New from Central New York

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gipper1981

Bench Warmer
Hello, I am currently working on Topps Football sets with inserts and variations from 1956-2015. I thought I would post my want list later to see if there were any interested trading partners. I have a ton of football about 50% of which are NY Giants. I little bit of baseball about 50% of which are NY Yankees, a small amount of basketball and a very small of Hockey.

Welcome to The Bench Gipper! I see you are from the Syracuse area. Are there any card stores besides Southpaw in Cicero in the greater Syracuse area? There used to me a glut of card stores in that area from the late 80s and early 90s and Southpaw is the only one I know of that still exists.

Hello, I am currently working on Topps Football sets with inserts and variations from 1956-2015. I thought I would post my want list later to see if there were any interested trading partners. I have a ton of football about 50% of which are NY Giants. I little bit of baseball about 50% of which are NY Yankees, a small amount of basketball and a very small of Hockey.
Welcome Gipper. I have about a half of a set of 1980 football but not much else. I do have a few Fran Tarkenton and a Ahmad Rashad RC. That is the extent of my football but if you need some 1980's I can help out!

Welcome Gipper! I won’t be able to help you out, I stopped collecting football, but maybe I will come across some stuff for you.

I grew up in central New York, a lot of fond memories and a lot of bad memories! T&D Collectibles in Fayetteville is the store that really got me to go from having some cards to collecting cards. Place was a lot of fun, but sadly closed in the mid 90s like so many other stores from the area.

Welcome Gipper! I won’t be able to help you out, I stopped collecting football, but maybe I will come across some stuff for you.

I grew up in central New York, a lot of fond memories and a lot of bad memories! T&D Collectibles in Fayetteville is the store that really got me to go from having some cards to collecting cards. Place was a lot of fun, but sadly closed in the mid 90s like so many other stores from the area.

I wonder if that was the card store that was on East Genessee St/Rte 5 right in the heart of Fayetteville? That was the only card store I knew of in that town although there were so many card stores in that area back then it could have been one of many.. The building of the one I am thinking about was demolished so years back. I remember they had 1996-97 Topps Chrome Basketball which is worth a fortune now.

I wonder if that was the card store that was on East Genessee St/Rte 5 right in the heart of Fayetteville? That was the only card store I knew of in that town although there were so many card stores in that area back then it could have been one of many.. The building of the one I am thinking about was demolished so years back. I remember they had 1996-97 Topps Chrome Basketball which is worth a fortune now.
It was in the Fayetteville Mall, which was on East Genessee St, so yep, probably one and the same. The mall was torn down years ago. I haven’t been back in probably 20 years, so I’m not sure what’s there now. As far as I remember, that was the only one in Fayetteville during that time. There was one in Manlius as well, but I never went there as it was too far for me to walk.

It was in the Fayetteville Mall, which was on East Genessee St, so yep, probably one and the same. The mall was torn down years ago. I haven’t been back in probably 20 years, so I’m not sure what’s there now. As far as I remember, that was the only one in Fayetteville during that time. There was one in Manlius as well, but I never went there as it was too far for me to walk.
I guess I was right about that being one card store of many in that town. The one I was referring to was farther East on East Genesse Street on the other side of the road from the Fayetteville Mall and about a block for the turnoff to Manlius.. I had no idea there was one in that long since demolished Fayetteville Mall.

Since you have not been back in 20 years you might be interested in the fact that Shoppingtown Dewitt is empty and the Great Northern Mall is just about out of business as well. Syracuse is really living up to its title of "Dead Mall Capital of America". Talk about being oversaturated with Malls, Syracuse was it!

In the late 80s urban legend had it that the Syracuse area had the most card stores per capita in the United States. I have no idea if that was true or not, but the number of card stores that closed in that area is truly mind blowing.

I guess I was right about that being one card store of many in that town. The one I was referring to was farther East on East Genesse Street on the other side of the road from the Fayetteville Mall and about a block for the turnoff to Manlius.. I had no idea there was one in that long since demolished Fayetteville Mall.

Since you have not been back in 20 years you might be interested in the fact that Shoppingtown Dewitt is empty and the Great Northern Mall is just about out of business as well. Syracuse is really living up to its title of "Dead Mall Capital of America". Talk about being oversaturated with Malls, Syracuse was it!

