Is this the Future of Trading Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am an old fashion kind of guy. I had a hard time coming to terms of auto and gameused cards but when I did come to terms with it I loved the idea. But this I dont think I would like, for one reason how long will the battery last 1 year maybe 2 then the acid eats away the card because you cant pull it out because you may damage the card.
I think it will be a hit at first and bring new collectors in but I am affraid it will only be a short term embrasement

I am not up to ***** with all this technology but hey I have been wrong before.

Look like worthless garbage to me......................Seems like Panini is going after the "Cell" and "Apple phone" callow users, here....................Trying to create a market for them specifically...................They look kind of cheap to me............

While it doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in, at least Panini is trying to do something different and creative.

But I think it will be a novelty as opposed to a lasting part of the hobby (watch me put my foot in my mouth 10 years from now).

UD tried to something like this with Power Deck...and that didn't really catch on...Next will be cards that follow the player through his day or at least be a twitter card

Well I do have to congratulate them on trying something new and that excites me, but I don't like the idea at all...what if it stops working? Then it's worthless. plus if I want to watch video of them I have my computer or phone or iPod...I don't need my cards to show me video of my favorite players...sorry but not for me good try tho...keep the ideas coming and maybe one will catch on!

UD tried to something like this with Power Deck...and that didn't really catch on...Next will be cards that follow the player through his day or at least be a twitter card

yea and ive got about a dozen of them odd little cd/dvd's too and they move like rocks. the tech is neat and i am sure it wil bring some excitement for awhile to the hobby, and most of all drive up prices all over the place only to have they realy hobbiest get choked out on the cost to purchase marker (its already crazy) but then again maybe this will be what kids need nowadays to get and grab their attention too.

sadly they are doing it with basketball cards ugggggggg barfffffff....

dave

Several years back, Topps did some audio cards. Ripken was the subject. I have two different and they were inserts in the Stadium Club product. They were actually pretty neat. You pressed a raised "button" on the card and it played a brief audio clip of a historic moment. However, at some point the battery will die and they won't play anymore. I didn't see a way to "open" the card to replace the battery, so in the end you have a really fat card that doesn't do anything.

Power Decks, Talking Baseball from the late 80s, Mattel Mini Records of the early 70s, 5-7" record cards from the 70s, etc. None of these have caught on much past the odd novelty, and most only because they were somewhat limited in their distribution. Donruss even had those computer cards in the late 90s. V 1.0 or something like that. They were like CDs. Nobody cared.

My thought on the "card" in the link is that it is not really a card at that point. It's like a portable electronic device with a signature on it. It may have a market as a sports collectible in the future, but I think trying to make that transition to it being a trading card is a bad idea. Until the technology is affordable, you can't replace traditional cards with it, so it is yet another ultra high end item only well off adults will be able to own. We need more high end cards like we need our taxes raised!!

I don't see how it's a bad idea. It's not replacing the traditional card - it is merely a new twist on insert/auto cards. I personally think it's pretty brilliant from a marketing perspective as it will likely draw some interest to the card world from "techies," who otherwise would have no interest in them. If you don't like them, you can always sell them if you happen to pull one, as their is clearly a market developing for them.

I just worry about the longevity of the item. Cardboard will always be around as long as it is protected, these "cards" seem to volatile.

I am definitely pro-environment, so I wouldn't mind seeing some recycled material cards with the vintage style stock (i.e. 89 topps).

Don't see it catching on. Like others have said, it's a novelty only.

However, I'd be willing to bet if they made one of Steve "the biter" Garvey there would be at least one person going after it hard :)