Nolan Ryan Pacific "Ghostwriter" cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdthakid36

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Does anyone have any information, or know if any links that contain any information on the Ryan Pacific "Ghostwriter" cards? I have one, and i'm not sure how many are out there. I got it from a fellow trader several years ago. It's one of the Ryan Express set cards, and has a message on the back in "glow in the dark" letters. Pretty cool. I've heard about there being more out there, but I can't seem to find much information on them!

There are also several other variations of those sets that i'll be looking for, such as the 7 No-Hitter, Pacific 8, etc...that have different borders and designs. Beckett doesn't list them, so that makes it more challenging...which also makes it more fun right?

Once I get my cards organized again I'll be able to scan in some variations. (it's not that they're a mess...there's just a couple of boxes I haven't sorted or catalogued from when I basically used the living room and hall closet as my "hobby office...".)

As always, I appreciate any info. I know there's many, many knowledgeable traders here that know 100 times more than i'll ever know.

Never seen or heard of the ghostwriter cards, but I must have some for my collection!!! I have several of the different border colors from the Pacific set. I think there is a silver and a gold version.

Were they from the 1991 or 1992 set? And how do you tell if it is glow in the dark? Do I let them sit in the light and then turn the lights out and see if they glow? I have two 3200 count boxes of these that I picked up at an auction so if I have any I will let you guys know.

Never seen or heard of the ghostwriter cards, but I must have some for my collection!!! I have several of the different border colors from the Pacific set. I think there is a silver and a gold version.

Hey Tim. The Ghostwriter cards definitely exist. I have one of them, and i've been told there are atleast 10 out there. One problem is that they're so rare! I have seen some selling for over $100 each...which is problem #2...Beckett doesn't have any information on them, as far as I know. So the people that have them, and are knowledgable in the hobby, will ask an extremely high price for them...understandable, and i'm not knocking it.

I was fortunate enough to pick one up in a trade, and the guy was extremely generous! Don't you love the people that cut you a break to help out a collection!?!

As for the border cards, I have several of the silver and gold too. I've seen a striped version, and I want to say there's another one out there (besides the white backs and other insert sets related to Pacific).

Tom seems to be very knowledgable in all of this, and has been big in getting me some very helpful info. If my bank account was large enough, I could probably capitalize even more and buy some stuff from him!

Were they from the 1991 or 1992 set? And how do you tell if it is glow in the dark? Do I let them sit in the light and then turn the lights out and see if they glow? I have two 3200 count boxes of these that I picked up at an auction so if I have any I will let you guys know.

I'm not sure if there are any from the '91 set, because the one I have and some of the others i've seen are high numbers, which leads me to believe they were in the '92 set (number over 111). You can feel the letters on the back, but I can't make out the message unless it's in the dark. I went through all of my sets and doubles, and couldn't find any others. I guess they're that rare!!!

That would be great if you had atleast one, especially if it's one we haven't see yet...so I can add it to my Master Checklist...for tracking purposes. I doubt you would let it go, or atleast not easily...ha ha. I'm still waiting on those lotto numbers to work for me...and then I could offer a couple grand a pop for them, lol.

Good luck if you decide to search through all of them. Please keep us posted!

Now, lets see some more feedback! The more the better...maybe we can get Beckett the info they need to add it to the database!

I'm not sure if there are any from the '91 set, because the one I have and some of the others i've seen are high numbers, which leads me to believe they were in the '92 set (number over 111). You can feel the letters on the back, but I can't make out the message unless it's in the dark. I went through all of my sets and doubles, and couldn't find any others. I guess they're that rare!!!

That would be great if you had atleast one, especially if it's one we haven't see yet...so I can add it to my Master Checklist...for tracking purposes. I doubt you would let it go, or atleast not easily...ha ha. I'm still waiting on those lotto numbers to work for me...and then I could offer a couple grand a pop for them, lol.

Good luck if you decide to search through all of them. Please keep us posted!

Now, lets see some more feedback! The more the better...maybe we can get Beckett the info they need to add it to the database!

I am going to a cookout today but I am going to look through all my cards tonight. I will let you know if I find any.

I will check mine as well, never know!

Thanks for the info also, I had not heard of a striped version of the Pacific cards. Man, how many different gimmicks did they have??

jdthkid36; there are 10 Ghostwriting Messages cards.
There is 10 different messages on those 1993 Pacific cards. I had 4 different ones at one time.They are very scarce pulls.
[email protected]

Tom, thanks for the help. Do you know of any websites that give some more in-depth information on these cards? Such as, card #'s and messages, where they came from, etc? I would love to have a site or something that I can add to my favorites where I can reference information.

