Man Wins Court Case Against Upper Deck for Expired Redemtions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar hits it on the head, it's one thing to have a limited redemption period tied to a call up, it's another to say that certain signers are in the product and you only find out after opening a box that the item you have is a redemption for a certain time period. This gets into the realm of expired "gift cards" or "redemption fees" that certain states like California have cracked down on and won judgement aainst as unfair business practice. Some state's Attorney General will nail one of these manufacturers and the precident will be set, at least to a point that if they want to sell product in that state they will have to comply.

I would check around, see what series the 68 Topps were, what was in there, and decide from there. Just like if I was dropping 4-5 figures on unopened cases of 'modern' cards, I'd check to see what was in there, what was redemptions, and have a realistic expectation going in before I just dropped the money.

Using your logic, if I had a box of 2001 Bowman Chrome tucked away that unbeknowst to anyone had a Pujols redemption inside, and my house burned down, Topps would have to sit on the card until they went out of business. What if the redemption was pulled in 2001 and the person already had bad experiences with redemptions and just tossed it in the garbage out of anger? What if a parent threw a kids cards away? What if an angry spouse/significant other burned/tossed/destroyed them? Are they supposed to advertise Bowman Chrome for presell, but not tell you who the autographs are because they haven't gotten the cards back yet? How long do they wait before getting legal action going for players holding up a product?

Explain to me how it hurts Topps or UD to have to "sit" on that card. To me, it doesn't. In fact, I would think it would be excellent customer service- imagine the delight of the redeemer when his Pujols sig arrives no matter how much after the product date it is... and your theory has a flaw,as both topps & UD print extra cards of EVERY redemption/insert to have a way of fixing damaged in packing out/print issues. So they have always had extras to sit on. The difference is that they decide when the shelf life expires, and then use those extras to satisfy other customers, usually for players who didn't sign product. In fact, you might go so far as to say a very low percentage of redemptions are 100% redeemed within the 'expiration" period specified by the manufacturer. Expand that window and you should get closer to 100%.
You've taken a detour on the '68 Topps- the discussion was because it hadn't been advertised in 43 years, would that cause you to not buy it, not worth. I understand your point of knowing the value of any product before purchasing. The point being modern cards are now a gamble- just the fact that odds come into play in putting the hits into packs, then you now throw the wildcard in that some of the hits are now worthless after some arbitary date? then your possible value is diminished before you open the damn box- having 100% chance of redemption holds value of that box, IMO.

Really ?? An arguement in favor of not redeeming redemptions because of the "SPACE" required to house them "forever" ? Gimme a break !!

They could store 100,000 cards in a space 4ft x 4ft x 8ft high, basically the corner of .........

IMO...... If they advertise certain cards are in the packs, and something happens where they can't actually put them in the packs, they're still on the hook to deliver what was promised. Yes, forever ! As DK syas, if for no other reason than customer service.

Relating card boxes to lotteries, I agree. What's the difference ? But again, I very much disagree with lottery policies. If I buy a winning lottery ticket and for whatever reason forget I have it..... maybe don't even remember buying it..... then discover the ticket in my sock drawer 3 years later...... why shouldn't "they" have to give me my money ?

Last edited:
i think the resolution to the future of this issue has already been stated if you dont have someone presigning as advertised then dont advertise it, seems it would fix any issue that could ever come around.