Major card theft in Cooperstown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Here is an interesting news report of a major card theft in Cooperstown.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Man-steals-50000-worth-of-sports-memorabilia-339483662.html

I'd like to know how this guy had access to these valuable cards. Was he a employee at one of the card stores? And if he was selling the stolen cards to other dealers in Cooperstown that would seem to be not the best laid plan.

I remember card thefts (along with card forgeries and pack tampering) was a major problem in the 1980s and 1990s. Apparently it is still a problem these days as well. I'd love to know what the cards were that he is alleged to have stolen.

I wonder which store it was. If it was Pioneer Sportscards,that value is more like $10,000 since their stuff is incredibly overpriced. They make Burbank look like a bargain.

I wonder which store it was. If it was Pioneer Sportscards,that value is more like $10,000 since their stuff is incredibly overpriced. They make Burbank look like a bargain.

Although I have not been to Cooperstown in 20+ years, I do know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to inflated card prices in that town. In the late 80s-early 90s it was commonplace to see cards routinely priced at # to 4 times high book. And worse yet, people were buying them like they were gold. Talk about a combination of impulse buying and a sucker being born every minute!!! C-Town is the last place I'd buy cards. I thought with the decrease in card values that jacked up pricing was a thing of the past but maybe not.

And it was not the store you are speaking of that was robbed. Here is an article from the Oneonta paper on the theft including who bought the cards and who they were stolen from.

http://www.thedailystar.com/news/lo...cle_0b521d51-0d1b-51c6-b0e5-c0d7b50048f0.html

It seems to have not been an inside job but rather a case of misplaced trust.

Makes you wonder what he was planning on doing with the loot....expensive cards are generally numbered and would be picked up fast, especially out of the ordinary stuff!

Been to both shops and Yastrzemski Sports is one of the 2 shops I buy at when I go to Cooperstown. Not all shops there are tourist traps. Been to Paterno Brothers a couple times and always felt that I was being watched since they advertise on their door that security cameras were in use. Can't blame them considering all the traffic in the summertime,but it just feels creepy in there.

If these were numbered cards then this guy definitely did not have a great plan to fence them. I bet he's thinking that the pieces of cardboard are not worth going to prison.