Most surprising TTM success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

For me, it was several back in the late 80's when I did a majority of my TTM's.

Got these but unfortunately only have a few left anymore
Bo Jackson
Joe Montana
Brooks Robinson
Nolan Ryan
and the best was 1/2 from Mike Schmidt with a form letter but hand signed,from him. The funny thing was was apparently he could not read my hand writing so the return addy on the envelope and the letter just have my first name on them. Also one of the cards was the 88 fleer, which was not signed, and my buddy Jeremy had also sent two cards, which one was the 88 fleer also not signed. Then only thing I can think of is that he didn't like the picture on that card.:D

I've got a couple surprises that I can think of:

Alex Ramirez Like a few others, this was my first experience sending to Japan (and this was a good six or seven years ago), so my hopes weren't too high (even though I had heard the unknown A-Ram was a good signer). I threw a couple cards in there as well as a few dollars for his time and postage. Two and a half years later, it found its way back to America, with two cards signed and my money returned to me.

Bill Mazeroski This was another one of my early ones, and I only tried it because I had come across an address for Maz in Greensburg (ten minutes from my hometown). So I sent it out on a whim, not knowing what his signing habits were through the mail (being a HOFer and all). About three weeks later, I got one back signed (postmarked in Florida, no less), and I soon thereafter discovered that Maz doesn't sign too well through the mail. I guess being a local boy helped. :)

Omar Olivares I was surprised not only that I got my card signed (it was my first attempt at Puerto Rico), but I was surprised at what I received. I remember sending two cards (an 01 Topps and an 02 Topps), and about a month later, I got my 01 Topps signed with a page-long letter from MRS. Olivares talking about her family ties to the area I lived in at the time. I still have the letter - it's one of the oddball mementos I hold onto. :)