Need some help in card ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm almost done catalouging every card I have for trade and I'm having some trouble identifying some cards.

I have some 1998 Collector's Choice cards with a white border. I believe these to be from the base set.

However I have some other cards that have the same design but with a gray border. Are the gray-bordered cards part of some parallel set that's not listed in my Becket Quarterly?

Any help would truly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

from beckett OPG
"The 1998 Collector's Choice set (produced by Upper Deck) was issued in two separate series, each containing 265 cards. Packs for both first and second series contained 14 cards and carried a suggested retail price of $1.29. First series packs went live around March, 1998 and second series packs followed suit in June, 1998. Card fronts feature color glossy action player photos framed by a clean white or gray border. The backs carry statistical information and another color image. The set contains the topical subsets: Checklists (266-270), Cover Glory (1-18), Golden Jubilee (271-279), Rookie Class (100-126/415-432), Masked Marauders (181-189), and Top of the Charts (253-261). Key Rookie Cards in this set include Kevin Millwood and Magglio Ordonez. Card number 202A featuring Kerry Wood was issued in factory sets to replace Tony Barron"
I think series 1 was white and series 2 grey.

from beckett OPG
"The 1998 Collector's Choice set (produced by Upper Deck) was issued in two separate series, each containing 265 cards. Packs for both first and second series contained 14 cards and carried a suggested retail price of $1.29. First series packs went live around March, 1998 and second series packs followed suit in June, 1998. Card fronts feature color glossy action player photos framed by a clean white or gray border. The backs carry statistical information and another color image. The set contains the topical subsets: Checklists (266-270), Cover Glory (1-18), Golden Jubilee (271-279), Rookie Class (100-126/415-432), Masked Marauders (181-189), and Top of the Charts (253-261). Key Rookie Cards in this set include Kevin Millwood and Magglio Ordonez. Card number 202A featuring Kerry Wood was issued in factory sets to replace Tony Barron"
I think series 1 was white and series 2 grey.

Thanks for your quick response. I thought the same thing too. However, I have cards - both white and gray bordered - that fall into both series. For example, I have a #485 with a white border.

I hate it when cards are hard to figure out.

Thanks anyway.

Jay

By the way is the #30 Miller on your avatar Jay Miller of the Bruins circa 1988?

I remember these from back in the day. The gray border cards were just part of the regular set, either series 1 or 2. The bigger stars usually with card numbers ending in 5 or 0, if I remember correctly, are the ones with grey borders. They are nothing special, not a parallel or separate set, just a variation within the base set.

Scobes

I remember these from back in the day. The gray border cards were just part of the regular set, either series 1 or 2. The bigger stars usually with card numbers ending in 5 or 0, if I remember correctly, are the ones with grey borders. They are nothing special, not a parallel or separate set, just a variation within the base set.

Scobes

Makes sense now. The grey-bordered cards are of the stars of the day.

Thanks for everyone's help.