In the late 80s urban legend had it that the Syracuse area had the most card stores per capita in the United States. I have no idea if that was true or not, but the number of card stores that closed in that area is truly mind blowing.
Yeah, Carousel took a lot of business from all the smaller malls. At one point it was discussed to make Carousel the largest mall in the US and have it take over from the mall of America. I know those plans fell through, but I remember as a teenager that mall being our go to once it opened and we stopped going to Great Northern. We hardly ever went to Shoppingtown, Dewitt was never a place we decided or had any other reason to go to. I drove through Syracuse this past summer, didn’t stop but at least drove through, and it saddens me how the place I grew up truly declined. The Carousel plaza has definitely changed though and looks like it is at least still going strong.

Welcome to The Bench Gipper! I see you are from the Syracuse area. Are there any card stores besides Southpaw in Cicero in the greater Syracuse area? There used to me a glut of card stores in that area from the late 80s and early 90s and Southpaw is the only one I know of that still exists.
I am pretty sure that is the last one, he is still hanging in there though.

Yeah, Carousel took a lot of business from all the smaller malls. At one point it was discussed to make Carousel the largest mall in the US and have it take over from the mall of America. I know those plans fell through, but I remember as a teenager that mall being our go to once it opened and we stopped going to Great Northern. We hardly ever went to Shoppingtown, Dewitt was never a place we decided or had any other reason to go to. I drove through Syracuse this past summer, didn’t stop but at least drove through, and it saddens me how the place I grew up truly declined. The Carousel plaza has definitely changed though and looks like it is at least still going strong.
Do you guys remember Twilight Book and Game on Salina St in Syracuse? I used to go there a lot. I remember buying packs of 1984 Topps and Donruss looking for Mattingly There were five or six card stores north of Syracuse I would go to buy all of the late 80's to early 90's junk. Southpaw in North Syracuse is still there but I buy most of my stuff online now.

Do you guys remember Twilight Book and Game on Salina St in Syracuse? I used to go there a lot. I remember buying packs of 1984 Topps and Donruss looking for Mattingly There were five or six card stores north of Syracuse I would go to buy all of the late 80's to early 90's junk. Southpaw in North Syracuse is still there but I buy most of my stuff online now.
Yeah, I would go to Twilight when I was playing MTG. We would play tournaments there. I don’t remember them having a great sports card selection.

I absolutely remember Twilight on North Salina Street. I used to go in there alot in the late 80s. I think there was a 2nd Twilight in Utica as well. There was a card store near Twilight that I used to buy a lot from (maybe on Park St) but that went out of business after the owner was caught stealing from mailboxes!

On rte 11 North of the airport I used to go to Bachsteins who also used to run the 2nd Sunday card shows on State Fair Blvd. There were several big card stores in that stretch of RTe 11 with Southpaw being the Northernmost.

Did you hear about the three break ins at Southpaw last year? That was a wild story!

Last edited:
I absolutely remember Twilight on North Salina Street. I used to go in there alot in the late 80s. I think there was a 2nd Twilight in Utica as well. There was a card store near Twilight that I used to buy a lot from (maybe on Park St) but that went out of business after the owner was caught stealing from mailboxes!

On rte 11 North of the airport I used to go to Bachsteins who also used to run the 2nd Sunday card shows on State Fair Blvd. There were several big card stores in that stretch of RTe 11 with Southpaw being the Northernmost.

Did you hear about the three break ins at Southpaw last year? That was a wild story!
I did, I was actually in the store after they hit the second time. Then I saw the story about the third break in on Syracuse.com. He became a huge target when boxes started selling for $400 or $500, I guess.

Yeah, I would go to Twilight when I was playing MTG. We would play tournaments there. I don’t remember them having a great sports card selection.
That's funny, I mostly bought baseball cards there, I don't remember non-sports cards. I did buy toy soldiers, BattleTech stuff and war games there though. They got mad at me once when I tried to buy a bunch of Yankees and Giants out of their set building inventory. Which I understand now, but at the time I was pretty irritated.