My 1987 Topps Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wassdogg

Prospect
Everyone-
I joined The Bench several months ago and in November I started a 1987 Topps project, an idea which I stole from someone on this very site. Rather than post every success on this board, I've started tracking it as part of my duties as a baseball card writer (yes, that's an actual job) on Examiner.com. Please take a look and feel free to pm me regarding any addresses you're interested in obtaining. Thank you!

The link: http://www.examiner.com/x-28907-Seattle-Baseball-Card-Examiner

Very nice. I just sent Sparky Anderson a 1987 Topps. As you know I am after the 1976 Topps set. I 'll keep an eye out for more 1987.

Very nice. I just sent Sparky Anderson a 1987 Topps. As you know I am after the 1976 Topps set. I 'll keep an eye out for more 1987.

I was pretty surprised to get Sparky back. I had read that it was too hard for him to sign so I was pretty stoked when he showed up. If you get it back, it should happen pretty quick, I think it took about a week.

Not sure if you are referring to my signed 1987 Topps set quest as the thing that sparked your idea... not sure if you are only looking to TTM, signings and Ebay to put this together but if you check this thread I have quite a few dupes that I have acquired in the process of putting my set together I would be more than happy to trade..

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/thebench/showthread.php?t=312175

I did you see you had John Morris on your slideshow.. I could use the addy you used if you have it available.. that is one I am still missing. Thanks and good luck. I will be keeping an eye on your blog to see how things are going and to see if we can help each other out.

Not sure if you are referring to my signed 1987 Topps set quest as the thing that sparked your idea... not sure if you are only looking to TTM, signings and Ebay to put this together but if you check this thread I have quite a few dupes that I have acquired in the process of putting my set together I would be more than happy to trade..

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/thebench/showthread.php?t=312175

I did you see you had John Morris on your slideshow.. I could use the addy you used if you have it available.. that is one I am still missing. Thanks and good luck. I will be keeping an eye on your blog to see how things are going and to see if we can help each other out.

You're the one! I love the set, it was the year I started collecting, and it's ridiculously over produced so it's very cheap. Here's the Morris address:

2645 Elm Dr.
North Bellmore, NY 11710
It took about a month and a half.

I try to update the Examiner deal on Sundays. There are a few other baseball card-related stories on there, but they don't pay me enough to do anything too creative so it's primarily just a log for the Project.

I just read over all of your adventures...a good read. Good luck with it!

Couple of things...

I have the Greg Maddux out of the '87 set I could trade you for another Maddux to take it's place if you want it...I just need a Maddux for my PC, doesn't matter to me which card it is.

Just FYI...I got two of the 3 Rose cards, including the manager card signed for free TTM...got them through Field Of Dreams...I don't know how it is now with that as I think I was the first one to figure out that you could get him...I shared the info with people here and on StarTiger and it seems to be a poisoned pool now I guess...but, maybe there is some hope...if you check his website for where he will be at and time it out right, you might be able to catch him at a venue....worth a shot anyway as you say these cards are cheaper than a dime a doz.

here are my two:

RoseAuto2.jpg

RoseAuto.jpg

I just read over all of your adventures...a good read. Good luck with it!

Couple of things...

I have the Greg Maddux out of the '87 set I could trade you for another Maddux to take it's place if you want it...I just need a Maddux for my PC, doesn't matter to me which card it is.

Just FYI...I got two of the 3 Rose cards, including the manager card signed for free TTM...got them through Field Of Dreams...I don't know how it is now with that as I think I was the first one to figure out that you could get him...I shared the info with people here and on StarTiger and it seems to be a poisoned pool now I guess...but, maybe there is some hope...if you check his website for where he will be at and time it out right, you might be able to catch him at a venue....worth a shot anyway as you say these cards are cheaper than a dime a doz.

here are my two:

RoseAuto2.jpg

RoseAuto.jpg

If he does not trade for the Maddux, I would be interested in that deal as I got him on a different card before starting the 87 set.

If he does not trade for the Maddux, I would be interested in that deal as I got him on a different card before starting the 87 set.
ok...here it is...will give him the first shot since I offered it...like i said, just looking to get another one back for my PC...would actually like to get another rookie or in a Braves uni....or any certified pack pulled of him would work:

GregMadduxAuto.jpg

Also...have this Fielder...I've heard rumors he has stopped signing? Anyone know if that is true? If anyone needs this one as well, let me know...same deal...I just need one for my PC, doesn't really matter which one to me.

FielderAuto.jpg

Last edited:
I am definately interested in the Maddux as I just started working on the traded set... I have the Fielder, I sent to him c/o the minor league team he was coaching last year. It cost $10 or $15 to have him sign it. It was initially sent back with a request for Donation.

ok...here it is...will give him the first shot since I offered it...like i said, just looking to get another one back for my PC...would actually like to get another rookie or in a Braves uni....or any certified pack pulled of him would work:

GregMadduxAuto.jpg

Also...have this Fielder...I've heard rumors he has stopped signing? Anyone know if that is true? If anyone needs this one as well, let me know...same deal...I just need one for my PC, doesn't really matter which one to me.

FielderAuto.jpg

I haven't started working on the traded set and don't know if I will, so the Maddux can go to whoever is next in line. That Fielder is sweet, and I had heard that he doesn't sign TTM anymore. I would certainly be interested in that, although I have virtually no extras, only stuff that people have included that I didn't originally send. Please let me know what it would take to land Cecil.