Owners Please check in this thread: Financials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavlite

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Everyone needs to keep some things in mind with the new league as far as Financials are concerned. SOme of us know alot about financial issues within the game from the original BSL, others are completely new.

Cory and I have decided that the salary cap is going to be impossible to enforce. So teams do not have an individual salary caps. That being said there are a ton of things to consider financially:

A) Running in the Red: Based on budget you may need to run your team in the red during a season, if you finish the season in the red you make up that money with your cash reserves, which we do have a limit on of 20 Million Dollars.

B) Owner sets the budget: You are the team manger not the owner. The Owner sets your budget. You NEED to keep this in mind when dealing with your teams future. If you run the year in the red, eat up a bunch of your cash reserves, don't field a strong team, have attendance drop, etc. Your budget can and more than likely will get slashed for the next season, forcing you to scramble in the offseason. This is not advised.

C) Releasing players: immediately pays out the remaining contract years at full value of players you are releasing. This can wreak havoc on your financials. Make sure you know how much it is going to cost you before releasing a player out right. (Career ending injuries and retirement are the only players released without cost) ( also keep an eye on your players contract page, some players have awards built in to their contract, so say, Roger Clemens wins the cy young in 2007, The cubs will owe him 650K for that out of cash reserves)

D) Contract extensions: We ran into this a lot in the first BSL. Locking up dudes is great, but the cost can be insane. The software has a lot of tools we didn't have before (estimated arbitration wants!) so you should now have some idea of what a player(eligible for arb. at least) are wanting to get paid. 20 Million dollar a year contracts are rough, Obviously there are a lot of large contracts out there already but the computer generates those based on stats so those were expected. Some dudes are worth that kinda dough, but No where near the number of huge contracts we had in the original BSL.

E) LUXURY TAX: This is gonna be a big one. I am going to use my team as an example first. If the season was over right now we have a league AVG payroll of $79,055,300.00 The soft cap for luxury tax is about 95 Million dollars. The cubs currently have a payroll of 118 Million dollars. So the Cubs Luxury tax at the end of the year would be about 4.5 Million dollars out of my cash into the revenue sharing pool. Last year (fake 06) The Cubs ended the year 21 Million in the hole. With my current budget I am projecting a positive flow of Just under 2 Million Added to my existing cash on hand OF just under 14 Million, less my luxury tax of 4.5 million I am still looking to lose some money overall going in to 08

F) Minor leaguers: Cory has already stated it a few times, but I want to stress the importance of utilizing your minor league players to their fullest Cheapest potential by making their auto renew 3 year pre arb. salaries work for you. Cory wrote it out clear as a bell so i'll just repost what he has previously said:
cjay101 said:
Everyone needs to be more aware of 'team control' years for young players. A player straight out of the draft costs NOTHING until he is on the 40-man roster. Once he's up, he still earns the MINIMUM for at least 2, usually 3 years. That is 440,000. A HUGE savings over even arbitration eligible players. The majority of players are not THAT expensive in arbitration, so even then, that's 3-4 MORE years of team control without an outrageous long-term deal.

Once people understand a player they draft, THEY CONTROL for 5-6 years and it is financially attractive to keep them around, then the league will play out much more realistically...there are always exceptions. A horrible team with a superstar prospect and NOTHING else could move him for package of mid-tier players with potential, etc. That makes sense. Trading your 1st and 4th rounders for a 34 year old overpaid veteran does NOT except in a rare case where you are contending and lose someone for the season, etc. Not to mention, trading away young SUPERSTARS is killer on your fan interest.

That goes without saying, the big-spending teams will always be able to sign more of the free agents....the good thing is that the game does draft pick compensation, etc so there are some checks and balances.

Example:

My MR Joba Chamberlain.

Major Service: None, None
Service This Yr: None
40-Man Service: None, None
Pro Service: None

He is on the active roster, so he'll accrue Major "active 25-man" service, service this year, 40-man service (you have to be on the 40-man to be on the active 25-man roster, plus his 'pro service' will accrue.

He has no pro service and is a true rookie. This means I can't trade him for at least 1 year as he hasn't even played in the minors for one season.

