October 2021 Show Off Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I made this framed display with my Grandfather's cartoons from both Baseball Digests. I was going to frame individually, but the magazines are an odd size (about 8 3/4 x 5 1/2) so I decided to do this, framing the cartoons side by side, wrapped in plastic sleeves, with the custom cut signature card underneath!

20211022_205546_HDR.jpg

Gramps first worked for Chicago's American newspaper, where in 1948 he met a pretty copy girl, who he married in 1950. They became my beloved Grandparents, my best friends, and the people who made me who I am today.
20211022_205558_HDR.jpg
The Chicago Tribune acquired the American in 1974, which had undergone several name and ownership changes over the years, and Gramps retired as a news editor in 1989. He was tremendously proud of his work with the paper, as he was responsible for the front page layout for years as well. It was fascinating to listen to his reminisces about his experiences and how he and his team on the paper shaped history in the making....though he was quite humble, and never would have admitted that himself!

I'm so happy this came together the way it did!

Last edited:
@Trishlp

Thank you so much for your kind words! This is my favorite item ever!! So glad everyone has enjoyed seeing it!

God bless,

Kevin
Kevin, You may want to display your treasure out of direct sunlight. The paper will darken and become very brittle if allowed so see the sunlight. Beautiful family heirloom you have there.

Kevin, You may want to display your treasure out of direct sunlight. The paper will darken and become very brittle if allowed so see the sunlight. Beautiful family heirloom you have there.
@PRosefan1

Thanks friend! It is hanging on a wall where it will never be exposed to the direct sunlight, I really appreciate you mentioning that! Thanks also for your kind words; my 3 children thought it was pretty cool too!

God bless,

Kevin

unearthed in my dad's basement... thought it was long gone. very dusty and seems to have been picked through at a yard sale, but still.
IMG_3704.jpgIMG_3703.jpg

my pavel bure and eric lindros rookie collections seem to be intact. lots more to sort. there another huge box too.

sorted another row of the 5000 count box, found another chipper rookie w a banged up corner, and these ones that are very clean:

Griffey Jr. Post Cereal, Thome rookie, and 2 jordans. Also these 1990 topps stickers.

IMG_3717.jpgIMG_3718.jpg