My First Check Out My Cards Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rarthur

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So for about a year and a half now I have been intrigued by Checkoutmycards.com but was somewhat hesitant in creating an account because I just didn't like their shipping prices. Well the other day I finally rationalized the shipping to myself ($5.40 for me for 19 cards by the way) and added $20.00 credit to my account. I had a lot of time searching through all the various cards and looking at the wide range of prices. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the prices I was able to get on some player PCs, sets, vintage, etc. There were also those that were unwilling to take offers as well and a few set needs that were overpriced but I took the hit regardless just to knock a few things out. I saved $0.81 in my account to try to aquire some cards and try to flip them and see where that takes me. So here's what I have being shipped to me and the prices I got them for (BV listed then purchase price bolded)....

1962 Topps Don Taussig RC #44 BV: $5.00 --- $0.50
1963 Topps Bob Bruce #24 BV: $4.00 --- $0.33
1964 Topps Bob Lillis #321 BV: $4.00 --- $0.60
1965 Topps Lum Harris MG RC #274 BV: $2.50 --- $0.26
2008 Playoff Contenders Jason Knapp #27 BV: $0.60 --- $0.25
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Perry RC #BDP19 BV: $2.00 --- $0.19
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Jose Lobaton RC #BDP36 BV: $0.75 --- $0.19
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Christopher Lovett #BDPP6 BV: $0.60 --- $0.24
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Sequoyah Stonecipher #BDPP17 BV: $1.25 --- $0.50
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Paul Applebee #BDPP38 BV: $1.25 --- $0.19
2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Robert Stock #BDPP39 BV: $1.25 --- $0.19
2009 Topps Chrome Rich Harden Gold Refractor #19 (20/50) BV: $5.00 --- $1.15
2010 Bowman Chrome Topps 100 Jiovanni Mier #TPC41 (320/999) BV: $3.00 --- $0.75
2010 Bowman Chrome Draft Brad Lincoln Gold Refractor #BDP21 (40/50) BV: $10 --- $2.75
2010 Bowman Draft Blue Brad Lincoln #BDP21 (279/399) BV: $3.00 --- $0.57
2010 Bowman Platinum Prospects George Springer #PP48 BV: $2.50 --- $0.50
2010 Bowman Platinum Prospects George Springer Purple Refractor #PP48 BV: $4.00 --- $1.53
2010 Bowman Sterling USA Relics George Spinger #USAR40 BV: $8.00 --- $3.00
2010 Topps Chrome Refractors Rich Harden #47 BV: $1.25 --- $0.15

I'm pretty excited to see these when they come in. Got stuff for all of my PCs and finished my 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Set. I wasn't planning on picking up any vintage but the prices for some early 60s Astros/Colt .45's piqued my interest. Very happy with my deals and am looking into selling here soon!

Last edited:
Yea buying at COMC can be fun and its nice to have the resource on hand when you know someone will be out signing. and i agree i need to look into selling too but as always i am hesatant to make the jump, maybe we can hear from a few people that do sell on COMC and get some ideas about that too?

dave

I really like COMC. I've been trying to build the 2007 SP Legendary Cuts "Legendary Americana" set (have 79 of the 100), and I've probably gotten about a third of the ones I have from there. The shipping is a bit pricey, but it kind of evens out anyways because of a lot of the great deals they have on a lot of the cards.

Another plus is that they have BVs listed for a lot of cards in their inventory, which really helps for traders here like me who don't have access to Beckett to get a BV or an approximation on some cards.

I love COMC...been using it for over 2 years now and bought and sold a TON of cards...

General Account Info

Items in Inventory 7,002
Total Book Value $19,162.60
Items w/o Book Price 34
Total Asking Price $6,205.68

Total Sales $7,437.90
Items Sold 6,981
Items Purchased 1,196
Items Added to the Site 13,884

I live close to COMC and have met/know some of the guys that work there, including Tim, the owner and they are all great people...without exception.

I have never had a single problem buying, selling, contacting, etc, etc ,etc....no problems whatsoever since I began using the site...not a single issue through thousands and thousands of consigned cards, purchases and many shipments...that place is one smooth operation.