He will cost me 440k this year. 440k year two. If he's top 17% in his rookie class, he may be eligible for early arbitration in year three (super two status), but the other 83% cost 440k in year three. Arbitration is in year 4, 5, and 6. (if super-two, arb in year 3,4,5,6). After his 6th year, if I have not extended him beyond that season and paid arbitration each offseason, he would be an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with anyone.

The point of 'team control' is that I control where he is for 6 years no matter what. I have the choice to keep paying him each year by year, trade him, offer him a long-term extension. The bottom line is, I control Joba's destiny for 6 years and the other teams have little if any influence on it.
This is my start, I may have more to add :D

-Nick

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you are in the red and have ZERO cash, you are essentially bankrupt. There are 6 franchises that are currently bankrupt. They all need to lower payroll (trades, waivers, etc). You CANNOT release major league contracts to free up salary as you owe the balance of the deal. (Texas already has spent 17 million on player releases this season and we haven't played a game!)

Rule of thumb...if your budget is below what your payroll is OR if you have zero cash....CUT PAYROLL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noted. I can currently take on payroll if anyone is in trouble, but the trade off is a prospect that will save me that money when he comes up.

I was sorta confused on the release and roster moves situation. most guys didnt want to be sent dowqn to the minors and i didnt want to use them so i had to drop them..
its definetly a learning process

I have read and understand. I know I am currently in the red but when the season starts hopefully I can win a little and things will work out. Will the revenues change during the course of the season?

I have read and understand. I know I am currently in the red but when the season starts hopefully I can win a little and things will work out. Will the revenues change during the course of the season?

Your media Package is already set. Numbers to the far right are the numbers from the previous year, So if your team isnt winning You may lose some of your income from ticket sales and merchandise sales. Making the playoffs is always a bonus for extra ticket sales and stuff.

Incomes figured in the preseason are always based off of last years numbers, after a few sims of the real season you'll see if you need to make minor or major changes based on all of those factors

Your media Package is already set. Numbers to the far right are the numbers from the previous year, So if your team isnt winning You may lose some of your income from ticket sales and merchandise sales. Making the playoffs is always a bonus for extra ticket sales and stuff.

Incomes figured in the preseason are always based off of last years numbers, after a few sims of the real season you'll see if you need to make minor or major changes based on all of those factors

I figured that it would change throughout the season based on attendance increases (or decreases) but just wanted to make sure.

Keep in mind that if you are in the red and have ZERO cash, you are essentially bankrupt. There are 6 franchises that are currently bankrupt. They all need to lower payroll (trades, waivers, etc). You CANNOT release major league contracts to free up salary as you owe the balance of the deal. (Texas already has spent 17 million on player releases this season and we haven't played a game!)

Rule of thumb...if your budget is below what your payroll is OR if you have zero cash....CUT PAYROLL.

Cory who are the 6 bankrupt teams? I only see one team with no cash unless I am reading it wrong. Are the Rockies one of the teams in trouble? thanks Pat

Pat depending on your revenue for the upcoming season, You should be fine, However you will be walking a fine line after the season and be in pretty bad shape if your revenue numbers end up dipping really Far.

With our trade you will currently be projecting about a 1.4 Million dollar loss. If your revenues stay the same as the previous season You will hav ethe cash to cover that loss and whatever minor luxury tax you end up owing (probably aroun 800k-1 Million dollars). So as long as your revenue isnt to far off in 07 You will be fine, Just makes for a possibly tougher 08 depending on how many players you have coming off of contract after this season. Looks like you'll have approx 10 Million cleared up in the 08 offseason due to expiring contracts as well as Shields coming to me. Thatll help you out next year if you end up with some younger cheaper dudes to fill those holes.

Last edited:
Cory who are the 6 bankrupt teams? I only see one team with no cash unless I am reading it wrong. Are the Rockies one of the teams in trouble? thanks Pat

Pat - I was referencing teams that were above their owner budget with no cash on hand. The only actual bankrupt team at this point is Texas, who incurred a huge amount of debt due to the release of Cirillo and Jacobs. If he lowers his payroll subtantially, he should be able to get out of the situation.

As for your Rockies....the budget is definitely tight. If you lose a lot of games off the bat and attendance drops, you will be forced to cut payroll. You do have at least a 10 million dollar cushion, so that helps matters.

Keep in mind that all the teams over the soft cap will owe luxury tax regardless of their cash on hand (putting them further in debt if they cannot afford to pay it)