Need help getting into the hobby :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

graydenbaseball

Bench Warmer
Hello,

I am an avid baseball fan, my dad and his family have all worked for the bluejays at one point and I was pulled into the sport. I love it with all my heart and am always excited to watch a few games.

Recently, I have been having the interest in baseball cards, I don't know how but I just found myself caught in the YouTube recommendations about drawing baseball cards. And recently I have been really "bored" with nothing to do but of course when I'm not playing baseball watching baseball, playing catch or video games.

So it just drew me in and I would like help from you guys because I don't know all too well about the hobby. I don't need free cards or anything I just want to know the basics, what cards to look out for, what companies to get, what card sets to draw - that sort of things

Cheers,

GraydenBaseball

P.S I hope I posted this in the right place :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people are asking to get out or how do I stop this madness:)

The only real advise I can give you for getting in is buy what you like, that way if it goes down in value you at least still like it. Decide whether you want to be a team, set, type, or player collector and try to have focus. I lack that and have a very broad collection but, it has many holes because I look WAY too much. Other than that, is have fun, it is a hobby.

Probably the best way to start is to just open some packs. I would not break the bank and drop all 500 bucks on one box but maybe just go to Wal Mart or Target and get a 20 dollar box. I think it is a great hobby and this is a really nice place to start. Once you decide what to collect there will be plenty of members on here who will be more than willing to help you out.

Welcome and have fun!!

Bryon

Bryon is right, get started without dropping all your money in one place. Find a team, player, or set you like and start there. Personally, I like to track book values of cards in my collection and I essentially ignore sale value (market value) because I am not in it for flipping or profiteering. I only say this because it gives me less stress.

Buying a Topps box might give you a feel of where to go. If you like the look of classic cards, Topps Heritage or Allen & Ginter may be the way-to-go.
Collecting can get very expensive depending on what you like to collect. Building base sets doesn't get too expensive, building team sets (base) is even cheaper if you are a die hard B'Jays fan. One thing to keep in mind is that if you plan on trading, postage costs from the U.S. to Canada is very expensive and most traders, including myself, will not trade with Canadians because of the cost. I am assuming, of course, that you live in Canada.
Good luck and as mentioned previously, it is important to have fun! Mike

I do live in Canada sadly for the hobby, but I am a bluejays fan so collecting some old jays cards and that sort of stuff may be fun! This community is really nice by the way, I'll enjoy the hobby and this fourm.

I started back in 83 with a pack here and there, eventually started receiving complete set for Christmas each year and has grown and expanded a few different ways but I still enjoy my collection. i would also suggest focusing on a portion of the hobby and don't get wholly involved and have to have everything you see, you will never complete any project that way. also find something fun to do in the collection. i used to bowl so i incorporated a 300, 800 collection. i have 1 each of cards with the #300, #800, serieal #'d 300/xxxx or 800/xxxx and i have fun with that on the side of what ever else i decide to work on.

if interested in some older blue jays cards (80's and 90's) I would sell cheaply (penny a card) plus shipping. I use flat rate boxes and would need an address to figure shipping.

have fun and enjoy and welcome to "the bench".

First thing I would do is figure out what/who you want to collect. If you like the Blue Jays, that would be a great start to work on collecting them. Not many Blue Jay collector's on here that I know of so that might help you with trading for cards. Postage can be very expensive when it comes to trading (that is why trading is down I feel).

Start off slow and remember that this is a hobby and make sure you enjoy it. The money can go fast if you don't have some restrictions for yourself. There will always be more and more cards you will find yourself wanting if you really get into the hobby.

Having patients is another thing. Most things won't get finished in a week, month or even a year. Remember that if you keep working on things slowly they will eventually get done.

Enjoy and "The Bench" is a great place for many things for this hobby so get on often and use the site to help. Ask, ask, ask anything and other will help you out. We were all new once in this hobby.

Ron

Thanks ron and Steve, I will enjoy the hobby lots and in the near future will contact you Steve about some jays cards as I am on a trip right now and won't have wifi for a week starting tomorrow , thanks for all the kind words (everyone)

First welcome to the Bench, all i could is more of what has already been said, take it slow and find what you like.

good luck
dave

Welcome to The Bench and enjoy your venture into the world of card collecting.

Thanks

Matt