IP Success - Syracuse Chiefs vs. Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well, the baseball gods were pretty good tonight. The forecast called for rain, rain, rain this weekend, but they got the game in at Alliance Bank Park (in Syracuse) and were even able to do the post-game fireworks.

There were fireworks on the field, as well. The Chiefs took an early lead, but the Iron Pigs came storming back in the seventh and eighth. I keep score, and Scott Mathieson pitched a great game until he gave up a 3-run Chiefs homer in the 5th. I sat right in front of the visitors' bullpen, so I got to watch Mike Zagurski and the other relievers warm up. (Even though you know it's not true, you sometimes believe that you can throw a ball like they do.) The Iron Pigs ended up winning 7-4.

Oh...and how can I forget a big-time personal first? I got a foul ball! Kevin Frandsen, who had signed for us before the game, hit a liner into the first-base stands right near me. It was early in the game and sprinkling, so I was alone in the section. I only had to chase it a row or two, and the ball was mine!

There is much to report on the IP front. Ryne Sandberg was indeed very kind about coming out to sign. However, some guy had him sign two jerseys...then the guy dashed back and planted himself to my right (halfway through the line). Ryno stopped a couple folks after me, possibly because that guy was being a bit greedy, holding out a couple HOF plaque postcards in addition to those jerseys. Sandberg did drop my pen, so I can say that my marker was dropped by a Hall of Famer. Even though I was bummed that Sandberg's generosity had limits, I thought he was very nice in spending that short time with people.

After the game, it started to baseball rain. Just sprinkles. Some of the guys were really nice, even though I didn't happen to get them. (Nate Bump, Brian Bass.) Scott Podsednik passed the relatively full line and went straight to the bus. Josh Barfield signed for a bunch of guys but just didn't get to me, and that's okay. Ryno signed for a couple kids, but got onto the bus quickly. Rod Nichols (coach) made a beeline for the bus. Domonic Brown came out really late and signed for several folks but got out of there before I got him.

The rain bummed me out a little, as it kinda smeared my Scott Mathieson card. I was, however, quite pleased to get the starting pitcher.

Here's the total haul with annotations for fun:

2006 Scott Mathieson Topps Update 139 IP Auto 9/4/2011 (Slightly faint) Phillies
Seemed like a nice guy. I sincerely complimented him on his dominant first four innings, but I think he was bummed by the runs he allowed in the fifth.

2007 Ryan Feierabend Topps 291 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Mariners
He complimented me on saying his name correctly. I took German for 5.5 years, so it wasn't a big deal. After the game, I did hear some really weird pronunciations as folks called to him. In case you meet him, it's FIRE-ah-bend. ("feier" kinda means "party" and "abend" means "night".)

2007 Mike Zagurski Topps Update 198 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Phillies
I dunno why, but I really like the way Zagurski pitches. He seems like a cool guy and I like that he has...shall we say...a C.C.-esque physique.

2007 Pete Orr Topps Update 114 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Braves
Pete Orr made his way through in the rain and was nice to people.

2009 Kevin Frandsen Upper Deck 848 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Giants
2009 Kevin Frandsen Topps 113 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Giants
Frandsen also signed before and after the game. (And he hit my foul ball.)

2009 Phillippe Aumont Bowman Chrome Prospects BCW2 IP Auto 9/4/2011 WBC
Aumont signed a couple in the bullpen area immediately after the game, but signed for a few folks near the bus, as well.

2011 Ryne Sandberg Topps Lineage Diamond Anniversary Refractor 171 IP Auto 9/4/2011 Cubs
I had a 1987 Topps in my binder, and I swear that he chose not to sign it, instead moving one over to the recent insert. I certainly won't complain for the price I paid, and how many people have that exact card signed?

Here's hoping we'll all have fun doing some IP autos next season!

awesome job and thanks for sharing......it sounds like you had a blast!!!