FWIW....if you (or anyone else riding The Pine) are ever interested in any of my COMC cards send me a PM and remind me you are a Bench member (w/ your COMC name) and I'll accept better than normal offers...

I love COMC...been using it for over 2 years now and bought and sold a TON of cards...

General Account Info

Items in Inventory 7,002
Total Book Value $19,162.60
Items w/o Book Price 34
Total Asking Price $6,205.68

Total Sales $7,437.90
Items Sold 6,981
Items Purchased 1,196
Items Added to the Site 13,884

I live close to COMC and have met/know some of the guys that work there, including Tim, the owner and they are all great people...without exception.

I have never had a single problem buying, selling, contacting, etc, etc ,etc....no problems whatsoever since I began using the site...not a single issue through thousands and thousands of consigned cards, purchases and many shipments...that place is one smooth operation.

FWIW....if you (or anyone else riding The Pine) are ever interested in any of my COMC cards send me a PM and remind me you are a Bench member (w/ your COMC name) and I'll accept better than normal offers...

So you've sold roughly half of the cards you added (6,981 out of 13,884 = 50.28%) for over $7,000? That seems amazing to me. If you don't mind me asking, are you just selling base-type cards, or more expensive cards?

I'm somewhat amazed at threads like these because I often try to sell cards (for a lot less than 19 cents each and $5.40 shipping) here, but get few takers. But buyers love these deals they get from COMC where it seems like they paid a lot more. I guess it's time to look into selling there, so if you could pm me with a very light summary of what you usually sell, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

COMC shipping is a lot betther than the shipping carges that you see at sportlots.com by a mile!!!!!

Seeing all these positive reviews on the site, I signed up this morning...and I have to say it looks very well put together! As for the shipping, I'd love to see something better than sportlots!

Tim

I started with COMC in February and have already sold almost 300 cards.
It is a very well organized and well run site.

Rich

Last edited:
Yea i have been buying from COMC for well over a year and its a well used favorites on my computer too. but if you freind/like them in face book they will send out well in advance heads up when they are doing work on the site, so you know if its going to be upgraded and or down for what ever reason well in advacne and can anticipate that. they also keep adding in upgrades too, so it continues to get better as well.

Shipping is pretty expensive....packaging definitely can be improved (the way the package lots, 20-30 cards, can/will at some point become a problem).

So you've sold roughly half of the cards you added (6,981 out of 13,884 = 50.28%) for over $7,000? That seems amazing to me. If you don't mind me asking, are you just selling base-type cards, or more expensive cards?

I'm somewhat amazed at threads like these because I often try to sell cards (for a lot less than 19 cents each and $5.40 shipping) here, but get few takers. But buyers love these deals they get from COMC where it seems like they paid a lot more. I guess it's time to look into selling there, so if you could pm me with a very light summary of what you usually sell, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

About half of those sales are base cards, mostly at 25 cents a pop. Of that 25 cents I typically paid 10-15 cents for listing them and then 20% of the sale, so for a 25 cent sale I get 5 to 10 cents profit. However, I have mostly been using my credit for purchases (and listing more cards) and this eliminates the 20% cash out expense, so its more often 10-15 cents profit.

I think part of the reason people pay more on COMC is that cards are scanned front and back and BVs are posted so when someone sees that they are getting 75% or 80% off BV then it looks like a better deal, its psychological...Also, they are now well established and trustworthy, so even though you are buying from many different sellers it's actually COMC that is taking the responsibility to ensure a smooth transaction. The confidence people have in them adds value. It's also lot easier when you can buy from any of the hundreds of sellers and have all the cards shipped at once, for a reasonable amount...well, I see a lot of complaining that their shipping is too much but it is a business and there is labor involved in pulling and packing cards...I just had 99 cards shipped (many in top loaders) for $17.00, that's about 17 cents a card, which I have no problem paying. I just let cards sit in my account until I have enough for their Bulk Shipping rate or until there is a shipping special (about twice a year). In comparison, buying these 99 cards on any other site (from over 30 sellers) would have likely cost me 4 or 5 times as much in postage.

Finally, FWIW, I have had great success selling cards here on The Bench...if the price is right, i.e 85-90% off BV and shipping is at cost things should move well. Of course it helps to have the cards people want and well-written lists...

Hope this helps! Rob