My holy grail in from BVG...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrchoholic83

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Thanks to anyone who bid on my last set of auctions, it was much appreciated and helped me revamp my PC to get some new HOF Autos, some nice vintage, and my favorite card ever produced! I purchased it raw which was a little scary, but I ended up saving a lot of money that way! It came back a 1 (as expected), but I am just happy that it came back as an authentic card! Here is my holy grail of baseball cards:

Before the grading:

br.png

brb.png

And after:

brbvg.png

brbvgback.png

Thanks for looking,

Jeremy

Nice card! How and why did you decide on BVG or Beckett? Is one better than the other? I'm not sure I understand the point of Beckett, BVG and BCCG (is that right?) I mean if it would get a better grade at one then it would the other, does that really make sense?

Sweet card none the less! There is just something about the old stuff that is just beautiful no matter what they do to the new stuff.

Thanks
Craig

Nice. My dream card has long been the green background Ruth from the same set, #181 I believe. They generally go for $1K plus though for a nice decent copy, more than I care to spend.

Nice card! How and why did you decide on BVG or Beckett? Is one better than the other? I'm not sure I understand the point of Beckett, BVG and BCCG (is that right?) I mean if it would get a better grade at one then it would the other, does that really make sense?

Sweet card none the less! There is just something about the old stuff that is just beautiful no matter what they do to the new stuff.

Thanks
Craig

Thanks Craig! I went with BVG for the following reasons:

Cheaper, $54, when PSA was $110 plus shipping but you do get a subscription and 6 free gradings, but I didn't have anything else I needed to grade.

I like the cases better than PSA and SGC. SGC was the same price by the way. I knew it would get a 1 no matter who I sent it to, there is too much creasing for it to get a 1.5 or a 2.

BVG is for Vintage and it doesn't give subgrades like BGS because cards were produced differently. BCCG is a collectors club thing, and it just states that the cards may be a certain grade, you'll see a lot of 10 Mint or Better which means it could be a 9 or a 10, BCCG is a waste of time and money if you ask me, it's a lot cheaper though.

Thanks mrmopar! The green background is a nice Ruth too, I love how everyone has their favorite Ruth from that set. I have always been a fan of #144 though, for some reason it just appeals to me the most.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited:
Yours is more of a classic baseball pose and very colorful, however the green Ruth struck a nerve with me early on. It's actually kind of an ugly Ruth shot, but that green is awesome when it's not worn and faded.

bd0w2UhDTVI6cI2.jpg

Sweet looking card! Thats my favorite one! Best regards, David

Thanks David! I would have loved for it to be in better condition, but my cards didn't sell for that much :D .

mrmopar - That is a VERY nice ruth, I wish mine was in the same condition, and you are right about the green, there is something about bright colors on old cards.

Ah! Thanks!

Thanks Craig! I went with BVG for the following reasons:

Cheaper, $54, when PSA was $110 plus shipping but you do get a subscription and 6 free gradings, but I didn't have anything else I needed to grade.

I like the cases better than PSA and SGC. SGC was the same price by the way. I knew it would get a 1 no matter who I sent it to, there is too much creasing for it to get a 1.5 or a 2.

BVG is for Vintage and it doesn't give subgrades like BGS because cards were produced differently. BCCG is a collectors club thing, and it just states that the cards may be a certain grade, you'll see a lot of 10 Mint or Better which means it could be a 9 or a 10, BCCG is a waste of time and money if you ask me, it's a lot cheaper though.

Thanks mrmopar! The green background is a nice Ruth too, I love how everyone has their favorite Ruth from that set. I have always been a fan of #144 though, for some reason it just appeals to me the most.

Thanks,

Jeremy

That is a sweet card! I hope to have one someday, preferrably that one, because I have a card from that set already. I think it is kind of neater, in a way, to have wear and some creases. If it doesn't, people will think it is newer than 70+. Maybe that thought is just jammed into my head from American Pickers but either way it's a nice card.

those are some NICE Ruth cards! WOW. it is nice to see people going for the old vintage rather than some GU of his.

That is a very nice pickup for sure. Not being nosy, but what was the ballpark price on that one? Would like to pick one up myself and wondering if it's feasible.

That is a very nice pickup for sure. Not being nosy, but what was the ballpark price on that one? Would like to pick one up myself and wondering if it's feasible.

Thanks everyone! Ballpark for these when they go to auction is 650-700, the BIN's are about 850+.