My Trading Board Pet Peeve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamsets4u.com

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Why is it that when you go into a selling post that the price they are looking for is never included.
If you are trying to sell a card put the price you are looking for in the post.

Are people so scared at lossing out on a couple dollars that someone might be willing to pay by listing the price to low or do they just love being used car salesman.

Even worst when you offer a compariable price to what they sell for on ebay they get insulted.

Just my little rant.

I agree that not listing a price is irritating. I suppose sometimes these people figure a better offer will come, but how often do people really "high ball offer" for stuff?

I have always been a price tag buyer, meaning if there is no price tag, I usually walk on by.

While it's not a huge pet peeve of mine, I do think the responsibility should be on the seller to state the asking prices. If someone then wants to make a counter-offer, they can.

I toatally agree with all the above and would like to add that what really gets my goat is when someone posts all for sale check my bucket.Almost always I get,"Well that one isn't for sale"..Why do traders always do this!! I won't even look at buckets anymore because of this....I love this site but over the past year it has been getting harder and harder to get a trade done.Im sure it's mostly due to the fact that most collectors budgets have shrunken alot due to the economy...This is a hobby and if anyone has one that is profitable please let me know!! In other words expect to lose money to collect..I would also like to add that 50% of high book is a fair price in the real world so don't expect a high ball offer from other collectors who know what it's worth and don't be insulted by what someone will pay for your cards..Theres so much stuff out there that if I don't buy a card from someone at what I'm willing to pay for it someone else will sell it to me for what I'm willing to pay..So please don't be insulted by offers and don't quote ebay prices..aarrgghh!! sorry for the rant..I feel better now

Last edited:
Why is it that when you go into a selling post that the price they are looking for is never included.
If you are trying to sell a card put the price you are looking for in the post.

Are people so scared at lossing out on a couple dollars that someone might be willing to pay by listing the price to low or do they just love being used car salesman.

Even worst when you offer a compariable price to what they sell for on ebay they get insulted.

Just my little rant.

It's just another way for buyers or sellers to play the victim. If a seller states his price, he opens himself up to being told he's way out of line, priced too high, a rip[off artist, etc. If a buyer makes an offer, the seller can claim the buyer is trying to lowball him.
It's all in trying to perceive yourself as the good guy. Ask 30 people if they've ever lowballed someone, and most, if not all of them will say no. Ask those same people if anyone has ever made THEM a lowball offer and you won't have time for all they stories they can tell you.

If someone is buying singles, sets, even wax, they want the best possible deal. Otherwise they move on to better prices or just don't buy that item. In an arena like this where the "values" of cards fluctuate over time, up and down, the common practice is to barter. When the "value" is perceived as high, the prices will follow, and vice versa when something softens in the market.

If someone is offering the latest and greatest hot item, then they might as well auction it on ebay. Someone may be willing to offer top dollar for it, but only if they think the price will soar even higher. Most buyers are looking to get a deal on it, also in hopes it will go higher.

The thing with me is that I have a general idea of what I might be willing to spend on something when I see it. If something is "worth" $30, I may only be willing to spend $5 on it, because I can find them at that price easily. However, I may be willing to spend $30 on the same item if I don't think I will ever see it again. If it's priced, I know I can either snap it up or offer a little less on it, knowing the seller is getting near what they asked. If a seller has no price though, he might be expecting $45 for this $30 item. I don't know? Maybe he bought high, has not kept up with the times and will be offended with an offer less than $35! He will probably never get that, but you can't tell then that w/o hearing about it.

I tried to suggest that "for sale" categories require an asking price a while back, but the idea was nixed. It's like walking into a shop where nothing is marked..."Who much is this"..."How about this?"..."and this one?"..."What about these over here?"...

I'm currently reading Needful Things by Steven King, and this thread cracked me up. The reason they don't put the price on the card is so they can dicker, and attempt to make a bargain for your soul. (I think; I actually haven't made it far enough into the book...)

I don't know if anybody else has read it, but so far there has been a ton of talk about.... drum roll.... baseball cards!

I seem to remember that movie. I think I saw it because of that. I don't remember the specific card though, but I want to say a Mantle from the mid 50s, maybe a 56 Topps Mantle.

So please don't be insulted by offers and don't quote ebay prices..aarrgghh!!

I'm never (welllll almost) insulted by offers but I've posted many for sale threads and it's really irritating, as a seller, when the average ebay price is $15 and I offer to sell for $12 and the "buyer" then counters with $10 or $11.

Like someone else said....... The lowball offers are never ending. Why waste my time ? I know the value as well as you do ! Everything I've ever offered for sale here I've offered to sell for less than ebay prices. So please don't get offended when I offer to sell for significantly less than current value ......aarrgghh!! :D

sticker price causes sticker shock. they want you to come in for a test drive and feel the leather against your bum...

I'm never (welllll almost) insulted by offers but I've posted many for sale threads and it's really irritating, as a seller, when the average ebay price is $15 and I offer to sell for $12 and the "buyer" then counters with $10 or $11.

Like someone else said....... The lowball offers are never ending. Why waste my time ? I know the value as well as you do ! Everything I've ever offered for sale here I've offered to sell for less than ebay prices. So please don't get offended when I offer to sell for significantly less than current value ......aarrgghh!! :D

Lot of people figure they'll give it a shot- I don't have time or energy to fight over $1 or $2 but some do.

I seem to remember that movie. I think I saw it because of that. I don't remember the specific card though, but I want to say a Mantle from the mid 50s, maybe a 56 Topps Mantle.

Little Brian Rusk was putting together a set of 1956 Topps baseball cards, and he picked one up at Needful Things the new store in town. It was one of the more expensive ones he needed, Sandy Koufax... and the best part is that it is autographed... and even better than that it's inscribed "To Brian". Brian is able to pick up this White Whale for a mere 85 cents... plus a little prank that he has to pull on his neighbor.

I own the movie, purchased it recently in a 4 pack of King movies, but I decided to read the book first, so I haven't quite seen it. So far the book is highly recommendable, and I don't want to give too much away, but... has anybody ever heard of Sammy Koberg?

Señor Mopar... I know it's been a while, but I watched the movie tonight. I have to commend you on your impeccable memory. Despite the fact that the card in the book was a 1956 Sandy Koufax, the card in the movie was in fact... a 1956 Mickey Mantle. The weak part was how the sheriff picked up the card and saw it was a 1956 Mickey Mantle signed "To my dear friend Brian"... in the book, the Koufax card was all in his mind. His little brother sees the card and wonders why his big brother is so fascinated with this ****** unsigned bent up old card of some guy named Sammy Koberg, who according to King (and my feeble memory) only played 2 or 3 games in the majors. But, as is usually the case, the book was far superior to the movie.

Oh yeah, and I thought Sammy Koberg might be a real person and Steve King might have done some cool baseball history research, but... after a bit o' Googling, I have to say that Sammy Koberg was completely made up on the spot by King.

Anyway, now back to your regular Bench programming...

That is very true. I say not only for selling but trading also. You have to stay tuned to the boards for the updates you asked pricing on which could be avoided. If the member posting had done it in the first place. I try on every post to put a price. You don't have to ask the question, then wait for the return info to start trading.
Tankp