Like...Whatever, Bench!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanS

Prospect
That was my snappy opening title!

Hi everyone. My name is Ryan and I'm re-starting my childhood love affair with card collecting, MLB specifically.

While shopping for my youngest daughter's needs, a Target purchase of seven packs of Topps Series One cards along with an interest in what this year is bringing to the Major Leagues of Baseball is where this all started. I hopped on Google to price the cards with my family, and was inspired by a few YouTube channels that featured Box openings and criticism of what Topps has done to oversaturate the market...But it's a hobby first!

Long story short, I am really happy with being able to get my two daughters interested in the hobby, to track percentages and statistics over time (so as to put some of their college education to practice), and to be able to share any card package openings with others who are at home and unable to get out due to Covid or disability. I know it as someone who has a few disabilities that it's a great way to share the experience of openings, and have a couple of smashed together videos of it on my YouTube if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I'm also here to trade eventually, or purchase if my family has the financial means to do so: We're low income so it's a real treat for us to all chip in on a box like it's a Willy Wonka Bar. Heh.

Here is a link to my first YouTube video, which is split into two parts:
If anyone could help identify neat pulls from the 2023 Topps Series One Jumbo Box that we did yesterday, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Welcome to The Bench!! I will check out your videos as time allowes. Willing to bet that others will as well. Hope to see you around on here as a frequent contributor! Dont be afraid to ask questions, there are many knowledgeable collectors here. Dave

I can recall when I got back into the hobby in 1991. It was a blast to open packs again. I'm glad you're enjoying the hobby. I collect Topps Heritage so I'm not very familiar with the flagship Topps set.

Hey there Ryan, I had time to watch SOME of your video. I hope you are open to some thoughts I had. My first piece of advice I have would be to try to keep the videos as short as you can. I got to like the 32 minute mark and had to stop because I simply ran out of free time. If your goal is to have people view the breaks, it is important to move along quickly. I would suggest for you to watch some of the break videos from our group box breaks located in the forum with the same name. You will get a pretty good idea of how the breaks move along to keep people interested. It can be hard with breaking jumbo boxes because there are so many cards. You seemed very nervous handling the cards. I get it, nobody wants to bang up an expensive or rare card. Im sure you'll get the hang of it as you break more stuff. Most importantly...... keep having fun. Dave

Welcome, Ryan
Will try and watch when I get a chance.
The top videos, if you haven't found them yet, are Jabs Family, ifsportscards and, of course, sportscardclub (sister site.)
Bob

Hey there Ryan, I had time to watch SOME of your video. I hope you are open to some thoughts I had. My first piece of advice I have would be to try to keep the videos as short as you can. I got to like the 32 minute mark and had to stop because I simply ran out of free time. If your goal is to have people view the breaks, it is important to move along quickly. I would suggest for you to watch some of the break videos from our group box breaks located in the forum with the same name. You will get a pretty good idea of how the breaks move along to keep people interested. It can be hard with breaking jumbo boxes because there are so many cards. You seemed very nervous handling the cards. I get it, nobody wants to bang up an expensive or rare card. Im sure you'll get the hang of it as you break more stuff. Most importantly...... keep having fun. Dave
I agree with Dave here...........I shoot some video for work and if the project goes over 3 minutes, people lose interest..........Their attention spans are almost non-existent..........