Opinion thread...... Who's undervalued?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
In my opinion, Pete Alonso and Aaron Judge rookie cards are far below where they should be. Who do you think should be added to the list of underrated and undervalued?

I agree with you on Judge. As long as he stays healthy, which seems to be a big question, his cards should be much higher. I am amazed at how undervalued Rafael Devers is, especially when compared to Acuna and Tatis.

One thing that I think is always undervalued are parallels (especially refractors and prisms) of legends. Whether it is MLB guys like Rickey Henderson and Dale Murphy or NFL guys like Dan Marino and Joe Montana or NBA guys like Barkley or magic johnson. I think those cards are much more desirable than the Beckett values show

One thing that I think is always undervalued are parallels (especially refractors and prisms) of legends. Whether it is MLB guys like Rickey Henderson and Dale Murphy or NFL guys like Dan Marino and Joe Montana or NBA guys like Barkley or magic johnson. I think those cards are much more desirable than the Beckett values show
My thoughts on legends similar but in a different era. THe biggest segment of undervalued cards is vintage football which did not rise anywhere near what thier counterparts in vintage baseball and basketball did. Although not technically vintage you can have three A list HOF RCs for $50. Marino, Elway and Rice are all $50 and have not budged in value while other cards have gone up exponentially. Montana's RC is only $100 and it gets even worse theolder you go in football with a few exceptions like the Payton and Bradshaw RCs.

I also think mid-late 70s baseball is totally overlooked. 1974 and1976 through 1980 are way undervalued. Sure they are a little boring but they are hard as hell to find centered and a few of the years seem to have lower quality cardboard stock (1974 and 1977s to be specific) 1970s basketball from 72-73 up seems to be in the same boat as 1970s baseball. Centering on the basketball does not seem as bad but some of the isssues cardboard stock seems to be inferior (1973-74 comes to mind right off). Lots of affordable RCs and stars in both 70s baseball and basketball.

One modern RC that I am high on is the 1992 Bowman Mariano Rivera. Talk about a GOAT, I pick up his RCs any time I can get a good deal.

Thanks for the input fellas. Couldn’t agree more. Mariano is one of the few rookies from 72 and up that I don’t have. Strictly speaking baseball. The other sports I’m thin at best.

Thanks for the input fellas. Couldn’t agree more. Mariano is one of the few rookies from 72 and up that I don’t have. Strictly speaking baseball. The other sports I’m thin at best.
I have to admit that Mariano's RC is not the best looking card in the world but it is his only RC and the 1992 Bowman was a lot less produced than other issues of that era. Everytime I see one, I am drawn to it like a moth to the flame. LOL I am not a Yankees fan but I guess it is an acknowledgement to his greatness on my part. I think he is the first and only player to garner 100% of the votes in his HOF ballot. Obviously many, many others should have been unanamous selections but he was the first.

Good topic BTW. We can really use more opinion type topics on The Bench and this fits that niche.

What about Clayton Kershaw. Tied for 20th best career ERA at 2.49, 27th in all-time strikeouts at 2,729, closing in on 3000. Ks. Has 190 wins. Age 34. You never know with pitchers, he might have one year left, or 10 on the extreme. I did see his Topps Heritage RC go up from $15 to $40, the last time I looked. It was in the 2008 High Numbers Series, but not a SP.

Last edited:
I could be tempted to part with one of my Mariano RCs if you would trade me that graded/authenticated 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes Mantle auto. You might have to throw a few more things into the deal but I could be swayed to part with one. LMAO!! THAT is some item you have there!!

Two things I remember about those 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes. I always seemed to need Charlie Gerhinger for my sets and that the Mantle puzzle pieces ended up more valuable than the actual cards! Pretty cool oddball issue that may not be worth much but cards cost so little back then it didn't matter.

I could be tempted to part with one of my Mariano RCs if you would trade me that graded/authenticated 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes Mantle auto. You might have to throw a few more things into the deal but I could be swayed to part with one. LMAO!! THAT is some item you have there!!

Two things I remember about those 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes. I always seemed to need Charlie Gerhinger for my sets and that the Mantle puzzle pieces ended up more valuable than the actual cards! Pretty cool oddball issue that may not be worth much but cards cost so little back then it didn't matter.
First, I’ll think about your offer. Lol second, I have a signed Charlie Gerhinger from the same set. I thing that was made for having signed!!

What about Clayton Kershaw. Tied for 20th best career ERA at 2.49, 27th in all-time strikeouts at 2,729, closing in on 3000. Ks. Has 190 wins. Age 34. You never know with pitchers, he might have one year left, or 10 on the extreme. I did see his Topps Heritage RC go up from $15 to $40, the last time I looked. It was in the 2008 High Numbers Series, but not a SP.
I think Clayton’s topps update is 200 bucks. It should probably be higher. He’s been so good for so long. First ballot regardless of win total imo.

Not sure about cards but in my opinion one of the most,if not the most, underrated player is Garrett Cooper for the Marlins.

Not sure about cards but in my opinion one of the most,if not the most, underrated player is Garrett Cooper for the Marlins.
I follow the box scores on BR when I’m camping and his stat sheets often look filled up. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about him. Don’t get to see many Marlins games!

My choice for undervalued player is Paul Goldschmidt. His 2011 Update RC is only $30 (along with Altuve) and he's just short of 300 career HRs (Altuve hasn't broken 200 yet). Even his second year cards are dirt cheap!