Is it just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
So maybe this is my "Back in my day we walked uphill to school both ways" rant but this has been bugging me for a little over a year.

Back when I was a teen and in my collecting glory, I thought it would be cool to have the Topps, Fleer, Donruss sets in 2 or 3 series like they did up until about 73 or 74. So when they started to do that in the mid 90's I thought "this is great." Distinctly remember buying Series one and 2 boxes of 94 Topps and getting pretty close to a set with a limited number of doubles. Fast forward to last year I bought a box of 1993 Leaf (series 1) and 1995 Stadium Club (series 3) was no where close to a set on either one and the Stadium club box EVERY SINGLE PACK had a card that was doubled. What made it worse was those doubles were back to back and there were at least 3 packs where the doubles were doubled. Also last year I spent at least 100 on Topps and Heritage and are still no where near base sets and same goes for Heritage this year. But what finally broke the camel's back is the Value back of Bowman this year three measly packs and get doubles of 3 players. URRRGHHH. With all the inserts and every thing else, you would think that could get a good collation into the packs....

ok, my rant is over

I don't think you can buy a hobby box of Topps now and get a complete series, which is ridiculous. I've switched to only jumbo boxes. I can't remember the last jumbo I broke that didn't complete a series. It's pricier, sure, but I know I'll walk away with a complete series.

I've never really been a set builder, but you brought back some memories when you mentioned 1993 Leaf. I loved that product! Not only did they have Series 1 and Series 2, but they also released an Update Series as well! As a Cubs fan, I remember going after Kevin Roberson from the Update!

Thanks
Craig

*My favorite product from that year was Flair! Beautiful set!

I wonder if a base set builder is even on the minds of card makers anymore. I bet that if the packaging of cards is any level of a thought out plan, they don't want people completing a set with 1 box. That keeps you from buying more. Maybe that is just old school mentality, but they want you coming back for more. However, massive dupes at today;'s card prices may be a greater deterrent than not completing a series in one purchase.

I have never really cared for set building. I guess I just can't see myself buying cards (or packs trying for cards) of players who have zero interest for me. It could also be bad memories from trying to complete some close sets as a kid and failing to do so. Nothing makes you love building a set like the season passing by w/o you getting that last card or two you needed!

Putting together a team set is another story, but even that I don't bother with in modern cards.

I do buy 2 of those Topps Team sets that are packaged, that they have been doing since 2006. They are numbered differently, so not part of any main Topps set.

I wonder if a base set builder is even on the minds of card makers anymore. I bet that if the packaging of cards is any level of a thought out plan, they don't want people completing a set with 1 box. That keeps you from buying more. Maybe that is just old school mentality, but they want you coming back for more. However, massive dupes at today;'s card prices may be a greater deterrent than not completing a series in one purchase.

I have never really cared for set building. I guess I just can't see myself buying cards (or packs trying for cards) of players who have zero interest for me. It could also be bad memories from trying to complete some close sets as a kid and failing to do so. Nothing makes you love building a set like the season passing by w/o you getting that last card or two you needed!

Putting together a team set is another story, but even that I don't bother with in modern cards.

I do buy 2 of those Topps Team sets that are packaged, that they have been doing since 2006. They are numbered differently, so not part of any main Topps set.

I'm not sure. It sure doesn't seem like it though. I remember getting a box of 2014 topps series one, and got all but about 15 cards out of series one. The irritating part to me though is especially with Heritage this year it seems is within the first 3 or 4 packs that I bought at Target (the 20 card pack for 5.99) I was already getting dupes. That is the worst. And this weekend I had a couple extra bucks so I bought 2 packs at Target because that was apparently the only store that had ANY cards. (Meier and Wal Mart were completely sold out.) Half of the second pack was an almost exact duplicate of the first one...

I didn't start collecting baseball cards till later......and it was due to my Nephew...He was a collector of Darryl Strawberry and later he moved on to Pokeman and then Magic cards. He once as a youngest went back east to a Magic tournament and out of over 1,700 players...finished in the top 20! He started me down the road.......My favorite set is the beautiful 1990 leaf set! The colors and white boards.........and of course my Favorite player Frank Thomas RC. Over the years Topps is hooked on the short prints and its hard to get complete sets without paying to much for the short prints when its a hot prospect. Once they made Topps the only company to do baseball cards.....they seem to lose touch with the set collectors more and more. MLB needs to go back to having two or three companies doing baseball cards.....as its better for collectors....as with one company....they become the we the only game in town! We can charge any price and do what we want! Best regards, David

I don't think you can buy a hobby box of Topps now and get a complete series, which is ridiculous. I've switched to only jumbo boxes. I can't remember the last jumbo I broke that didn't complete a series. It's pricier, sure, but I know I'll walk away with a complete series.

Just opened 2 jumbo boxes of Series 2. Came up about 20 cards short of a second set.

I just opened a jumbo box and I am 14 cards short of a set. This is the first time I can remember buying a jumbo box and not getting a set. This is ridiculous. I cannot believe that i did not get a complete set with the money I spent for this box. But for all the ranting I do, I will be the first one in line to buy a jumbo box of update when it comes out.

I opened 2 regular boxes and jumbo box and 15 Fat packs of series-2 which my Walmart Finally had stocked --Only completed 2 sets with 1 card short of a 3rd set and 20 or so short of a 4th

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online