• 1994 UD Collectors Choice Silver Signature

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Topps Gold Border (Series I/Series II/Update) - year TBD

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Topps Rainbow Foil (Series I/Series II/Update) - year TBD

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Because I don't have enough going on in my life, my stupid brain that never shuts off decided it was time for another undertaking!
That undertaking is another set build for charity - with the success of the Yankee Stadium Legacy set, it feels like it is time once again for The Bench to work on some philanthropy. We donated to cancer research last time, this time I would like to help our veterans and first responders and make our donation to Tunnels 2 Towers.

Please vote on the attached poll and let us know what you would like to help us build. If we decide to go with one of the non-specific builds, we will have a second poll to determine which year to go after. If you have any questions or additional suggestions, please feel free to load up the thread. Poll will be open until October 28th.

Thank you and we look forward to your support and participation!!!

Hi -

Good thinking! From those options, Topps Gold seems like it would net the most money.

Scobes

Make sure you cast a vote!!! Several sets were under consideration, tried to pick the ones that would be easiest to build, would net the most and wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg to procure!

With all the sets, if every member could submit/find 1 card, we would knock it out in a heartbeat!

Hi -

Good thinking! From those options, Topps Gold seems like it would net the most money.

Scobes
The only issue with that is every year will have at least one card that will be hard or expensive to do. Think of the gold RCs. Who would be willing to donate a gold RC of a superstar?

2011 - no way. Trout RC
2012 - Harper
2013 - Arenado
2014 - Mookie
2015 - Lindor
2016 - okay, maybe we could do this one
2017 - Judge
2018 - Ohtani, Acuna, Soto not touching this one
2019 - Tatis
2020 - we may be able to do this one as well
2021 - Chisholm might be pricey
2022 - Witt
2023 - Carroll, Gunnar
2024 - Skenes

So really maybe 2016 and 2020.

The only issue with that is every year will have at least one card that will be hard or expensive to do. Think of the gold RCs. Who would be willing to donate a gold RC of a superstar?

2011 - no way. Trout RC
2012 - Harper
2013 - Arenado
2014 - Mookie
2015 - Lindor
2017 - Judge
2019 - Tatis
2022 - Witt
2023 - Carroll, Gunnar
2024 - Skenes

@Dashcol

Good point. It's just out of the options presented, I thought a Gold Set would do the best. Maybe an update set? Or an older Gold Set?

Scobes

I'm thinking a chrome parallel might be interesting. Maybe one #/50. Any cards that I would be able to contribute are long gone however.

2011 - no way. Trout RC
2012 - Harper
2013 - Arenado
2014 - Mookie
2015 - Lindor
2017 - Judge
2019 - Tatis
2022 - Witt
2023 - Carroll, Gunnar
2024 - Skenes

If it comes down to a big card or two, you never know who may step up and donate one for charity. If not, we can pool $$ donation to buy one. I think all but w handful of years are solid options. Definitely stay away from 18

If it comes down to a big card or two, you never know who may step up and donate one for charity. If not, we can pool $$ donation to buy one. I think all but w handful of years are solid options. Definitely stay away from 18
Yes, 18 is out of the question IMO. I am sure we could get enough donations to cover big cards is need be.

I think 2011 is a no go too. Trout may have dropped A LOT, based on injuries and severe drop off in performance, but a gold 2011 update Trout will still run us $800-900.

I think that is better spent on another set that can be had all in on that set for well under that and give close to that for a charity.

I voted for 2007 red backs, but now am really thinking 2016 Gold would be a good one too.

I'm on the thought that anything outside the last decade is a no go:
1)so many people who had them available have moved them
2)no one is going to be ripping open of the product
3)less "exciting' players for newcomers to the hobby and sport.

Also, I've collected cards for 35 years, I had to go back and look up 2007 red backs because I didn't remember them. I remember silver signature and electric diamond but they fall outside my 10 year lookback. I think just about every baseball collector known to man knows the Topps Gold parallel.

2011 - no way. Trout RC
2012 - Harper
2013 - Arenado
2014 - Mookie
2015 - Lindor
2017 - Judge
2019 - Tatis
2022 - Witt
2023 - Carroll, Gunnar
2024 - Skenes

Thanks for throwing this list together. Definitely lays out what is possible v. what might not be possible.

Definitely keep the suggestions coming - the ultimate goal is to do these charity set builds on a fairly regular basis. So even if we don't do a particular set this time, it will be up for discussion next time.

Also hoping that we can knock this one out a lot quicker than it took us to do the YSL set.

Back