Need help valuing a collection (detailed list inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I hope this is an ok place to post this. Few years ago I purchased a very large collection. It took me a long time to go through, but over the years, I pulled out what I thought might be worth trying to move. Some of the collection was sold long ago, but I still have quite a bit that I've sorted out and logged. Autos, GU, numbered, rcs, etc. Anyway, life with kids these past 2-3 years has become complex and honestly I'd prefer to move most of the rest of this collection in bulk if I could. I really don't have the time or the money to keep collecting how I'd like anyway. I've organized the collection in google drive. I'm hoping some of you might glance at my large sortable list and give me an idea of if you think it's worth trying to move this in bulk and what might be fair to ask for something like this. I don't mind taking a little bit of a hit on the total value if someone would want a deal and wants to sell it all individually. Anyway, the list is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7c-kJiFvRHbkN50srg2DPT8_J-QeVkQ-ZUSqaFlBG4/edit#gid=0

I haven't been very active on forums lately, but I've been around here and other forums for over a decade. I'm not some sheister or completely unknowledgable new guy trying to overvalue junk era stuff. Some of the highlights are:

many Danbury mint gold cards, Bradford exchange plates, Pujols rcs, Jeter rcs, very low numbered 90s stuff of Thomas, Ripken, Ortiz. You can sort the list by player, team, card set, and many other parameters.

I took a look and it is a very nice list of stuff. Please do not take this the wrong way but if you want to move it in one lump sum you are going to take a big hit. I just think that people do not have the type of money to drop on collection this size. While I would love to buy all this stuff it would be kind of hard to explain to the wife that we have to skip a couple mortgage payments but my collection is great now!! Your best bet is to maybe look at setting up at a show. I am not sure how much it would cost for a table but the higher priced cards would most likely sell for sure. But if you want to make some money on this stuff you will have to piece it out for sure. The Jeter SP and Bowman's Best Pujols should go on Ebay if you would like to get your best money for those two. Either way good luck and I hope this helps.

Bryon

I agree with Bryon, if you sell it as one lot you're going to take more than "a little bit of a hit". I've bought several collections like this and paid probably about 20% of what resale value would be. If you want to maximize return while minimizing time spent on it I think you would have to break it up into smaller lots and sell yourself. First selling individual cards which go for maybe $5 plus, then in lots by player, team, brand/year, etc, that yield at least $10. Which is exactly what I would do if I bought it. List just 2 or 3 lots a day and it'll be gone quicker than you might think.

I took a look and it is a very nice list of stuff. Please do not take this the wrong way but if you want to move it in one lump sum you are going to take a big hit. I just think that people do not have the type of money to drop on collection this size. While I would love to buy all this stuff it would be kind of hard to explain to the wife that we have to skip a couple mortgage payments but my collection is great now!! Your best bet is to maybe look at setting up at a show. I am not sure how much it would cost for a table but the higher priced cards would most likely sell for sure. But if you want to make some money on this stuff you will have to piece it out for sure. The Jeter SP and Bowman's Best Pujols should go on Ebay if you would like to get your best money for those two. Either way good luck and I hope this helps.

Bryon

I agree with Bryon, if you sell it as one lot you're going to take more than "a little bit of a hit". I've bought several collections like this and paid probably about 20% of what resale value would be. If you want to maximize return while minimizing time spent on it I think you would have to break it up into smaller lots and sell yourself. First selling individual cards which go for maybe $5 plus, then in lots by player, team, brand/year, etc, that yield at least $10. Which is exactly what I would do if I bought it. List just 2 or 3 lots a day and it'll be gone quicker than you might think.

Mega dittos

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like a little at a time is the way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk