looking for more minor league set sources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Trying to finish off the minor league cards for my player collections and there are still about five cards unaccounted for:

Steve Howard
1985 Modesto A's Chong 16

Hensley Meulens
1992 Triple A All-Stars Skybox 111
1998 Tuscon Sidewinders Multi-Ad 27

Tuffy Rhodes
1994 Osceola Astros Anniversary Team Issue 8

Matt Williams
1987 Pocatello Giants The Bon 12

I've already tapped out Dave Weber, Wild Pitch Minors, Portland Sports Cards, Sportlots and eBay. I know the Steve Howard card is available on the Beckett Marketplace, but I'm having trouble parting with the $5+S/H for it. Also, I know a member here has the Tuffy card, but I'm still shopping around for it for less than $10. The Williams and Meulens I've just come up completely dry.

Does anyone have any other good sources for minor league cards (either sets or singles)? If I can find the sets reasonably priced, I'll just bust them up and load everything else on Sportlots, but ideally I'd like just to get the cards. The Modesto set always seems to go for over $100 and it's just not worth that for a Steve Howard card.

I have a bunch of minor league sets from the 80s that I would like to sell. If interested, please send me a PM for a complete list.

I found the Tucson set available from both LakeCountryMinors.com ($10), GulfCoastMinors.com ($10) and STBSports.com ($14.95). All have very large selections of sets, but not much by way of singles.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I'd found most of those thru Google, but that gives me a couple more. Interesting, I've ordered 4-5 times from Dave and didn't know he had a website!

It's tough to want to order a single team set for a single card when shipping is more from these people than I'd typically want to pay for the whole set!

Last edited:
The last of the Bucky Jacobsen minor league issues I needed are now on the way. About $60 later I am done and now need only about 20 cards from 2005 to have everything on him.

You could try calling the team and getting in touch with whoever's in charge of their merchandise. There's tons of stuff just sitting in storage rooms.

I once tracked down a very obscure minor league rookie auto'd card for a friend this way (it was his son's card). Took a few weeks and I had to email the guy a couple times but when he finally had the time he went through the "junk" he had in storage and just happened to have a signed card.

That's worth a shot. Tucson is about to lose their team to Reno, so they might have some stuff to clear out. I hated when MiLB took over 90% of the team stores on the web. MiLB doesn't stock much and overprices everything. They'd never do what the Columbus Clippers did recently, selling old team sets for $1 each just to unload them.

Just got back from Chicago and opened my mail... I've got all the Bucky Jacobsen minor league cards I was missing. Pretty excited to cross those off the list.

Any luck finding the Pocatello set? I am looking for the Mike Greenwood from the same set, and have had no success for five years in locating the set.

Any luck finding the Pocatello set? I am looking for the Mike Greenwood from the same set, and have had no success for five years in locating the set.

None at all. I saw it come up on eBay once a couple of years ago, and just missed it. Have never seen it since.

I did manage to knock out the Rhodes & Meulens cards (the AAA All-Star card isn't unique to the set, it was just the regular pack issued card re-packed with the rest of the AAA All-Stars, all of which were just re-packs with an added All Star Game logo card).

Keep checking in with this guy. In my experience buying minor league cards since 1995, the dealers all seem to be pretty well networked and can help you find just about anything. Might take a while but they can usually help.

I managed to track down 250 sets of Pat Burrel's rookie set (yeah, I know... he was a hot seller back then). It can be done.

maybe www.checkoutmycards.com

just looked and they have a couple of 85 modesto mcgwires. may be able to get in touch with the owner and see if he has any lesser names.

click on "baseball" then 1980's then 1985 and all sets fromthat year come up
good luck, john

ps (have lots of 92 ud minor league if you ever need any)

maybe www.checkoutmycards.com

just looked and they have a couple of 85 modesto mcgwires. may be able to get in touch with the owner and see if he has any lesser names.

People either have the complete Modesto set they won't break or a stack of counterfeit McGwires. There's no grey area. If all those loose McGwires weren't fake, it stands to reason that the market would be teeming with the castoffs of the rest of the set for pennies a piece. That no one ever has any other singles from that set (including Dave Weber), tells me all those McGwires are fakes. Fakes that are indistinguishable from the real deal (similar to the Nashville Sounds Mattingly, that was re-printed years later by the team from the same negatives), but fakes nonetheless.