OUCH - Upper Deck in trouble for counterfieting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dont know what the nfl was suied for but did they try to rip them off, if its not the same thing that upperdeck had done then there might of been a reason they got off and they might not of had a rat in there company like uppdeck does. But thanks for the 2 cents

You are correct. As I understand it the usfl, spearheaded by Donald Trump, basically tried to shake down the nfl by trying to force them to merge which would have cost the nfl a huge sum of money. Unlike what Upper Deck did the nfl did nothing to rip off anyone.

"The United States Football League was a professional football league which lasted for only three seasons. Games were contested during the spring months, and the league was originally designed as an alternative for National Football League from March through July. However, following the 1985 season, league owners decided to take on the NFL head-to-head by proposing a 1986 fall season. Most stadiums the USFL teams played in were already operated by NFL teams. The USFL then sued the NFL, claiming it was a monopoly under antitrust laws. A jury determined the NFL was a monopoly, but only awarded the USFL a total of $3.76 in treble damages." ($1 in damages, tripled, + 76 cents interest)

thanks mintman just b/c two big companies have been or are in a lawsuit doenst mean its going to have the same outcome or details thru out the case for it to be the same thing. But some people see it as this big company got off without paying crap so why cant this company do it. If what upperdeck is accused of is true then they deserve to lose money, nfl has been around a long time and just because donald was finally in a buisness that didnt make him a billion dollars he wanted to sue somebody to buy a new hair piece wasnt right and the jury did the right thing and smacked him in the face with the ruling. $3.76 cents is a huge smack in the face b/c when he heared they ruled in his favor he was seeing dollar signs and when he found out it only got him that he lost hundred of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees for it. Sure hes got enough but its nice to see people sticking it to people like him. thanks for the info.

Ok guys. The point is not that these cases are similar, but rather that just because a company has money and is sued and found guilty (which the NFL was found) it does not mean that they will be hit with big punitive damages. Case histories show that there really is no rhyme or reason to the damages awarded by judges and juries.

Your example was no where near the same thing. NFL did nothing wrong but if upperdeck did what was in the aritcle they are going to lose alot of money, there is no way around it. That is the point sueing somebody. If they wanted them in jail they would of pressed charges, this case is about money they think they should of gotten or money they think they can get out of it.

That is exactly what the USFL vs. NFL lawsuit was about -- MONEY. It was not a criminal case, but a civil case. Also, the NFL did do something wrong, hence the judgment in favor of the USFL. However, the jury did not feel that the USFL lawyers did a good enough job proving damages, and therefore only awarded the one dollar. If Upper Deck's lawyers are much better than the Konami lawyers, you could see a much smaller award than expected. For the last time, I'm not saying that is going to happen, however, there is no way you can predict what is going to happen.

To anyone who has ever read the book Card Sharks, nothing that Upper Deck would do would be surprising.

They have a long history of unethical behavior leading back to the earliest days of the company.

Michael

Still have it in my bookshelf. You talk about product that went out the back door, there were big rumors that the Griffey RC #1 was printed in bulk for the owners.

I can e-mail my contact inside UD. I seriously doubt that they will be able to comment on the situation though.

Tal

jdshuskers- This is what I meant when I said people like you think they are the same b/c the have money in them. The nfl has done the same thing for a long time and another company was going out of buisness and tried to do something to make up for it, how is that the same thing upperdeck did. Clearly the people who decided the case with the nfl really could careless or didn't think what the nfl did or was doing by the amount of money they awarded the minor football league. IT was a case of we cant survive b/c everybody likes you and plays in your league and nobody watches us and we dont have any good players unless they smoke some green stuff and cant play in the nfl so we make no money. Upperdeck makes cards and that is there area of exper. and know what they did if caught was going to cost them and from the other things coming out should of been caught or paid a long time ago.

This could be REALLY bad news for me trying to get my last 2 redemptions for my 08 Masterpieces Stroke of Genius auto set. I've been waiting on the Griffey for 14 months now, and the Victor Martinez for around 6 months or so.

They were supposed to be produced in August 2008 when the product was released. They lost the Griffey and are now reprinting it. They don't have a clue about the Victor Martinez. I'm calling today!

You are correct. As I understand it the usfl, spearheaded by Donald Trump, basically tried to shake down the nfl by trying to force them to merge which would have cost the nfl a huge sum of money. Unlike what Upper Deck did the nfl did nothing to rip off anyone.

"The United States Football League was a professional football league which lasted for only three seasons. Games were contested during the spring months, and the league was originally designed as an alternative for National Football League from March through July. However, following the 1985 season, league owners decided to take on the NFL head-to-head by proposing a 1986 fall season. Most stadiums the USFL teams played in were already operated by NFL teams. The USFL then sued the NFL, claiming it was a monopoly under antitrust laws. A jury determined the NFL was a monopoly, but only awarded the USFL a total of $3.76 in treble damages." ($1 in damages, tripled, + 76 cents interest)

I saw a article that says Trump still has the uncashed check in is desk.

im sure it was a good kick to the teeth for him since he is use to getting his way or being able to buy his way in life all the time

Looks like Upperdeck and Konami have come to a settlement.....No figures...But not the 100 hundred of millions or $1.00 (like I was wondering about). Best regards, David

In the end, it will be the collectors that loose

Reading the responses of folks, I think that they are correct to be concerned. Any number of outcomes of this debacle are possible, none of them good.

At this point I am curious and wonder if all, or just part of, Upper Deck's 2010 print run of Ultimate Collection and Signature Stars will become public. Remember the Alex Gordon cards? With this in mind, I have to laugh at the folks in Carlsbad California labeling these issues as 2009 Baseball, including a waiver statement (Upper Deck is) "not authorized by Major League Baseball or its member teams." I am not a lawyer, but doubt that this lame waiver of liability will stop MLB properties from filing a cease and desist order in court.

Thinking about this, Upper Deck is receiving a lot of free press and is certainly going to have more. There may also be a run on Upper Deck Ultimate Collection and Signature Stars.

Who will be winners here? Upper Deck? Baseball? Lawyers - Absolutely. Collectors - NO.

Make me worry that they 1) won't be around for long from what I read 2) what else have they done that may not be on the up and up

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/hitting_the_deck_tEGWRrnsRaeT64DijxTQXK

Still have it in my bookshelf. You talk about product that went out the back door, there were big rumors that the Griffey RC #1 was printed in bulk for the owners.

Definitely a book I want to get! I have heard those same rumors, James. Don't know how much is fact or fiction, or how reliable those rumors are, but it's a big reason that card (and it's an awesome card) books for as little as it does.

All of that being said, I sure would like to see Upper Deck get it's house in order. I do like the product, even if I am an old Topps guy.