Need Help IDing this Musial Exhibit(?) card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonzomoretti

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I have been working on cleaning out my basement over the last few weeks and came across this card that I remember getting in the 1970's but thought I had traded it away a long time ago. Don't remember how or where I got it.
musialexhibit0001_zpssns570wu.jpg
It looks as though it may have been trimmed as one side looks a little off. It's 3 5/16 inches wide by 5 5/16 inches tall. Blank back. White stock, not too thick.
Any help out there? If interested, I will trade it for Mets help. Thanks

It is from the 1947-1966 exhibits set. Unfortunately the Musial has been illegally reproduced a lot. If it has the dark grey back then it is a reprint for sure. If it is the original then the book price is 60.00 but I would be very careful as to whether or not it is an original.

It is from the 1947-1966 exhibits set. Unfortunately the Musial has been illegally reproduced a lot. If it has the dark grey back then it is a reprint for sure. If it is the original then the book price is 60.00 but I would be very careful as to whether or not it is an original.

Mine has a white/tannish/spotty back:
musialback0001_zpshv7nthar.jpg
fake or real??? any help?

Mine has a white/tannish/spotty back:
musialback0001_zpshv7nthar.jpg
fake or real??? any help?

I still am not sure. I have not seen any of these around for a while. I think the reprints were done on a thinner stock also. MrMopar would be a good person to ask about this. You may also want to post it in the vintage forum to maybe get a better idea. I know in Beckett it lists for 60.00 in mint condition.

I happened upon this. Thanks for the callout, but I am not that knowledgable about exhibits. I do have a couple sets of the colored reprints from the late 70s/early 80s (but those are obvious reprints) and believe I have a handful of originals, but I can't be 100% sure, since all were obtained from others originally.

I happened upon this. Thanks for the callout, but I am not that knowledgable about exhibits. I do have a couple sets of the colored reprints from the late 70s/early 80s (but those are obvious reprints) and believe I have a handful of originals, but I can't be 100% sure, since all were obtained from others originally.

Mine has a brownish/pinkish tint to the ink. Is that any help as to its origin? I don't know what color the originals are. Thanks

This is what Beckett Online has for this set:

"This grouping encompasses a wide time span but displays a common design. The following players have been illegally reprinted in mass quantities on a thinner-than-original cardboard which is also characterized by a dark gray back: Aaron, Ford, Fox, Hodges, Elston Howard, Mantle, Mays, Musial, Newcombe, Reese, Spahn, and Ted Williams. Each card measures 3 3/8" by 5 3/8". In the checklist below SIG refers to signature and SCR refers to script name on card. The abbreviations POR (portrait), BAT (batting), and FIE (fielding) are also used below. There are many levels of scarcity within this "set," essentially based on which year(s) the player's card was printed. The Mickey Mantle portrait card, for example, was only printed in 1966, the last year of production. Those scarce cards which were only produced one or two years are noted parenthetically below by the last two digits of the year(s) of issue. Cards which seem to be especially difficult to obtain are the ones produced only in 1966 which are the aforementioned Mantle Portrait, Ford, Kranepool, Richardson, Skowron (White Sox), Ward and Yastrzemski. Some leading exhibit experts believe that the salutation and these cards should be checklisted together because of the long printing history of some of the salutations. Please note that the following cards have been reprinted: Hank Aaron, Whitey Ford (no glove, throwing), Nelson Fox, Gil Hodges (Brooklyn cap), Elston Howard, Willie May (Batting, New York), Stan Musial (three bats, kneeling), Don Newcombe (Brooklyn cap), *** Wee Reese (ball not visable), Warren Spahn (Boston)."

Hope this helps!

Scobes

This is what Beckett Online has for this set:

"This grouping encompasses a wide time span but displays a common design. The following players have been illegally reprinted in mass quantities on a thinner-than-original cardboard which is also characterized by a dark gray back: Aaron, Ford, Fox, Hodges, Elston Howard, Mantle, Mays, Musial, Newcombe, Reese, Spahn, and Ted Williams. Each card measures 3 3/8" by 5 3/8". In the checklist below SIG refers to signature and SCR refers to script name on card. The abbreviations POR (portrait), BAT (batting), and FIE (fielding) are also used below. There are many levels of scarcity within this "set," essentially based on which year(s) the player's card was printed. The Mickey Mantle portrait card, for example, was only printed in 1966, the last year of production. Those scarce cards which were only produced one or two years are noted parenthetically below by the last two digits of the year(s) of issue. Cards which seem to be especially difficult to obtain are the ones produced only in 1966 which are the aforementioned Mantle Portrait, Ford, Kranepool, Richardson, Skowron (White Sox), Ward and Yastrzemski. Some leading exhibit experts believe that the salutation and these cards should be checklisted together because of the long printing history of some of the salutations. Please note that the following cards have been reprinted: Hank Aaron, Whitey Ford (no glove, throwing), Nelson Fox, Gil Hodges (Brooklyn cap), Elston Howard, Willie May (Batting, New York), Stan Musial (three bats, kneeling), Don Newcombe (Brooklyn cap), *** Wee Reese (ball not visable), Warren Spahn (Boston)."

Hope this helps!

Scobes

Thanks Scobes. Yes, it helps. The one I have looks to be trimmed but it still measures sl. larger than the dimensions given above. Mine is 3 5/8 by 5 11/16. Must be a reprint.