Need your opinions whether to get a card graded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewbritton

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Last Christmas I received a two boxes of 2002 Topps, one series 1, and one series 2. While I was just excited to put together the base set, I pulled a Topps buyback 1964 Bill Mazeroski auto 2/100! Pretty cool.

I got to looking at this card and realized that it is in pretty good shape. Really good shape. Good centering, good corners, and crisp picture. I've never done anything with graded cards, but I might give it a shot with this one. What do you all think?

Here's the front:
2011-07-04_11-30-20_641.jpg

And here's the back:
2011-07-04_11-31-12_195.jpg

Now as I was taking the photo I saw how off the back is. How much does that affect the grading? Better yet, anyone know of a good newb FAQ for grading cards?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Matt

Last edited:
Note sure but I had a question about the 64s myself. By now even the best condition 64s are missing the cartoon on the back. Does grading companies mark down for this.

The cartoons on the '64s were revealed when a coin was rubbed over them. If they were rubbed and the cartoon has faded I think Beckett might consider that a lower surface grade...maybe? I would think if the cartoon is not showing because it wasn't rubbed, that would be a plus.

To answer the original question, not sure whether grading your particular card would help the value, as the value is going to be in the fact that's it's a buyback auto. Maybe just get it slabbed. You don't even need an auto grade/authentication since being a buyback with a hologram, it's technically already authenticated.

The cartoons on the '64s were revealed when a coin was rubbed over them. If they were rubbed and the cartoon has faded I think Beckett might consider that a lower surface grade...maybe? I would think if the cartoon is not showing because it wasn't rubbed, that would be a plus.

To answer the original question, not sure whether grading your particular card would help the value, as the value is going to be in the fact that's it's a buyback auto. Maybe just get it slabbed. You don't even need an auto grade/authentication since being a buyback with a hologram, it's technically already authenticated.

I agree with this. If you want to sell it, the buyers are going to be player collectors or HOF collectors I'd guess. Since this is a pretty unique card, I don't think it being graded high would put a particular premium on it.

I agree with this. If you want to sell it, the buyers are going to be player collectors or HOF collectors I'd guess. Since this is a pretty unique card, I don't think it being graded high would put a particular premium on it.

I suppose this answers my question. I was thinking about grading it because of condition, but it seems that what is in demand is the authenticity of the autograph and the fact that it is numbered.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Matt