You know I often hear Beckett doesn't have this or that. I say go to the manufacture's web-site directly. My good friend printed out a list of a certain set. She printed it from Beckett. I told her the list was incomplete. The list she printed only had 89 cards. The set from when I started to collect it has 94. I gave her the link to the manufacture's web-site she saw the list from Beckett was short. So the company has not information them Beckett does. They can't carry every single card ever printed. Just a heads up.

You know I often hear Beckett doesn't have this or that. I say go to the manufacture's web-site directly. My good friend printed out a list of a certain set. She printed it from Beckett. I told her the list was incomplete. The list she printed only had 89 cards. The set from when I started to collect it has 94. I gave her the link to the manufacture's web-site she saw the list from Beckett was short. So the company has not information them Beckett does. They can't carry every single card ever printed. Just a heads up.

Great info! I'm not suprised, especially with "oddball" sets, such as Pacific. I've checked the Pacific site, but I will do some more browsing and see what I can come up with. I found about 10-12 Ghostwriter references last night...i'm a little concerned that they're more random, and not sure how many were produced of each number...The list will more than likely never be complete and may have many flaws, but i'm going to do the best I can to make it as accurate as possible.

Thanks again for the reply and advice!

I've never seen these but was intrigued. Found some images of these available on worthpoint.com

1_9414439de15e6e8ba2df698cc9f5f4a4.jpg

Card numbers #129 (Drugs Ruin Dreams), #144 (Say No To Drugs), #149 (Winners Don't Use Drugs), #186 (Just Say No), #201 (To Get The Best Grades You Have To Study), #202 (To Get The Best Grades You Have To Study) are shown. #134 is also shown but the message is not available.

1_60c26d88a4324839ba40c6213fdfb3f1.jpg

After writing that, I found this too:

1_c39f0dad998162b381a59a126b4500d0.jpg

You are bidding on a complete set of Nolan Ryan Pacific Ghostwriter cards. You will receive the following cards: #114 D.A.R.E TO KEEP KIDS OFF DRUGS, # 124 BE SMART DON'T USE DRUGS OR ALCOHOL, # 132 IN SPORTS DRUGS CAN CAUSE YOU TO MAKE AN ERROR, # 138 DRUGS RUIN DREAMS, # 140 SAY NO TO DRUGS, 159 WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS, # 173 JUST SAY NO, # 179 STAY IN SCHOOL, # 208 TO GET THE BEST GRADES YOU HAVE TO STUDY. Winner pays $10.00 for priority delivery conformation to insurance. Thanks for looking and good luck.

Last edited:
I've never seen these but was intrigued. Found some images of these available on worthpoint.com

Card numbers #129 (Drugs Ruin Dreams), #144 (Say No To Drugs), #149 (Winners Don't Use Drugs), #186 (Just Say No), #201 (To Get The Best Grades You Have To Study), #202 (To Get The Best Grades You Have To Study) are shown. #134 is also shown but the message is not available.

1_60c26d88a4324839ba40c6213fdfb3f1.jpg

After writing that, I found this too:

1_c39f0dad998162b381a59a126b4500d0.jpg

You are bidding on a complete set of Nolan Ryan Pacific Ghostwriter cards. You will receive the following cards: #114 D.A.R.E TO KEEP KIDS OFF DRUGS, # 124 BE SMART DON'T USE DRUGS OR ALCOHOL, # 132 IN SPORTS DRUGS CAN CAUSE YOU TO MAKE AN ERROR, # 138 DRUGS RUIN DREAMS, # 140 SAY NO TO DRUGS, 159 WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS, # 173 JUST SAY NO, # 179 STAY IN SCHOOL, # 208 TO GET THE BEST GRADES YOU HAVE TO STUDY. Winner pays $10.00 for priority delivery conformation to insurance. Thanks for looking and good luck.

Yeah, I found that same site. I don't know how that guy managed to find so many...almost like he created them, ha ha. I've searched so many pages on Google, and that's pretty much all i've been able to find! Why can't Pacific still be in business...it would be great to consult a former employee that might get us some more useful information. I had over 600 cards from those sets and didn't find a single one!

Thanks for the reference!