after the game in the parking lot. You may also spot some pitchers in the stands behind home plate charting pitches. They of course will not be in uniform, but some will sign if you ask in between innings.

3) Be organized. Use a notebook with photo corners. I use a 9x12 watercolor sketch book because the pages are a little thicker. You can buy them and the photocorners at most hobby stores. I get mine at Michaels because you can find 50% off coupons. I believe my books was about $8-10, the photo corners about $3. I put 6 cards to a page. I use 2 photo corners for each card, one on top and one on the bottom opposite corner ( top right and bottom left). This makes it easier to slip the card out when you get home. Leave a little room so you can get the card out without damaging the corners. I use all 4 corners for an 8x10.

4) For players I do not have cards for, I use a team logo sheet. Print out the team logo in the center for a piece of glossy photo paper. A lot of minor league teams have autograph days at the park where most of the teams sign. The logo sheet works great for these.

Above all else, be polite and know who the players are.

Ray

I can add if your getting a glossy/chrome card graphed what i do is prior to having the card signed i
take an eraser and dull the card this prevents the sig from smearing

Above all else, be polite and know who the players are.

Ray

This is key and apparently only comes with maturity...some of the younger graphers haven't figured this out yet and they scream at players without knowing their names. This is another reason I am waiting after the games more and more, less of the unpolite crew out there.

This is key and apparently only comes with maturity...some of the younger graphers haven't figured this out yet and they scream at players without knowing their names. This is another reason I am waiting after the games more and more, less of the unpolite crew out there.

We have that issue a lot after the game in Cleveland. I am hoping once school starts the young graphers won't be able to stay after the game.

Eric

Postgame (or even noon to 4 pregame) your best bet is the players parking lot. In Cleveland, that's on East 9th near Carnegie. Just wait by the fence and when a player comes in, call them over. I did it when I lived there in 2005, and when I was in Cleveland for the National-- got Axford, Murphy, Aviles, Raburn, Rzepcynski, and Shaw out there in just a single day. I only did pregame. Postgame can be good though too.

Also, this might help you out a bit. The IP section is at the bottom (though the first of the three entries touches on some prep ideas). http://dfwautographs.blogspot.com/search/label/how-to

Postgame (or even noon to 4 pregame) your best bet is the players parking lot. In Cleveland, that's on East 9th near Carnegie. Just wait by the fence and when a player comes in, call them over. I did it when I lived there in 2005, and when I was in Cleveland for the National-- got Axford, Murphy, Aviles, Raburn, Rzepcynski, and Shaw out there in just a single day. I only did pregame. Postgame can be good though too.

Also, this might help you out a bit. The IP section is at the bottom (though the first of the three entries touches on some prep ideas). http://dfwautographs.blogspot.com/search/label/how-to

So you're saying you went at 12 in the afternoon for a 7 PM game?

Eric

So you're saying you went at 12 in the afternoon for a 7 PM game?

Eric

BINGO! I tried 2PM for a 7PM game and the strength coach came out after about 1/2 of standing there all alone without a soul in sight. I asked him if all the players are there already, he said yes they had been there since before lunch. Can't do that again!

Yep. I'd get there at noon, wait around until 4, run over to Tower City for a quick bit of food, and run back over to the ballpark.

Yep. I'd get there at noon, wait around until 4, run over to Tower City for a quick bit of food, and run back over to the ballpark.

Wow 4 hours of waiting? You're a trooper! I'll have to talk my girlfriend into going up around 12 then walking around the city for a bit before a game.

Eric

Haha four hours isn't too bad as long as there are others out there to chat with and as long as the players sign. Here's what my schedule occasionally looked like when I lived in Boston and went for hockey at hotels...

TUESDAY
3 pm: Arrive at hotel
4 pm: Bus arrives at hotel-- may catch basketball players leaving for game
5 pm: Players take cabs or walk out to eat
6 pm: Quick dinner break
7 pm: Players arrive back at hotel
9 pm: Leave

WEDNESDAY
8 am: Grab coffee and donut, jump on train or walk to hotel
9 am: Get players leaving hotel for coffee and morning skate
11 am: Go to rink for Bruins players leaving morning skate
12 noon: Back to hotel, get players returning
1 pm: Lunch break
2 pm: Back to hotel for players heading to game-- May catch basketball team arriving
5 pm: Last bus leaves for game

if i recall correctly, i hear that inside progressive field is pretty difficult(per Hockey Brawler) so i, too, would recommend parking lot if you want to obtain autos. i'd also consider any minor league parks that may only be a couple of hrs away for a little weekend getaway..i.e. akron. i live about 10 mins from the Texas Rangers and about an hour from Frisco Roughriders(Texas AA team). I can probably get 4x as many AA cards done in a day than I do at an MLB game. And pretty decent prospects too. It's a nice way to add some IP variety..

The idiotic gate schedule does indeed make The Jake tough, bordering on impossible. And I'd echo Chris' comments about minor leagues. Seeing as you're in Wadsworth, Akron is super close to you, so you can get a lot of prospects and some former MLBers who are now coaches (Carlos Garcia, Luis Rivera, Blaine Beatty, Lance Parrish, Gerald Perry, Brian Daubach, Stu Cliburn, Chad Allen, Bobby Meacham, Jon Nunnally, Billy McMillon, Bob Kipper, Rich Gedman, Rob Ducey, Russ Morman, Marcus Thames, and Orlando Mercado are all coaching in the Eastern League).

Scramble up 271 and you can hit Lake County too for some A ballers and their coaches (Craig Lefferts, Paul McAnulty, Jake Mauer, Tony Fossas, Burt Hooton, Bill Haselman, Rigo Beltran, Ken Huckaby, Vince Horsman, Jason Simontacchi, Vince Coleman, Doug Bochtler, Nelson Santovenia, and Mike Henneman are coaches in the Midwest League).

Haha four hours isn't too bad as long as there are others out there to chat with and as long as the players sign. Here's what my schedule occasionally looked like when I lived in Boston and went for hockey at hotels...

TUESDAY
3 pm: Arrive at hotel
4 pm: Bus arrives at hotel-- may catch basketball players leaving for game
5 pm: Players take cabs or walk out to eat
6 pm: Quick dinner break
7 pm: Players arrive back at hotel
9 pm: Leave

WEDNESDAY
8 am: Grab coffee and donut, jump on train or walk to hotel
9 am: Get players leaving hotel for coffee and morning skate
11 am: Go to rink for Bruins players leaving morning skate
12 noon: Back to hotel, get players returning
1 pm: Lunch break
2 pm: Back to hotel for players heading to game-- May catch basketball team arriving
5 pm: Last bus leaves for game

Where in Boston? We were staying in Brighton when the Celtics were in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals......AWESOME atmosphere, great sports town!!

Where in Boston? We were staying in Brighton when the Celtics were in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals......AWESOME atmosphere, great sports town!!

Right on the edge of the Common, plus a summer in the North End. I went to Emerson College from August 2002 through December 2005.