My 1909-1911 T-206 set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-206

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I know I havent been on here lately and I apologize for that. When I joined I told everyone and scanned my set. Well now I thought it might be time to update the thread and let everyone see the set that started it all. When I need 75 more I will rescan all the cards and show eveyone the updated scans. and when I hit 50 and if you are interested I will update the pics and so on.
Well here goes and Comments are always welcome Good or bad.

Just remember their are 8 cards not considered in the set due to scarcity.
Plank, Wagner, Demmitt NY, (S)nodgrass ( with the front of the "S" is missing) Maggie error, and so on

t-1.jpg

t-2.jpg

t-3.jpg

t-4.jpg

t-5.jpg

t-6.jpg

t-7.jpg

t-8.jpg

t-9.jpg

t-10.jpg

t-11.jpg

t-12.jpg

t-13.jpg

t-14.jpg

t-15.jpg

t-16.jpg

t-17.jpg

t-18.jpg

t-19.jpg

t-20.jpg

t-21.jpg

t-22.jpg

t-23.jpg

t-24.jpg

t-25.jpg

t-26.jpg

t-27.jpg

t-28.jpg

t-29.jpg

t-30.jpg

t-31.jpg

t-32.jpg

t-33.jpg

t-34.jpg

t-35.jpg

t-36.jpg

t-37.jpg

t-38.jpg

julyp2d.jpg

june2011a.jpg

t-206graded.jpg

t-206graded1.jpg

t-206graded3.jpg

t-206graded4.jpg

Thank you everyone. I will post updates when I get them if everyone is interested in seeing them. Most of my attention has been working on this set for the past couple of weeks ans work has really has had me busy. This is the reason I havent been on lately but hoping that will change soon.

Those are fun cards. I remember going to a shop in the University District of Seattle and looking at pages of these old tobacco cards and being able to pick a few out in halfway decent condition for relatively cheap. It has been close to 20 years since then though and it seems now even the most beat up commons sell for more than they should, but that is supply/demand for 100+ year old cards at it's best.

It's also nice to see a collection with some honest wear and tear. It actually becomes tiring to see the stacks and stacks, rows and rows, pages and pages or pristine, mint and graded cards these days. Too much emphasis has been placed on condition (but that is necessary to properly value the cards I suppose) and not enough on the fun aspect of the hobby. It's OK to buy the best and take care of your cards for future consideration, but that takes some of the fun out of it for me. A nice 1956 Topps cards with mildly rounded corners and some edge fraying is perfectly welcome in my collection anytime!

The only constructive criticism I would offer is that the decals take away from the presentation of the collection. I realize that you probably use those for quick reference and cataloging of the set, but it has always bothered me to see cards being "shown off" when they are not displayed at their best (taped top loaders, wrinkled team bags, scratched/yellowed or worn holders, etc. I would either neatly and uniformly mark the number above each slot with the intention of leaving it there with the cards in the end or remove them all together or perhaps place them on the back of the sheet, out of view.

My T cards are predominately Brooklyn players with an occasional HOF tossed in for good measure.

Those are fun cards. I remember going to a shop in the University District of Seattle and looking at pages of these old tobacco cards and being able to pick a few out in halfway decent condition for relatively cheap. It has been close to 20 years since then though and it seems now even the most beat up commons sell for more than they should, but that is supply/demand for 100+ year old cards at it's best.

It's also nice to see a collection with some honest wear and tear. It actually becomes tiring to see the stacks and stacks, rows and rows, pages and pages or pristine, mint and graded cards these days. Too much emphasis has been placed on condition (but that is necessary to properly value the cards I suppose) and not enough on the fun aspect of the hobby. It's OK to buy the best and take care of your cards for future consideration, but that takes some of the fun out of it for me. A nice 1956 Topps cards with mildly rounded corners and some edge fraying is perfectly welcome in my collection anytime!

The only constructive criticism I would offer is that the decals take away from the presentation of the collection. I realize that you probably use those for quick reference and cataloging of the set, but it has always bothered me to see cards being "shown off" when they are not displayed at their best (taped top loaders, wrinkled team bags, scratched/yellowed or worn holders, etc. I would either neatly and uniformly mark the number above each slot with the intention of leaving it there with the cards in the end or remove them all together or perhaps place them on the back of the sheet, out of view.

My T cards are predominately Brooklyn players with an occasional HOF tossed in for good measure.

You know I never thought of that about the stickers. I may have to remove them and put them on the back.
Yes it is a quick referance to which ones I do need so to me right now is very important to have. I may remove them and rescan them when I am down to 75 left I need. Do you think on the cards I am missing I should put the player and pose I need in its place so it would help others figure out which ones I need?

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you and your welcome

Very Nice, Love it !

And since you seem to be open to suggestions......... You might consider adding "Scan Heavy" to the thread title. I got locked up for a minute or so after entering the thread.

I thought maybe a reprint would be nice to fill the hole while waiting for the real deal, but then you'd need an easy and quick way to tell you still needed the original card. For the biggies, I'd definitely get reprints, like you have for the Plant. It looks better than an open hole or an explanation that it's not part of the set. It is part of the set, but you might not be able to ever afford one.

Awesome! I just love this set. So much so I have decided to collect the H.O.F.ers from this set.
I have only two so far, Chief Bender (graded SGC 30) and Rube Marquard (graded SGC 40). I figure I can afford two or three a year. Perhaps, minus Honus Wagner, I can complete that set one day.

Do you have any information in the way of books or the internet on this set? I would like to do some research.

Congrats on a great set. Sure hope you complete it soon.

Paul

Awesome! I just love this set. So much so I have decided to collect the H.O.F.ers from this set.
I have only two so far, Chief Bender (graded SGC 30) and Rube Marquard (graded SGC 40). I figure I can afford two or three a year. Perhaps, minus Honus Wagner, I can complete that set one day.

Do you have any information in the way of books or the internet on this set? I would like to do some research.

Congrats on a great set. Sure hope you complete it soon.

Paul

If you haven't ever, check out the Net54 forums. There is almost TOO much knowledge over there.

Also, http://www.t206.org/ is a pretty good site for information on the T206 set.

If you haven't ever, check out the Net54 forums. There is almost TOO much knowledge over there.

Also, http://www.t206.org/ is a pretty good site for information on the T206 set.

Hey! Thanks for the info. What a great site that t206.org is. I also went thru some of the links.

I came across the book "The T206 Collection" the players & their stories. Do you have this book?. If you do, could you give me your opinion on the book.

Thanks again.....Paul

Hey! Thanks for the info. What a great site that t206.org is. I also went thru some of the links.

I came across the book "The T206 Collection" the players & their stories. Do you have this book?. If you do, could you give me your opinion on the book.

Thanks again.....Paul

I actually do have that book. It is a great coffee table book with some fanastic stories in it. HOWEVER, it has almost nothing to do with the actual set, minus a few pages at the end. It is mainly made up of mini-biographies of the players accompanied by a photo of their T206 card. It doesn't go into any detail about the cards themselves.

I actually do have that book. It is a great coffee table book with some fanastic stories in it. HOWEVER, it has almost nothing to do with the actual set, minus a few pages at the end. It is mainly made up of mini-biographies of the players accompanied by a photo of their T206 card. It doesn't go into any detail about the cards themselves.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get the book. I saw some on Amazon going for about $12 (almost new).

Paul