Jersey cards and the team from which the swatch comes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I don't know if it bugs anyone else, but I don't like when a jersey card depicts a player from one team, but includes a swatch from a different team's uniform. I am trying to figure out if I want to keep a jersey card I pulled. What do you folks think?

I pulled a 2008 Andrew Miller Timeline memorabilia card. In the picture, he's in his Tiger uniform, but the card is labeled with his then-new team. (The Marlins.) The swatch is plain white, and I am thinking that it's from a Tigers uniform because I think he hadn't had time to play as a Marlin before the card was released. I might want to keep the card because he's in Tigers uniform, but I can't be sure the swatch is a Tigers uniform and it's technically a Marlins card.

Am I the only one who has ever thought of these issues? What do you think? (Admittedly, they are quite small in the grand scheme of life.)

It wouldn't bother me unless it was a blatant discrepancy. I saw a scan of a beautiful Bert Blyleven logo patch from Triple Threads. The photo is him in a Twins uni with the Twins as the team in the text, but the logo patch was of the Angels. That would drive me totally nuts.

It's something that bothers me enough I wouldn't buy or trade for such a card. Another reason I miss Donruss/Playoff; not only did they usually match the swatch with the team and logo, a lot of times they even matched the color.

For me it depends on the player. Geoff Jenkins is one of my favorite Brewers of all time. However when he was traded to the Phillies SPX did a horrible job on his autos/game used but I still pick them up when I can.

On the other hand Masterpieces has a Captured on Canvass of Carlos Lee in a Brewers uni but it lists the Astro's I believe as the team and I've passed up some really good deals for it.

Last edited:
I have a doozie. It is a Frank Thomas pictured as an Athletic, listed as a Blue Jay with White Sox swatches.

fthomastriplepatch.jpg

I also liked the fact that Donruss/Playoff/Leaf would even show a picture of the actual item the swatch was taken from on the back. I long for their return to the baseball world one day.

Dewayne

I have a doozie. It is a Frank Thomas pictured as an Athletic, listed as a Blue Jay with White Sox swatches.

fthomastriplepatch.jpg

I also liked the fact that Donruss/Playoff/Leaf would even show a picture of the actual item the swatch was taken from on the back. I long for their return to the baseball world one day.
Dewayne

One of the best ideas ever for a baseball card compmany to do.

(Admittedly, they are quite small in the grand scheme of life.)

This part cracked me up. It made me think...

"Sure, I hope they find a cure for cancer, but that can wait. We need to fix this problem with the baseball cards NOW!!!!" :p

I really haven't noticed this problem personally for some reason, although I have seen it brought up over the years. I'm sure that a lot had to do with JJ and CC playing for one team the whole time I was seriously collecting. And with Rickey, most of his cards were made by DLP (in just a few years too!) and they were pretty good at getting this stuff right. Not that they didn't have their own problems, and being a number guy, this is the stuff that I notice.

One of these kids is doing his own thing... Three of these kids are doing the same.
05LC24s.jpg

Now it's time to play our game. ;)

This part cracked me up. It made me think...

"Sure, I hope they find a cure for cancer, but that can wait. We need to fix this problem with the baseball cards NOW!!!!" :p

I really haven't noticed this problem personally for some reason, although I have seen it brought up over the years. I'm sure that a lot had to do with JJ and CC playing for one team the whole time I was seriously collecting. And with Rickey, most of his cards were made by DLP (in just a few years too!) and they were pretty good at getting this stuff right. Not that they didn't have their own problems, and being a number guy, this is the stuff that I notice.

One of these kids is doing his own thing... Three of these kids are doing the same.
05LC24s.jpg

Now it's time to play our game. ;)

I am pleased we all have this issue in perspective. =)

You guys bring up great examples. I just think that when a company "gets it wrong", they're missing the point of a "relic". A relic should be a material piece of, in our case, a baseball player's uniform that relates somewhat directly to his exploits. It would be too much to expect a company--now just Topps--to always identify the games in which a specific piece of jersey was worn, but the card means more if you know the swatch is from a team you love.

I don't think I have a Trammell jersey card, but when I get one, I will know it's from a Tigers uniform.

the card companies definitely need to be more accurate with the pieces of jersey. It is basically a false advertising card if they have him pictured on one team but then the piece is another team. it truly isnt a "relic" card at all

The best one I've received in a pack was of an American League Relief pitcher, and the relic? A piece of BAT! LOL! You have got to be kidding.....